cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibe LLU Fix at Home??

N/A

I have just removed the ring wire from my incoming telephone socket....

This is not required when you have adsl filters as the twisted pair is converted to create a ring.

I went from pre LLU 1152 with a Atten of 58 and a Noise Margin of 13-14
I am now 2311 with a Atten on 58 and a Noise Margin of 18-19....so increase in speed and an increase in Noise Margin.

If you have a Master socket that has the BT test socket inside you can plug into there and it will give a good comparason. I could not Connect before but could when I plugged into the test socket.

A tutorial can be found here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Worked for me, just see need to see what the long term is like. Been running ok now for 20 mins only....

found the link for it here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41671

let me know how ye all get on!!

Chris
11 REPLIES
N/A

Just thought I'd mention that ADSL faceplate splitters are also available from Farnell (farnell.co.uk, part number 5060217 ).
N/A

Well so far, it has been good news

24 hours without a single hic-up. Speeds so far rock steady!!

fingers crossed....Smiley
Alecto
Grafter

Being adventurous by nature, I think I'll remove the ring wires from my master socket.

However, I notice that there is a grey BT connection box just below my front door where the line connects from underground to come into the house.

Would it be even better to open this and remove the ring wires from in there, thus cutting out a further ten metres of wire inside the house before the master socket?

Or is simply breaking the circuit inside the house enough?
Or is there a huge penalty for opening the grey box?
Community Veteran

Theres a huge penalty for opening anything before your paster box, including your master box!
N/A

Not to mention the fact that there are only two wires in use until you reach the master socket.

The master socket generates the ring signal by filtering the line signal. The extra load this places on the line would be bad for signal levels if it was done at every extension so the ring signal is passed on instead.

Modern equipment doesn't use the ring signal which is why it is OK to disconnect the orange wire from the removable part of the master socket. Not a bad idea to disconnect the ring wire at the extension as well as some dodgey microfilters will add noise back onto the line if the ring wire is picking up noise as it travels around the house.
N/A

You cant touch anything on or before the twisted pair!

But it is ok to open the removable part, but dont go past that. In effect what you are doing is removing the big capacitor from the circuit.
vic_newey
Grafter

When I had BT engineer call a few months back after line problems he suggested I move the master socket right into my computer room insted of by the front door to get a better signal

He gave me a new v1.0 filtered BT master socket & coil of wire & instructions of how to wire up the extensions ! He came back with another guy a week later to fit a new line from the pole & then came in to see I had wired it o.k.
so all the penalty of death for touching BT's side of the box mean nothing to the engineers ! lol
Alecto
Grafter

Right, thanks, that's saved me six months in The Tower! :lol:
vic_newey
Grafter

Right, thanks, that's saved me six months in The Tower! :lol:

just be aware that maybe not all BT engineers are so friendly & helpful so tread carefully lol
N/A

just be aware that maybe not all BT engineers are so friendly & helpful so tread carefully lol

Also if you screw up they will probably deny any involvement.

For what it's worth I suspect that the real problem is that the ring circuit is only one half of a second twisted pair and therefore it unbalances the circuit.

Microfilters have ring capacitors built in so if you are using microfilters the ring circuit is redundant.
N/A

However, I notice that there is a grey BT connection box just below my front door where the line connects from underground to come into the house.

Would it be even better to open this and remove the ring wires from in there, thus cutting out a further ten metres of wire inside the house before the master socket?

Can't believe what I'm reading here.. and a forum bright spark too! :lol: