cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing port scan...

N/A

Preventing port scan...

Hi,
I've got installed sygate firewall on my pc. Recently, it's reporting that my computer is being scanned (port scan) by the same desdination host address. Is information on my pc viewable by "them"?. How can I stop that "person" scaning my computer. C

Regards.

M.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

RE: Preventing port scan...

> Hi,
> I've got installed sygate firewall on my pc. Recently, it's reporting that my computer is being scanned (port scan) by the same desdination host address. Is information on my pc viewable by "them"?. How can I stop that "person" scaning my computer. C
>
> Regards.
>
> M.

Test it on www.grc.com

direct link too the port test is https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 run shields up and then the port scan.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

> Hi,
> I've got installed sygate firewall on my pc. Recently, it's reporting that my computer is being scanned (port scan) by the same desdination host address. Is information on my pc viewable by "them"?. How can I stop that "person" scaning my computer. C
>
> Regards.
>
> M.

Check that the address isn't one of Plusnet's. Some port scans are done routinely. When I was with Demon, they would scan for open ports for mail relays etc. The last thing you want to do is to try to hack Plusnet in revenge!
N/A

> Hi,
>
> Regards.
>
> M.

got zone alarm it reports at least 20 r 30 scans a day which is normal it just reports and stops them at same time.sygate should be the same.
:bandit:
N/A

There is nothing you can do to stop people trying to scan your ip address. If the scanner is always the same ip address, you could raise it with plus net, since they may be able to prevent the relevant ip packets from being routed to your ip address. For more information about port scanning, you could see www.nmap.org;I have found nmap is a great tool for testing one's own firewall!

The important thing is that you have a robust firewall in place. Basically if you're sure your firewall in configured to reject all incoming then, well, you shouldnt be worried. If your firewall is configured to accept some incoming then, well, you might want to have a think about what is open and the robustness of the servers on those port on your pc. For example, if port 139 is open, then you should close that asap.

The other thing you can do, to some extent, is control who can access these open ports. With most firewalls you can control this on the basis of ip address, for example. You might want to think about this text from the ADSL AUP ...

"The use of the service to run open servers, such as SMTP relay, Web proxy and NNTP is prohibited. PlusNet define an open server being one which can be connected to over the Internet by hosts not in a trusted list."

... which looks pretty far reaching, and restrictive considering the vast majority of internet users have dynamic ip (variable host identification) or are behind nat (shared host identification).

Good luck!

N/A

Can anyone recomend a good firewall which ISN'T zonealarm as i feckin hate that program.
jlpappin
Grafter

Tiny Personal Firewall is pretty good. Most computer techies who resort to using Windows use it except those lucky ones with hardware firewalls. Version 2.0.15 A is the version that most would use. I am not sure if it is free any longer with more recent versions but if you can find that specific version, then it is cool because it was freeware back then.

oliverb
Grafter

Many ISPs will act if scans are brought to their attention. Even if all you have is an IP you can find abuse contacts using tracing tools like samspade.org

Note that some IIS webservers attempt a netbios name probe in response to a request. This may be in part a result of plusnet's incomplete reverse DNS and is probably an attempt by IIS to put a name to an IP when it can't resolve it by DNS.

> There is nothing you can do to stop people trying to scan your ip address. If the scanner is always the same ip address, you could raise it with plus net, since they may be able to prevent the relevant ip packets from being routed to your ip address. For more information about port scanning, you could see www.nmap.org;I have found nmap is a great tool for testing one's own firewall!
N/A

I can recommend Kerio Personal Firewall or if you need Internet Sharing as well then Kerio Winroute.

No im not a Kerio employee, ive tried virtually all the different firewall software out there for windows and these I have found to be the most suitable to my needs.
Most of the time im a linux user and basically what i did was try all the software to try and find which windows firewall gave me the same level of protection that my linux box has with its built in firewall/routing capabilites (iptables) has.

Kerio fitted the bill perfectly but hell you might as well switch to Linux Smiley

Only kidding!!!

Ali
Brickinit
Grafter

> Can anyone recomend a good firewall which ISN'T zonealarm as i feckin hate that program.

hi andrew
i am using Outpost personal firewall which is a free download from

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

it is much more user friendly than zonealarm

malc

:rollsmile:

N/A

If it's easy of use then have you tried smoothwall??

It can be found at www.smoothwall.org

Simon

> I can recommend Kerio Personal Firewall or if you need Internet Sharing as well then Kerio Winroute.
>
> No im not a Kerio employee, ive tried virtually all the different firewall software out there for windows and these I have found to be the most suitable to my needs.
> Most of the time im a linux user and basically what i did was try all the software to try and find which windows firewall gave me the same level of protection that my linux box has with its built in firewall/routing capabilites (iptables) has.
>
> Kerio fitted the bill perfectly but hell you might as well switch to Linux Smiley
>
> Only kidding!!!
>
> Ali
>

N/A

Yep smoothwall is nice as well, I just like Guarddog from www.simonzone.com as my GUI configurator if i ever need more functionality then i will probably switch to smoothwall but at the moment Guarddog covers all my needs for my home network.

Ali
N/A

> > Can anyone recomend a good firewall which ISN'T zonealarm as i feckin hate that program.
>
> hi andrew
> i am using Outpost personal firewall which is a free download from
>
> http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost
>
> it is much more user friendly than zonealarm
>
> malc
>
> :rollsmile:
>