cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems configuring modemand router

N/A

Hi I have recently bought an SMC wireless router with an integrated print server, but at the time didnt appreciate that it didn't include an ADSL modem. Afetr posting on this discussion board I also bought a cheap Origio 1port adsl modem/router. Knowing that I wouldn't have the expertise to put these components together I asked a local computer guy to do it for me. Unfortunately he has been unable the two to work together. I believe it is something to do with both boxes trying to allocate IP addresses and as a result there seems to be a conflict between the two.

Any ideas on how I should be configuring these boxes?

I am trying to network a pc running Windows ME and a laptop running Windows XP.

Thanks
Simon
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can't setup both boxes as they are when connected together - you need to do one at a time...

You need to configure the origo to use the IP address 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1 (it may even have been 10.0.0.1, I can't remember exactly). The way I did this is connect the origo directly to my PC via the Ethernet cable and reboot router & PC so the origo assigns the PC an IP address via DHCP (probably 192.168.0.2 or 10.0.0.2). I then use a browser to connect to the origo on 192.168.0.1 (or 10.0.0.1) and change the origos config so it's IP address is 192.168.1.1. Also change the DHCP range on the origo so it only allocates a single IP address (start 192.168.1.2, end 192.168.1.2), and this is what the IP address of the WAN port on the SMC will be. At this point enter your plusnet logon details and reboot both origo and PC and check to make sure the router works on it's own with your PC - i.e. you can access the net. This then proves the router is working fine.

Once you have that box working, you can disconnect it from your PC and plug it into the SMC's WAN port. Then plug the SMC into your PC and reboot both routers and PC. The PC will then be allocated an IP address from the SMC and the SMC will get assigned a WAN IP address of 192.168.1.2

You should then be able to access the SMC @ 192.168.0.1 and the origo @ 192.168.1.1 and perform any further configuration on both routers as necessary.

I don't have the kit in front of me so I can't remember the actual config screens to change the settings in the origo. I setup something similar for someone else - they had a Linksys router instead of your SMC - and it's all working fine. I can probably check what I changed tomorrow when I will be in front of it.
N/A

Thanks very much, I'm away for a couple of days but will try this when I get back and let you know how I get on.
Simon
N/A

Still trying but without success.
Can I assign a fixed IP address to the origo modem router when plus net assign a dynamic address? If my origo router modem is my NIS with plusnet, would this conflict.
Simon
N/A

It isn't clear how far you have got through petervaughn's post before coming to grief...
Presumably you are talking about the internet IP for the router - and not the lan IP? If so, it is normally easiest to leave the router to pick up the static IP dynamically (if you see what I mean).
Community Veteran

I also need to know how far you have got.

Have you got the origi working stand-alone (i.e. connected to your PC and able to access the Internet) and reconfigured to use 192.168.1.1 to access it via your PC. That is the first thing you need to do before you can continue. Note: I think it;s default IP address out of the box is 10.0.0.1 so use that initially when you first plug it into your PC to access it. Then change it to 192.168.1.1, the DHCP to only assign a single IP address 192.168.1.2, save the changes and reboot both router and PC.

You should leave the origi set to get it's WAN IP address from PlusNet automatically, there is no need to set it to a specific static IP address.
N/A

May be this will help ..

1. Disconnect your SMC router from the setup
2. Connect the Origio to your PC, goto http://10.0.0.2 and change the Origio IP address to 192.168.1.2.
3. Disable DHCP server on your Origio
4. Change your Origio setup to do just bridging and let the SMC to do the routing afterward.
5. Connect the Origio to the SMC router and do the necessary thing .. default gateway to point to 192.168.1.2 etc..

Good luck.
N/A

Thanks for your help, I am (with alittle bit of help from a computer expert) making progress. I have managed to access the internet through the origo and reallocate the ip as you sugested. We still haven`t quite managed to get it to work with the smc router but I believe we are almost there. Unfortunately I am out of the country for the next week so cant finally get it all done but I will let you know if i manage it (or need some more advice)
Thanks
Simon