cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting with a Linksys WAG54G

N/A

Hi,

I am having problems connecting using a Linksys WAG54G. The BT Voyager shipped to me by Plus Net manages to synchronise with the ADSL and I can connect/authenticate/surf sucessfully using this modem. The Linksys does not synchronise (or even attempt to as far as I can tell, not ADSL lights at all).

One obvious possible problem is a dodgy Linksys. Can anoyone think of any tests I can do, apart from try a third modem, to remove this as a possibility?

Thanks
10 REPLIES
Julie
Grafter

Hi,

I have read good reports and bad reports on this Router.

Whether you have a dodgy one or not I don't know, some reports I have seen where several people have sent 1 or even 2 back, so it's possible.

There is a good review here

It has lots of information that should hopefully help you decide Smiley
N/A

I had to return one of these on monday. It was only a week old and the ethernet port2 stopped working - as I was on the phone to their tech support as it happens!!! I would not get another one, but then I have been through 3 routers in th e last 2 weeks as they all went kaput. All were from different manufacturers as well, not sure what that says really - sticking to my 3com for the moment as it seems to be ok!!!!!!!!!
N/A

Both me and a mate have these, there brillant. No probs at all.

Make sure you have the internet settings right,

I stuck mine on
RFC 2364 PPoA
VPI - 0
VCI - 38
And VC multiplexing.

MTU: 1430 - seemed to work well for my 512 conection.

Hope this helps. Sometimes bad batches happen. I'd stick with it if i was you, its a really good product and i'm very impressed.
N/A

I recently bought one of these and spend a whole evening trying to get it to work. Whenever I made a change to the configuration and tried to save it the unit just hung. The following evening I downloaded the latest firmware and installed it, made the necessary changes to the configuration and now it works perfectly Smiley Smiley
holdtight
Grafter

Ive now had two of these and only got the second to upgrade to V2, brilliant routers wouldnt have anything else

To your problem sjtjohnston you could try doing a factory reset and starting from scratch this is not just a press of the reset button but what they do at the factory and repair centres

start with the router powered up then use a biro or similar to hold in the reset button for thirty seconds then with the button still held in pull out the power plug and keep holding the reset in for a further ten seconds re-insert the power plug and hold the reset for a further thirty seconds then release it

You will find this easier with the unit on your lap as it can be fiddley if your doing it on your own
Give it a try as ive known it to cure certain problems with a number of different routers
N/A

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your comments and advice. More testing last night using the master BT socket showed that the Linksys really was not going to synchronise no matter how much I begged or threatened, I am pretty sure I have the same settings nurserycottage, at least I have the settings suggested by Plus Net. I will try the factory reset sequence from holdtight tonight. I am also going to try a NetGear DG834G I have borrowed which I know works.

Thanks again for all your help
N/A

Sjtjhnston

I have a Linksys WAG54G and had a similar problem when I first tried to connect with it. I contacted PN CS and their representative said that he had encountered this problem before. He suggested that I try and connect to two BT test sites using the BT username and password. I think it was the same BT sites used to do the BT speed tests. He talked me through it and I successfully connected to the BT sites. I then went back and tried to connect to PN and was successful, it did seem to take a long time to sync but I suppose it’s a bit like watching a kettle. Ever since that initial problem it has synced and connected to PN network no problem.

The settings for the router if I remember correctly are the factory defaults.

Try the site below for additional info and access to early releases of new firmware to fully stealth the router. My original firmware and the update from Linksys would not operate the router in stealth mode.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/

Hope this helps

Steve
N/A

Nice link and thanks for the info, I will try it later.

Can someone explain the difference between a WAG54G and a WAG54G v2 to me?
N/A

Can't remember what the differences are, try posting a question on the forum linked above, but you definitely want the v2 router.
N/A

Update time:

As I mentioned previously, I borrowed a NetGear to try and see if the Linksys I have is dodgy. The Netgear synchronised perfectly and, once I had messed around with the extension phone lines a bit, I had a connection that did not drop all evening. This made me happy.

I still could not get the Linksys to synchronise after playing with it for the best part of an hour so it is going back to the shop to be swapped, maybe for a new Linksys, probably for a Netgear.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and information, it looks like there is a good community here.