cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with BBCi

N/A

Problems with BBCi

I've started to have a problem with viewing streaming video from BBCi.

At about 1min 30secs into any video, the downloading of data stops (I use DU Meter to see it).

About 30 secs later, the picture freezes.

About 10 secs after that the audio stops.

RealPlayer then sits there, claiming to be "Communicating..." though DU Meter is showing absolutely no traffic. Stays like this for ages.

Then, sometime later, the audio may (but not always) restart, but the video will just show a freeze-frame every 15 seconds or so. It may eventually hiccup all the way to the end with many pauses in the audio, but only ever with freeze-frame video.

Does anyone else see this? Am I alone? Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

Problems with BBCi

My advice would be a total re-install of the RealOne player. However, the way you go about this in not the normal path.

Real.com provide a rather advanced tool to remove allmost every trace of there software, compared to there normal uninstaller. They recomend this tool during problems like this.

This software will actualy remove traces of allmost any Real software, and not just RealOne.

To use this method (you can keep your music DB if you wish), you need to locate and run the application "r1pclean.exe". It should be located in one directories related to Real.
N/A

Problems with BBCi

Many thanks Richard, I'll give it a try.
... back later...
Chris
N/A

Problems with BBCi

Nope, sorry, no go.
Did a complete uninstall (as recommended) and a re-install from real's web site.
Exactly the same symptoms. After about 1 min the data rate drops to about one-half of what it was. Then a few seconds later, data transfer stops altogether, followed by video freeze then audio freeze.

Tried forcing RP to use UDP only (letting a couple of ports through my DrayTek Vigor 2600). Exactly the same.

Tried forcing RP to use HTTP only. Exactly the same.

Tried telling RP that I was only on a 256K ADSL line. Exactly the same.

Getting frustrated. Any other ideas?
N/A

problem with real player

I had the same problem. I found that installing a little freeware prog. called cacheman solved it. This prog. is available on most freeware sites.

I used the programs wizard settings for a desktop and haven't had any probs with real player since.

I don't know if this will help you, but it's free to find out.

Regards,
N/A

Problems with BBCi

So you're saying that the problems I'm having with RealPlayer are something to do with my disk cache? Sounds feasible. Did you do anything specific, or was it just the defaults you accepted?

It's interesting that they talk about "Generic problems" on systems with over 512M RAM. I do have exactly 512M RAM, so we'll see.

I'm a little surprised that I'm having these probs on a 2.53GHz P4 with 512RAM, running WinXP Pro, but there we are.

I did go through a patch in the middle of the night last night where RealPlayer was working just fine for about 30 minutes. No problems. Then it just stopped working as before.

I'll D/L it (at about 920KBits/sec wooooohoooo!!) tonite and give it a go. Keep you posted.

Many thanks for your help
Chris
N/A

Problems with BBCi

Yeah, im having the same problem too. Windows media player streams work fine at 256kbs, in fact they are perfect. Realone streams at 256kbs are a problem though and not just on BBCi but on any site. I tried the cacheman program suggested above but no result.

any more ideas anyone Huh?

P.S. ive tried the realone player and real alternate player too with exactly the same results
N/A

RealPlayer problem

Yes I left the cefault settings in Cacheman for the desktop pc. I'm no expert so thought it all best left alone.

I was merely passing on a tip someone else gave me to try. It seemed to work so I thought I'd pass it on. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

By the way my pc is 800Mhz AMD with 256Mb ram and as I said RealPlayer appears to work fine.

Regards,
N/A

Problems with BBCi

thanks for the tip anyway, i was just born unlucky !