cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with downloading

N/A

Problem with downloading

Hi, I have the 2mb/s broadband plus, I get quite good speeds when i'm donwloading from firefox, in some cases it reaches around 400kB/s, but when i'm downloading off just about anything else i'm lucky even to just get 3 - 4kB/s..it usually sticks around 0.01 which i'm sure isnt right..ive tried using the optimizers, updating drivers, using different firewalls and making sure theyre configured properly etc but it isn't working, the most it has ever reached to my knowlage is 15kB/s..can anyone help me please? I hope I posted this in the right topic..

Many thanks,
Graham
15 REPLIES
N/A

Problem with downloading

Its allways hard to say what is happening. It doesnt matter if you have a 2 meg or 8 meg connection if the server at the other end can only send at 56k you will never get any faster.

If you give us more details of any sites were you get slow downloads we may be able to help. Is it web based or P2P or ftp when its slow? P2P is often a nightmare as the person the other end may be on a modem
N/A

Problem with downloading

thanks for the reply, its usually P2P and torrents, but i'm talking about every single one not just the odd few, back when i had wanadoo, it was only 512 but i dont think any of my torrents went below 10/20kBps, out of houndreds of torrents ive had since i've had plus.net every single one has stayed around 0.01kBps..its abit pathetic, plus at the moment i'm trying to download winamp and macromedia flash player from their site and its going at 0.4kBps..but i'm pretty sure thats to do with their end, but winamp wont even start the download yet

graham.
N/A

Problem with downloading

The flash site is being swamped as everyone trys to download the new player, I know I have tried.

Have you forwarded the right ports for the P2P on your router or are you on a modem? What account are you on?

P2P is always a bit hit and miss as your ranking can come into it along with other factors which one are you using?
N/A

Problem with downloading

i'm on the residential 2mb broadband plus, I did read the parts about file sharing and large downloads but i didnt think it would be this bad..would i need to upgrade to premier or is their a problem?

thanks
N/A

Problem with downloading

If you want p2p or usenet then I would upgrade to premier. Although speeds on p2p will not greatly improve (with some users), usenet speeds has improved (no comment, don't use). If you just use the web for surfing then BB+ should be adequate.
N/A

Problem with downloading

they killed p2p and torrent speeds since the 27th of october with the ellecoya update.
and that's the way its gonna stay unfortunately . they even changed the product description on their hompage to clearly state BB+ is not suitable for p2p anymore.
N/A

Problem with downloading

ellecoya update? even for premier?
N/A

Problem with downloading

yep ellocoya is throttleing everyone
N/A

Problem with downloading

oh ffs...i just upgraded to premier aswell!
N/A

Problem with downloading

Small Business Package isn't shaped.
N/A

Problem with downloading

Thats not entirely correct. The business products are not subject to the SUP but are subject to shaping, perhaps to a lesser extent. They are subject to acceptable use though.
N/A

Problem with downloading

looks like ill be asking for a MAC code soon...
N/A

Problem with downloading

ok, i'm abit confused, I was looking in the small business section, so its £19.99 a month for 2mbps? but i noticed in the usage page it only describes the usage of PAYG? has the small business option got unlimited downloads?

thanks
N/A

Problem with downloading

forget that part, I should have looked at the options first..but i did notice for the teleworker section, 2mbps at i think it was £21.27 a month, is that worth looking into or is their any restrictions?