cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with corrupted downloads

Brian_E
Grafter

I have recently taken delivery of a new PC which is running on Windows Vista. The problem I am having is that many (but not all) of my downloaded software files are being corrupted. I am using a Netgear DG834GT wireless router and I suspect that that might be the problem. I have tried disabling Port Scan and DOS protection as suggested on the Netgear forum, but that doesn't appear to have made any difference. One of the suggestions was that I should contact my ISP to see if there are any known conflicts, hence this message.

Any help (in simple terms as I'm not yet familiar with routers) would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

I would be extremely surprised if it were actually your router that was causing the corruption in your downloads. I would normally expect this to be caused by the software that you are using to download your files.

What sort of downloads are they? Are you using any particular software for your downloads? Is it always the same software? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software?
Brian_E
Grafter

I've tried using no download manager, Get Right, Reget & Internet Download Manager. I'm currently trying to download Adobe Reader 8.1. I also often get CFC (?) errors when trying to unzip files.
Community Veteran

What software firewall or A/V scanners have you installed? NIS of Mcaffee perhaps?

Try disabling those and see if the problem still exists. They are by far the most likely cause of this.

Also do a full system scan for malware/spyware/viruses using up to date defs in case you have something lurking in the background.
Brian_E
Grafter

I'm using Kaspersky Antivirus, which I used for a long time on my previous PC without any problems. I have also tried using Bit Defender and the results were the same. I tried turning KAV off and still I had a corrupted download.

I ran a spy ware check with Ad Aware and Webroot Spysweeper this evening and got a clean bill of health. Also, I downloaded the Adobe Reader file (the last one to be corrupted) at work today, burnt it to CD and then copied it to my PC before installing it without any problems. The plot thickens.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Do you have a USB pen drive or some other external drive? Wondering if it's worth downloading to an external drive in case they are being corrupted on the hard drive rather than as they download. Also worth running scandisk to check for any drive errors.
Community Veteran

duff ethernet card or cable would be my guess ... (always suspect the hardware first)