cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premire conection - put a figure on it.

N/A

A freind of mine is looking to move to plus but is worried about hiting download limts ( I am aware of the polocy but cant think how to phrase it) With the 30:1 conection how much would they to downlaod to start useing the line unacseptably.

Figure in GB please, the complex useage polocy is starting to put them off and i'm sure plus wants a new costomer so and imput would be apriciated.,
13 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

It's not really complex.

You have to be maxing out your connection pretty much 24/7 to have a real effect on the network.

It takes a good couple of weeks of 24/7 consistant downloading to hit 100Gb... and even that is relatively fine.
N/A

So would you say that 100gb is around the limit or is it likely to be higer than this, i know its not that bad but to a new a user it can be quite off putting.
Alecto
Grafter

If it's any help, several months ago Pn took action against a few people they thought were abusing the system and moved them all on to their own managed pipe (note: they didn't terminate their service or tell them to leave!!!).

The criterion they used at the time was that these people used over 140Gb of bandwidth for three months in a row.

This was known cheerily as the Bad Boys Pipe, and if you search the forums for that, you'll see some of the views expressed, including those of Pn staff and of people who thought it was OK to download 200Gb or more a month for £21.99.
Pn understand that people will occasionally have a heavy download month and say they don't mind this, but if you expect to do 150Gb each and every month, then I'd think you might be in trouble.

Pn won't give actual figures as it all depends what exactly is going on at the time you're doing downloads as to whether they think it will impact on other users.
LiamM
Grafter

You have to imagine how hard it is to reach that figure though.

My monthly average is only around 45Gb, but I download torrents, use P2P, online radio, streaming etc....
N/A

You have to imagine how hard it is to reach that figure though.

Are you kidding? I've been informed by my former ISP that my monthly usage is 73GB, and that was on a 512Kb/s connection. When I get my regrade, I'll be theoretically 4 times as fast, so I expect to have to monitor my usage to a certain degree. I've no intentions of suddenly downloading four times as much stuff, but the stuff I do download will finish quicker, giving me the opportunity to download more. I only need to double my usage to be in trouble. I plan on monitoring my usage very carefully.
N/A

Are you kidding? I've been informed by my former ISP that my monthly usage is 73GB, and that was on a 512Kb/s connection.

The problem is though the faster your are able to download at means you can obtain everything you want faster also meaning that the chances of you being left with very little to download at a later date being higher. This is of course unless you are into downloading all your latet games and films from torrents as well as some older ones.
I have found that by obtaining a faster connection my download average has evened itself out more and that I am a lot steadier with it as apposed to a slower download speed.
In the end of the day everyone has his or her own intentions for a connection and everyone is responsible for monitoring his or her own connection and making sure that they keep things to a suitable level.
Theres nothing wrong with wanting things, only does it all have to be as of yesterday?Huh
N/A

Are you kidding? I've been informed by my former ISP that my monthly usage is 73GB, and that was on a 512Kb/s connection.

The problem is though the faster your are able to download at means you can obtain everything you want faster also meaning that the chances of you being left with very little to download at a later date being higher. This is of course unless you are into downloading all your latet games and films from torrents as well as some older ones.

I don't download games or films, I have a different choice of bandwidth-consuming activities. Suffice to say that there's a constant flow, and my chances of reaching a point where there's nothing new are slim.

The internet is not static. New content appears almost every day. There are hundreds of sites with dynamic video/audio/other content, and my bandwidth averages posted above do, in part, reflect that. There's also free software, which accounts for a huge amount of my monthly bandwidth.

I have found that by obtaining a faster connection my download average has evened itself out more and that I am a lot steadier with it as apposed to a slower download speed.

I really don't understand what you mean. If you mean that you manage to download everything you want in quick bursts, due to your increased speed, then this is not "steady". This is sporadic. If, on the other hand, you meant to say that you have become more disciplined, and download less through choice, then that's not entirely germane to the discussion at hand, but I'd be interested to hear your reasons. It strikes me that for any person, your average level of bandwidth consumption is only likely to rise, over time.

In the end of the day everyone has his or her own intentons for a connection and everyone is responsible for monitoring his or her own connection and making sure that they keep things to a suitable level.

Didn't I just say that? The person above stated that it's "difficult" to download 150~200GB a month. I debunked that myth, fairly effectively, I might add. There's more than enough video and sound on the net, of a perfectly legitimate nature, I might add, to consume much more than 200GB per mensem of downstream bandwidth.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting things, only does it all have to be as of yesterday?Huh
What are you trying to say? I'm sure I don't understand, and I'm certain that this can't be in response to my post, since I said nothing to warrant such a patronising attitude. Since it clearly wasn't directed at me, though, I feel no need to take offence.
N/A

Soluzar,

Quote:

What are you trying to say? I'm sure I don't understand, and I'm certain that this can't be in response to my post, since I said nothing to warrant such a patronising attitude. Since it clearly wasn't directed at me, though, I feel no need to take offence.

This was not designed to be patronising to anyone. It is merely a statement outlining the fact that this is the net afterall and that there is plenty of time to download whatever it is you were looking for over a period of time. Now please dont read me wrong on this as well, I am not now trying to say that people should limit themselves to a certain files download per month. But rather more if the usage is starting to increase due to downloads, would it not be wise to restrain oneself in order to remain on the proper pipelines?

This, and I agree, does not make much sense. Please forgive for the way in which this was phrased, 3 hours sleep and a 4AM rise with a 6AM start in work can do these things to you.
What I was intending on making a point of was that due to an increased speed I am not in a great rush to start every download I am wanting. I now know that I am more than capable fo downloading any file I want in a much shorter time and am therefore more relaxed and download items in my own good time as apposed to wanting to max my connection out for days on end.
I do hope this makes more sense to you, if it does not, then I do not know how to phrase it Sad.
N/A

Quote:

This was not designed to be patronising to anyone. It is merely a statement outlining the fact that this is the net afterall and that there is plenty of time to download whatever it is you were looking for over a period of time. Now please dont read me wrong on this as well, I am not now trying to say that people should limit themselves to a certain files download per month. But rather more if the usage is starting to increase due to downloads, would it not be wise to restrain oneself in order to remain on the proper pipelines?

Fair enough, but the way you put it before sounded like you were accusing me of being a foaming-at-the-mouth, download-crazed nethead. I was just making a point that the net is changing, and there are plenty of ways to use up bandwidth. You don't even need to be "downloading" in the sense that you are thinking of, to be using a lot of bandwidth. Websites are becoming ever more bandwidth-heavy. That's my point. Even if you don't use P2P, it's easy to rack up 40+ GB of monthly bandwidth consumption, and that's only going to increase. That much alone is beyond the BW caps of many ADSL packages from other ISPs.

Streaming content is a huge deal right now. Music vids, live concert webcasts, Internet Radio and Internet TV, and god knows what else that I don't already know about... Once again, the internet is in danger of growing beyond the existing UK infrastructure's ability to deliver it to us. You don't need to be a heavy P2P user to be a heavy user. That's the point I am attempting to make.

What I was intending on making a point of was that due to an increased speed I am not in a great rush to start every download I am wanting. I now know that I am more than capable fo downloading any file I want in a much shorter time and am therefore more relaxed and download items in my own good time as apposed to wanting to max my connection out for days on end.
I do hope this makes more sense to you, if it does not, then I do not know how to phrase it Sad.

It does make sense, but you must realise that this is an artifact of your personality, not of any inherent technical aspect of having a faster line. If you were more into streaming media content, like the types that I listed above, or a heavy user of any of the other bandwidth-consumptive new services that have cropped up in recent years, then you might find that despite your commendable self discipline in downloading files, your traffic was still out of control.
N/A

Soluzar,
It does make sense, but you must realise that this is an artifact of your personality, not of any inherent technical aspect of having a faster line. If you were more into streaming media content, like the types that I listed above, or a heavy user of any of the other bandwidth-consumptive new services that have cropped up in recent years, then you might find that despite your commendable self discipline in downloading files, your traffic was still out of control.

I completely agree. I suppose that Half of the reason I do not reach any great heights with my bw usage is down to the fact that I work 12 hour days and am therefore not around an aweful lot add anything major to my tally. This being said, I do find that at times I will have a couple of days to myself whereby I add a further 5gig in downloads and gameplay as well as streaming audio. Now with the arrival of plustalk, I can only imagine this to rise even further. Perhaps it were time that pn were to rethink the standard monthly bw usage before classing people as "Bad Boys".
N/A

Soluzar,

I completely agree. I suppose that Half of the reason I do not reach any great heights with my bw usage is down to the fact that I work 12 hour days and am therefore not around an aweful lot add anything major to my tally. This being said, I do find that at times I will have a couple of days to myself whereby I add a further 5gig in downloads and gameplay as well as streaming audio. Now with the arrival of plustalk, I can only imagine this to rise even further. Perhaps it were time that pn were to rethink the standard monthly bw usage before classing people as "Bad Boys".

Plusnet offer more of a bandwidth allowance than almost anyone. It's worth remembering that "unlimited", "uncapped" and "unmetered" connections have proved, throughout the history of internet service provision in the UK, to be nothing of the kind. There is always a limit, or an FUP, or something of that kind. The question is whether you are told about the limit, or allowed to run blindly into it.

I certainly don't criticise Plusnet for the level of their bandwidth caps, although they would state that it is not a cap. I disagree, it is most assuredly a cap, but it is a generous, and rather flexible one. All that I am saying is that now that DSL speeds are on the rise again, and with the increase in use of bandwidth-heavy applications for the 'net, that 150GB is not a large amount, it is merely generously sufficient.
N/A

People have to remember also the price Plusnet charge for their service. My friend over the road is with AOL and is charged a full £8 per month more for the a 2mb connection......I think Plusnet is being more than fair with us.
N/A

People have to remember also the price Plusnet charge for their service. My friend over the road is with AOL and is charged a full £8 per month more for the a 2mb connection......I think Plusnet is being more than fair with us.

I challenge that. I think that it is a case that most other ISPs are being shortsighted and charging too much. With AOL you get more, in a certain sense, for your money. They have no cap whatsoever, no FUP, and no "unspoken cap". On the other hand, you pay more. There are said to be other drawbacks, too. That's a reasonable deal, just like Plusnet is a reasonable deal - not excellent, just acceptable.

The likes of Wanadoo, on the other hand, want to charge more than either of those ISPs for a 30GB cap? Ohhhhhhh dear me.... Nahh, Plusnet's deal isn't great, or even good. It's just better than most.