cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previous rock solid 2mb connection...it aint any more

N/A

For past year I had excellent 2mb ADSL connection, no problem at all but, for last 2 weeks my download speeds are just terrible I can just barely on occasion get 90KB very fluctuating downloads speed and my pings are much higher, playing WOW you notice that.

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
14-07-2006 00:02:21 487.9
13-07-2006 09:30:20 669.9
12-07-2006 23:00:53 790.5
11-07-2006 23:11:43 601.1
08-07-2006 19:10:04 624.6
07-07-2006 18:54:53 623.5
06-07-2006 19:13:38 655.6
05-07-2006 21:21:40 633.4
02-07-2006 13:39:27 426.1

I have tried another router, changed microfilter (standard ones nothing high quality), I have tried to access BT speed test page (www.speedtester.bt.com) but cant get it always times out on me.

I know I have MaxDSL as my router is Syncing 5.5Mb and my stable rate is showing 8000kbps.Not sure how long I had MaxDSL but I think it must have happened in last 2 weeks since the speed problems started.

Is there a point raising the ticket with helpdesk? Should I just wait and hope for connection to go up, getting better quality microfilter (I doubt that will improve speeds).
19 REPLIES
Griffo
Grafter

I think your problems are a global issue, as I know quite a few on here who have the same problem. You can either sit tight and hope or pay the £14,99 to be regraded back to your 2meg fixed line product!
N/A

I was "upgraded" to MAxDSL about 5 weeks ago without my knowledge or consent, i'm syncing at 3.5Kb/s but im still getting less than 2mb/s download speeds which doesnt really affect me as I dont download an awfull lot. What does affect me though is the fact I get disconnected for a few seconds in the evening every hour or so which is a complete pain when you play MMORPGS as it usually happens at the most inoportune moments.

I was thinking about reveting back to my old 2mb line as this was rock solid and met my download needs more than adequatly, reading this last reply it seems that I would have to pay £15 to get rid of an upgrade that I didnt ask for or require, is this true? because if it is can anyone recommend another ISP as i'm not paying good money to get rid of a product that I didnt ask for
N/A

Sounds like I have to join the fun club of no broadband. :roll:

I, also, previously had a stable connection over the past year, that is, until the last 3 weeks.

In the past 3 weeks I have had literally 3 days of broadband connection.

To add insult to injury, I have had to patiently wait on the phone (for over an hour on each occasion) to speak to PlusNet to report the issue - only to find later that the incident has been closed "accidently".

This has happened twice. Hmmmm! Cry

I'd like my money back for the period over which I have had no broadband access...and also someone to fix my connection.

I'm sick of the patronising suggestions, like check the router settings, trhe microfilters.... get real... its the network and the change of wholsale providers.
N/A

Who is the new wholesale provider ?
N/A

I've been without internet access from home for months now - since the "upgrade". I've bought a new router as I was told my old modem wasn't up to the job. Tried to set it up yesterday, without success. I'm definitely going to leave PlusNet when my contract's up as they're virtually impossible to get hold of and seem to suit people with some technical knowledge. What a waste of time and money.
N/A

After many attempts, I was eventually able to winkle out that the wholesale provider was changed from BT to Tiscalli. I guess cost has a major role to play in this change.

I also found out that by default my line was being "regraded" by using some sort of automated dynamic line testing.

Anyway, the latest is that PlusNet will be requesting that my line is set to a "fixed profile" rather than a "dynamic" one. What ever that means....as long as it sorts out my problem I'm a happy chappy.
N/A

Everytime I see the word Tiscali on a forum there are negative comments. I believe most of what these posters are writing, I think they are a company to be avoided in all respects.
Still I suppose if they are offering cheap wholesale broadband other companies will bite even if it damages their service to their customers and their reputation.
It's all about the bottom line nowadays,nothing else counts.
N/A

Tiscali - Yuck

Like some of the others here I discovered I had been upgraded, despite having received an email saying that I had to opt for an upgrade. I didn't opt for it.

Plus Net was such a good service provider. Now look at it. What a disappointment. I moved to Plus Net several years ago to get away from the absolutely awlful service from Tiscali.

Tiscali will be the kiss of death to Plus Net I reckon
N/A

Tiscali have a terrible reputation I think that Plusnet have made a big mistake getting into bed with them.
N/A

I think your problems are a global issue, as I know quite a few on here who have the same problem. You can either sit tight and hope or pay the £14,99 to be regraded back to your 2meg fixed line product!

Thanks for the reply, well i guess the only option is to Pay £14.99, not pleased about that but I rather pay and get my connection back as it was before.Only question is I'm on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 so if I choose Plusnet Broadband Plus how do we know if it's going to "revert" back to old connection setting, anyone had any experience of regrading? did that solve the problem.

Thanks
N/A

My understanding is that changing the broadband package has no impact on the wholesale provider.

My recommendation would be to grin and bear it and to get PlusNet to fix the underlying issue.

Regards,

Mo
N/A

I keep seeing £15 quoted to be returned to the previous IPstream 2000 from Max but looking at BT wholesale price list they only charge £5 +VAT. Also it's BTw that are doing the free regrades to Max if you read PN website they give the impression that they are doing it.

Re-grade to BT IPstream Home 2000 From - Operative Date Single Payment
Exc VAT Inc VAT
£ £
BT IPstream Max PremiumBT IPstream MaxBT IPstream Office ProductsBT IPstream Home ProductsBT IPstream S ProductsBT IPstream 500 *
31-03-2006

BT price list here
N/A

regrade fee

When we were upgraded last year from 512 to 2mb that didn't work as we're too far from the exchange. didn't cost us anything to be downgraded again - as indeed it shouldn't - we did it through the helpdesk.

But we're still paying over £20 per month for a 512 speed which works at best 50% of the time - or 10% when I'mm there to use it!

As for Tiscali wholesale - bbbbbaaaaaaddddd move. That alone means I'm now seriously thinking of changing ISP; may even go back to BT :twisted: as we have such problems in our village which aren't getting sorted.

Go on - persuade me to stay.
Griffo
Grafter

Okay, what do you all think of this. I've been connected at the following stats for just over 92hours now. Reckon if I did a reboot I would have 2meg?

Stats:
Sync: 2144kbps
Atten: 60dB
Noise: 5dB

The noise level is a bit worrying, but the connection hasn't dropped once or resynced...yet!