cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems setting up ADSL500 connection

N/A

Im a new subscriber to the 500mb home connection and today took delivery of my adsl modem.

Now, im no novice (i used to have adsl in my old place over a router) but im totally confused here and could do with some help...

1) Modem is all installed ok, now, my ADSL line is not supposed to be activated until Thursday, however, the adsl light came on blinking, and now its on all the time, does this mean my line activation is complete?

2) I run the IE shortcut "Binatone ADSL500 USB Modem Login" the installation put on my desk top and can see how i configure my modem from here, however, im not sure of the setting for Protocol, I set it to PPPoA VC-Mux. When i test the connection with the diagnostic test, it fails at the stage Test PPPoPvc 0 PPP layer connection, but is this because my line isnt active yet?

Hopefully some of you can answer my questions and let me know where im going wrong..
thanks
Baj
10 REPLIES
N/A

PPPoA-VC Mux is the correct setting. I don't really know anything about the activation process, but I would assume that your line hasn't been activated yet as that setting is definitley correct.
N/A

Thanks,
well it all appears to be working now! i changed the connection type to the other pppoA type and it works fine.
So, it also seems wierd to me that i must connect to the internet now through my web browser, is there anyway of having some sort of "dialup" icon to connect through now i have configured the modem correctly?
N/A

I'm not sure about this particular modem but there should
be some sort of start up / dial up Icon.
Have a look on the start /all programs, folders list under Binatone
and see if it's there or look in the Binatone
program file folder
for something like 'dial up.exe' or a .exe file in the WAN drivers
section of which you can then copy to desktop.
N/A

There should be a connection icon in your Network Connections section of Control Panel you can use (have to be vague as I'm not sure which OS you're using but you'll have a folder labelled something like the above), However, to be honest you might as well drag it into your startup folder not onto your desktop - make sure you have reconnect on disconnect enabled and you should never have to manually connect again.

DinAlt
N/A

I was wondering about the same thing. As far as I can see each time I start my PC I have to open the shortcut and click the connect button (Using XP Home). If, for example, I were to delete the shortcut accidentally, how would I go about connecting then? Looking under the Binatone folder in my programme files doesn't show anything which looks like it might do the trick, so would I have to re-install the driver to get the shortcut up again?
N/A

Goto the properties of the shortcut and find out where it leads to.

You will likely then know what needs to be restored.
N/A

Goto the properties of the shortcut and find out where it leads to.

You will likely then know what needs to be restored.

You can also then create a desktop shortcut or add it to the "startup" section of the "programmes", which would auto initiate when you start the PC
N/A

The shortcut doesn't actually seem to lead anywhere on my system, just to a url. I haven't had a go at adding it to the startup section, but I am not sure if this would work, because you actually have to click on a button on the web page that comes up to connect , so I suppose startup would not be able to do this?
N/A

What a strange way to get a connection, via a "button" on an local webpage.
In such an instance, the "startup" idea would not really work.
I use a router here and it has been some time since I used a USB modem, so I am shooting in the dark and cannot really advise further with this particular modem.
However, I would expect there must be the relative connection and login details somewhere on your system that can be used to autoinitiate a connection. Hopefully others can help on this matter.
N/A

If you modem is the Binatone ADSL 500 provided by plusnet,

Just type in http://192.168.1.2 should take you to the webpage of the modem, I set one of these up recently and there is a option where you can enable the automatic connection without having to move anyhting to a start folder

Check this link for further info. Make sure it is the same modem and not the earlier model

http://www.ndo.com/ndo/Support/Binatone_ADSL_USB_Modem_-_Support_and_Installation_Guide/supadslbinus...