cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports and downloading...anyone help plllease!

N/A

Hey, i have the normal Voyager modem that got supplied with my Broadband when i first got it (Going to get router soon). Anyway, i hear all this stuff about ports always being open when you are on a modem, but when i do a port test at shieldsup.com they say that ALL of my ports are closed. Even the NetBios are hidden, which is very strange. But i was wondering, what could be causing this? My Norton Internet Security is configured to allow certain internet programs to acess all ports, but this doesn't see to be happening. I have uninstalled Norton and the done a shieldsup test again, but stil it said all ports closed. The XP firewall is never turned on, because i don' think it works well. So i was just wondering, could this port blockage be the problem with all my surfing and downloading problems lately? As everything internet-based for me has just died.
Thank you.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Can you use your internet browser? I am guessing yes otherwise you wouldn't be able to post this message? What internet based programs won't work, is it P2P? Do the settings in Norton for these programs say "Permit All"?
N/A

yes i can see my browser. It is mostly P2P that i am having faults with, but i have problems with slow loading of webpages too. I am guessing my exchange has a great deal to do with this, but even between the hours of 12am and 7am it is quite slow still. And norton says permit all on all the common programs i use.
N/A

Slow loading of webpages is not a port issue. You would either see them or not. I would put this down to user ratio on ADSL connections. What P2P are you using?
N/A

if the port issue has nothing to do with the slow laoding of websites, then why is it all websites are slow at loading? I use BitComet as a P2P program but only when i need to. Using this program doesn't mean that my whole internet should slow down. But like i said, it probably is due to the VP going red....again Evil