cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: No Internet connection sharing

N/A

Problem: No Internet connection sharing

Hi,

First of all I have to say I'm a novice regarding this problem.
I have the ADSL Netstart self install package with an Alcatel AR11 ADSL Router modem. This router and two PCs are connected to a Netgear FS605 switch.
The network works fine and one PC can access the Internet, but I am unable to share the Internet connection. The setup guide didn't really cover connection sharing, only how to get one PC connected to the Internet. I got the impression that I didn't need a software router like WinRoute to share an Internet connection, since this would be handled by the ADSL router. I hope that's right.
I've looked at the online ASDL Router Remote Management and Configuration, and the IP addresses of both PCs have been found in the ARP Table and DHCP Table. The operating mode is PPPoA+NAT. I don't know if I have to make any further configuration of the ADSL router to share an Internet connection, or if the problem lies elsewhere. I just feel there is a little detail I've missed somwhere, but as I am a novice I obviously don't know.
If anyone has any idea about what my problem might be, apart from the fact I haven't got a clue, then please help. Smiley
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Problem: No Internet connection sharing

When you say you can only get internet access through one PC, do you mean through the switch or do you mean if you miss out the switch and plug the computer directly into the router? (ie, is the problem that you can't get internet access through the switch at all, or just when both machines are plugged into it).

> Hi,
>
> First of all I have to say I'm a novice regarding this problem.
> I have the ADSL Netstart self install package with an Alcatel AR11 ADSL Router modem. This router and two PCs are connected to a Netgear FS605 switch.
> The network works fine and one PC can access the Internet, but I am unable to share the Internet connection. The setup guide didn't really cover connection sharing, only how to get one PC connected to the Internet. I got the impression that I didn't need a software router like WinRoute to share an Internet connection, since this would be handled by the ADSL router. I hope that's right.
> I've looked at the online ASDL Router Remote Management and Configuration, and the IP addresses of both PCs have been found in the ARP Table and DHCP Table. The operating mode is PPPoA+NAT. I don't know if I have to make any further configuration of the ADSL router to share an Internet connection, or if the problem lies elsewhere. I just feel there is a little detail I've missed somwhere, but as I am a novice I obviously don't know.
> If anyone has any idea about what my problem might be, apart from the fact I haven't got a clue, then please help. Smiley

N/A

RE: Problem: No Internet connection sharing

Thanks for the quick reply. I can only get internet access from one PC through the switch, so the switch does not seem to be the problem. I also have access to each computer from each computer through the switch, so the network connection is fine.

> When you say you can only get internet access through one PC, do you mean through the switch or do you mean if you miss out the switch and plug the computer directly into the router? (ie, is the problem that you can't get internet access through the switch at all, or just when both machines are plugged into it).
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > First of all I have to say I'm a novice regarding this problem.
> > I have the ADSL Netstart self install package with an Alcatel AR11 ADSL Router modem. This router and two PCs are connected to a Netgear FS605 switch.
> > The network works fine and one PC can access the Internet, but I am unable to share the Internet connection. The setup guide didn't really cover connection sharing, only how to get one PC connected to the Internet. I got the impression that I didn't need a software router like WinRoute to share an Internet connection, since this would be handled by the ADSL router. I hope that's right.
> > I've looked at the online ASDL Router Remote Management and Configuration, and the IP addresses of both PCs have been found in the ARP Table and DHCP Table. The operating mode is PPPoA+NAT. I don't know if I have to make any further configuration of the ADSL router to share an Internet connection, or if the problem lies elsewhere. I just feel there is a little detail I've missed somwhere, but as I am a novice I obviously don't know.
> > If anyone has any idea about what my problem might be, apart from the fact I haven't got a clue, then please help. Smiley
>
>