cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems installing Binatone ADSL500 Drivers.

markgillespie
Grafter

A friend has just signed up to Plusnet (on my recommendation), and was having problems setting up their hardware, so me being a nice chap, offered them help.

Anyhows, I set up their microfilters and stuff, but got bogged down with problems installing the drivers for the Binatone ADSL500 USB modem.

The drivers attempt to install, the "network interface" USB device seems to install, but the actuall network device fails to install, each time reporting a "access is denied" error. I tried disabling NortonAV etc, and ensured they were running as Admin, all with no luck. Even resorted to using System Restore to send their XP install as far back in time as I could (although still not a "clean" install), alas it still did the same. I also tried using different USB port (although I think the problem is not with the USB interface side of the driver)

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

If I don't have any replies, Can I raise a support request on someone else's behalfHuh
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

There have been a lot on on-going issues with the Binatone ADSL 500 drivers and there are lots of threads on the subject. The main problems appear to be on WinXP and possible conflicts with SP1.

There were also a couple that posted exact install sequence details which worked for them. I suggest you use the forum search and look for 'Binatone ADSL 500' and you may come accross them or other advice that may help.
markgillespie
Grafter

Well I would, but the Plusnet foums search is so bad, I cannot find the post.

A "simple" boolean search titled "Binatone AND XP" results on no matches, a search for "Binatone" results in 700 pages worth of possible results....

The few posts I have seen, resulted in the user throwing the Binatone 500 in the bin, and buying something else.... I may have to pass on that same advice to my friend who I recommended to Plusnet, which will leave a rather poor initial reaction...

Why the hell are Plusnet supplying modems that are essentially XP incompatible? It's pretty much the defacto operating system these days.

Even if I DO waste numerous more hours trying to get the damn thing installed, I then have to recommend to my friend, that he does not install any Post SP1 Microsoft security updates, for fear of breaking it again... That's gonna go down well also....

I'm going to get him to raise a support ticket, and see what Plusnet have to say about the POS Binatone Modem and XP....

I have plenty of better ways to spend a Sunny afternoon than messing aroung getting a "sorta" XP compatible modem working, and even then it sounds like regular blips are to be expected....

Very Disappointed, and very glad I bought myself a Vigor 2600We when I signed up.....
Community Veteran

Unfortunatly with a lot of these cheap USB modems, you get what you pay for and device driver development (and more likely compatibility testing) follows the same lines. This is a fault of the Binatone rather than PlusNet though. I may also add that not everyone has problems with installing the software/drivers or getting it working so it appears to be down to specific PCs configs that are causing this issue, and as such are very difficult to solve.

I suspect you wont get much out of support, many have been down that way and come up empty.

To save you the trouble here are a few threads with help:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13768

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14389

If the above does not help, then my advice would be to ditch the USB modem and go for an external ethernet connected one, you will have a lot less trouble in the long run. A cheap and very capable replacement is the ebuyer ASR8000 for about £25, this is actually an origo ASR8000 and have been used by many people here without problems.
markgillespie
Grafter

If it's not upto the job of working with XP, then why on earth of Plusnet supplying it...

As for not supporting the hardware they supplied, then that is totally outragous. If they want to supply cheap crap, then they have to support it.

Washing of hands is NOT an option...
Community Veteran

If it's not upto the job of working with XP, then why on earth of Plusnet supplying it...

I did not say it was not upto the job, It is up to the job for the majority of users who have it. It is just that when it does not work it is very difficult to determin the cause. This USB modem is used by a lot of other ISPs and their members are getting similar issues which range from driver conflicts, hardware issues with USB ports, power issues with USB ports, power supplies (not being able to spply enough current for the modem) etc etc. There are alsi motherboard chipsets like VIA and SiS who have a long track record of bad USB ports. None of the issues I have mentioned could have been forseen or solved by plusnet because it is a local config related problem. Cheap USB products mean full and comprehensive compatibility testing just does not happen.

As for not supporting the hardware they supplied, then that is totally outragous. If they want to supply cheap crap, then they have to support it.

I did not say they do not support it, I am saying that plusnet CS don't know everything and cannot solve all problems. There are far too many variations of hardware, software, drivers and OSs to ever be able to solve every single problem.

The one you have is in that category, extreamly diffficult to solve over the phone or via tickets.

Washing of hands is NOT an option...

I never said it was but a reality pill is required here. I mearly said that others with similar driver related issues have not been able to solve it by speaking to support in the past due to the reasons I gave above. By all means try but don't expect miracles.
N/A

Binatone ADSL500 3 light modem

my modem works ok! :mrgreen:

I am running a Jetway 663ASUltra Mobo(Via Chipset KT133A)
with a 1.3GHz Athlon CPU and 512Mb of Ram.
pcorker
Grafter

Me too!
Installs and works fine on Win98SE and WinXP SP1