cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems, any help much appreciated :(

N/A

My Bb+ was activated earlier today. Great!

But i'm having problems with it.
Most namely, constant synch drops.
These weren't so bad earlier today, but as the evening drags on, they're getting more and more frequent.

I'm using the Voyager 105 modem supplied with my package.
It usually takes about 30 seconds to regain synch.

When I try to reconnect, I often get the following error :

Not sure what to make of that, but it always connects next time, after that.

Also, about three or four times, i've been "online", but not able to access any websites ~ getting the following, instead :

I lost synch five times writing that post, which took about ten minutes Shocked

Nightmare :/

any ideas would be marvellous.

Cheers ~ Hoodi.

Edit : Seem to have lopped the start of the first sentence off. Fixed.
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First of all have a read of the post here

What speed are you on and do you have any line figures from your modem as these would help to see if you are near or over the limits for the speed you are at.
N/A

I've checked the guides, and done most of the things they suggest.

I don't have / have no way of getting line stats.

I'm on a 1MB service.

My next port of call is a new modem, but it's frustrating to have to buy another one, when you've essentially paid for it in the first place...
Community Veteran

For Voyager 105 line stats

Double click on DUN icon on taskbar, click on status, hold control down and press F1 at same time, hidden menus should come up.

Click on DSL Link and line stats will appear.
N/A

oh wow, thanks!
I don't know enough about ADSL to know which figures are important, and which aren't.
So have them all Cheesy
Community Veteran

The last 2 local figures are the important ones and your SNR is very bad and is the most likely cause of your disconnections.

You need a SNR of 10dB or higher to get a reliable connection and anything below 7dB will have frequent disconnections.

See ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.

Are you connected to the BT master socket? If not...

Can you connect the modem to the BT master socket, ideally to the test socket found behind the user removable bottom plate on the BT master socket. Then see what your SNR and line attenuation are. If the SNR is higher then you have a problem with your internal wiring.

If you are already connected to the master socket, try the test socket as detaled above. Is the SNR any better?

Also try with no other phones connected in the house.

Are all you phones connected via an ADSL filter/splitter. If not they must be.

Also try with no other phones connected and without using an ADSL filter/splitter (find an old 56k dialup modem and use it's phone cable to connect the modem directly to the master socket). Is the SNR any better?

You have to find out why your SNR is so low and whether it is something within your property that is causing it or just a very bad BT line.
Community Veteran

OK from the figures you now have.
52.5dB is the loss on the line for signals coming to you.
This is within the limit of 60 dB for a 1meg line.

However the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) at 6.5dB is very likey to be the cause of you problem.
Ensure that your own wiring and filters are set up correctly and if it is still 6.5 and you have checked everything raise a Link:Contact us ticket to have Plusnet get the line checked by BT.
N/A

Right-o
I'm not connected to the master socket, so i'll use that as my first port of call, eliminating the rest after that.

Great guide that ~ the one on line loss.

Assuming that it turns out to be the wiring from the master socket > this socket.
I had intended to get a wireless modem / router, and have it on this socket. However, if I were to use it from the master socket, i'd have a more stable line, assuming wireless signal strength isn't an issue. Correct?

I'm not going to check out the master socket tonight, for fear of disturbing the killer cat. But I will do in the morning Wink

Thanks.

Edit : Just sat and watched my SNR.
My line drops when it hits 4. Ouch.
Nice diagnostic there chaps, now just to sort it out Cheesy
Community Veteran

4dB is really bad news and is the most likely cause of your problems.

If it is your internal wiring then a wireless solution does sound like a way forward.
Community Veteran

From your post on the other thread where you say that the modem wouldn't work through the filter I do suspect that there is some sort of internal problem with your wiring or filter set up.

Hope you get it sorted, but if you do all the checks and find its still a problem then at least you have proved that it is not a fault with your own wiring or equipement and BT will not sock you with a bill for an abortive visit. Smiley
N/A

Yeah, sounds like the internal wiring is... dodgy.

It's an old house, and so is all the phone wiring.

I'll check it out tommorow on a machine closer to the master. Fingers crossed it's better =D
N/A

Hmm.

I get no synch when the *only* thing connected to the master socket is the ADSL modem. No microfilters / telecoms equipment anywhere else in the house.

The light just flashes, it never gains synch.

Am a bit stumped now.
Community Veteran

OK how is your internal wiring done?

Is it just a master socket with extensions that Plug into it or are the cables to extensions "hard wired" from within the master socket.
If its not hard wired and nothing else is connected thaen you have proved that its a line fault.

If it is hard wired then what sort of socket do you have There is the older type that is just a one piece box or there is a newer type that is in two parts. (identified by a horizontal line across the face.)

with this later type you can unscrew the front and remove it. This will leave you with another socket inside the box and any extensions will no longer be connected. If you still get no sync from this inner socket then again its a line fault.
N/A

Don't be disheartened, I've had a SNR of 1db and got a constant 2MB connection dropping say once a week. BT sorted it out and now it's rock solid on 8dB. Put a ticket in to PlusNet who will contact BT but you must have tried all the usual things advised above first.
Vince
N/A

Right.

My wiring is far from standard.

My phone line comes in through the outside of my house, into my attic.

At this point, it terminates into a bunch of "terminals".

originally, these terminals each had one wire coming out of them, which feeds down to the BT "master" socket.

Since then, essentially another set, in parralel, has been run down, from the same terminals, to the "secondary" socket...

So I guess that both sockets are as "master" as one another. Neither is an extension of the other, and i'm guessing I actually have better SNR on this one, as the wiring is newer (about five years old, as opposed to the other socket, which is about 55 :|).

Apologies for reffering to this socket as an extension ~ I had forgotten how backward the wiring here was.

Coincidentally, my SNR has been far better this morning, constantly hovering above 7.5, and occasinally hitting as high as 10.

I'm guessing this is just something to with there being less line traffic, though...