cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier to PAYG? Seeking advice.

octafish
Grafter

I've been a very happy 2MB Premier (20:1 contention variant) customer since September 2004.

After reading PN's latest newsletter about the product changes it got me wondering whether I would be better off going to PAYG, with the Smart Deal option of 10GB usage for £19.99 a month.

My use, to date, has never been above about 11GB and is usually about the 5GB mark. The 20:1 variant means that I pay £31.99 a month for Premier.

Now, is there any way I would be disadvantaged (latencies, lower priority, loss of virus scanning etc etc other than paying £1 per GB beyond 10GB) if I made the switch? I realise I would probably go from 20:1 to 30:1 contention.

Anyone got any views on this?

Ta.

Steve
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The 20:1 contention is the BT contention in the exchange, the 30:1 figure is PlusNets network contention figure which are totally different - they are often mistaken to refer to the same same thing.

If you moved to paygo or even you go onto the standard permier product, you will have a 50:1 exchange contention with 30:1 Plusntet contention.

All this contenmtion is mute anyway as both BT and PlusNet will no longer be using it.

Very confusing isn't it.

Anyway, you will not actually see any difference in using your connection if you switch to paygo 10GB.
octafish
Grafter

Thanks for getting back.

Yes, I'm now very confused. If I won''t suffer any adverse effects then I'll seriously consider the move. So, really my opting to stay with 20:1 has been a bit of a waste of money then?

Also, do you know whether the phrase "Normal price £26.98" on the sign-up page means that the cost to me of PAYG will rise after some unspecified time to that figure?

Thanks again.

Steve
Community Veteran

The PAYGO 10GB is a special promotion so may be withdrawn or be offered at a higher price in the future or may stay exactly the same. Only PN know when, if ever, the product will change.
N/A

I must say the 10GB usage cap is very very low for the speed of the line. Even last month our usage at peak times was more than 10GB with 3 computers its hard to keep it lower than that even with minimal downloads.

Could this be the end of a very short stay with plusnet?
octafish
Grafter

If the PAYG 10GB 'Smart Deal' is only a 'for the first three months' type offer I wouldn't be that interested.

I assume that the way PAYG works is that if I use 15GB in any one month (with that deal) then I automatically get billed for an extra £5. I wouldn't have to advance purchase what I think I would need, would I?

If it's a straight 'we'll bill you for every GB over 10GB you use' arrangement then that's preferable for me.

Most months (and we use 3 PCs in our house as well) the use is likely to fall within 10GB. However, I may have need of 20 or even 30GB+ for isolated, very occasional months. In that case being throttled down, as per the new plan, is not an option and I would be quite willing to pay for every GB used in order to maintain max line speed. Does this make sense?

Also, would any of my ADSL settings change, e.g. static ip address or whatever?

Ta.

Steve
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Basically your settings wouldn't change and you would still have a fixed IP - it's only BB+ which has a variable one.
To clarify the statement about normal price being £26.98 refers to the standard PAYG at £14.99 with 1GB included which would increase to £23.99 for 10GB then you add the Plustalk on top.
It has already been said that if you take up this offer you will be able to stay on it permanently. Given the new changes I suspect it will be modified slightly in relation to Plustalk.
One thing to note - if you don't prepay the extra cost per GB will be £1.25 however you can increase your included amount many times per month but as far as I know you can only reduce it once per month as it comes into effect on your billing date.
chymorva
Grafter

Most months (and we use 3 PCs in our house as well) the use is likely to fall within 10GB. However, I may have need of 20 or even 30GB+ for isolated, very occasional months. In that case being throttled down, as per the new plan, is not an option and I would be quite willing to pay for every GB used in order to maintain max line speed.

There is no throttling applied to PAYG accounts (excepting that required to keep priority traffic working OK during periods of heavy demand - but that applies to all accounts) for however much bandwidth you use. Whether it is your first GB or your 101st GB it will be provided at the same speed because you pay for it on a per GB basis.
octafish
Grafter

Thanks to all above.

Have now switched to the PAYG 'Smart Deal' but opted for a slightly higher package download figure of 12GB (£21.99 / month).

Steve