cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Binatone ADSL 500 USB Modem

jeanbsbuchan

Have had loads of bother since my Broadband was connected. I just found an old thread that makes me believe I should ditch the modem. Tonight I switched on and everything went fine and I haven't been cut off yet, but I'm just waiting.
Sometimes the only way I can get connected is by re-installing. I know the drivers are still there but they are not seen. Other times I get cut off every two minutes or so - very frustrating. I was in touch with Binatone but they wern't much help. I have only 1 PC meantime so don't really need a router can anyone advise? None of my college friends are experiencing any of my problems.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Firstly what operating system are you using? XP? ME?

Secondly you say the modem disconnects, does it reconnect without any problems? Are you able to borrow another modem to see if the same happens?

Do you have any other USB devices on your PC?

A slight outsider, could be that your motherboard cannot provide enough power for the modem, when this happens the power on the modem cycles i.e. turns on and off very quickly. This causes your connection to disconnect.

You say you need to re-install sometimes, is the modem still listed within device manager, within control panel?

Cheers,

Aaron
jeanbsbuchan

Hi Aaron

I'm using XP professional o s.

What happens when it disconnects is that the second light ( Line) goes off , flickers on and off and then comes back on steady again and i can reconnect quickly. This can happen every couple of minutes for a long time but at other times holds the connection for hours at a time. I don't have access to another Broadband modem to try as most of my friends have home networks and therefore a router.

I do use a lot of USB devices, printers scanner, pen drive, occasionaly camera.

I installed a new ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard, Athlon 2500 processor, 1 GB DDR memory and Nvidia GForce FX 5200 card before Christmas, so there should be enough power.

On the occasions I need to re-install, the modem is not listed in the device manager.

Hope you can help
Jean
N/A

The problem could be the "old" USB power issue.
Make sure no other USB device is plugged in.
You could try a powered hub, which has cured some of these problems before.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=25577

Really, a gateway router would be a better idea
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=96221
N/A

Jean,

It could be a power issue, I know you may have a new MB but your PSU might not be upto the task of running everything you've got connected to it.
I'd certainly follow cqg4uzg's advice and try disconnecting all your other USB devices and see what happens.
The fact you can re-connect so quickly and at times, stay connected for long periods suggest a power issue.

I am puzzled as to why XP would suddenly lose the drivers, it could be windows plug 'n' play being over zealous but I'm honestly not sure. I think if the modem problem is solved, then this problem should go away.

Finally a gateway router, would be the best way forward. A good one would be the netgear DG834, or if you want to go wireless the DG834 G (same router but capable of wireless connection). They both have a full firewall and are very easy to setup.

Cheers

Aaron
jeanbsbuchan

Tried a powered hub already but wouldn't work on my machine. You may be right it could be a USB issue.

I was discussing with my son about buying a router, so that may be my best option.

Thanks for the advice
Jean
jeanbsbuchan

Hi Aaron,
Funny you should suggest the Netgear DG834 as that was the one my son advised. I think I'll get it because I don't really want to have to unplug all my equipment.

Thanks
Jean
N/A

Jean,

Here is a link to the spec for the Netgear DG834

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=222

DSL Warehouse do the router for £66, here is the link

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DG834&pm=415

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

Tried a powered hub already but wouldn't work on my machine. You may be right it could be a USB issue.

A powered USB hub should work on any machine, PC, Mac (or games box, providing it has USB). It may not have cured the modem problem but it should have worked. If it didn't, take it back.

Having to reload the drivers is a side effect of the power issue. The Plug n Pray sees it as a different dvice on each boot up.
If you start in safe mode and go to hardware manager, you may see multiple instances of the modem. In fact, at some point, the drivers may refuse to be reinstalled.
jeanbsbuchan

Thanks for the advice guys.
I've ordered a router.
jeanbsbuchan

Thanks for the advice guys.
I've ordered a router.