cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port pings and probes

N/A

Port pings and probes

Is it just me or do you find people trying to come in on your ports allot??

We use zen @ the office and I never get any pings or port probing. @ home I have got 500k plus net and ever night I have about 5 or 6 port probes from outside users.

I was running a web server for a bit but I have had to lock off the whole thing now as I was getting fed out of adding rules to my firewall. I don't want to have to get a hardware fire wall for home as well as the office.

Anyone finding the same thing?Huh
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Port pings and probes

>I think everybody gets at least 5 a day, Ive just had 1 in two hrs so on average there should be six today :bandit: Is it just me or do you find people trying to come in on your ports allot??
>
> We use zen @ the office and I never get any pings or port probing. @ home I have got 500k plus net and ever night I have about 5 or 6 port probes from outside users.
>
> I was running a web server for a bit but I have had to lock off the whole thing now as I was getting fed out of adding rules to my firewall. I don't want to have to get a hardware fire wall for home as well as the office.
>
> Anyone finding the same thing??

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> Is it just me or do you find people trying to come in on your ports allot??
>
> We use zen @ the office and I never get any pings or port probing. @ home I have got 500k plus net and ever night I have about 5 or 6 port probes from outside users.
>
> I was running a web server for a bit but I have had to lock off the whole thing now as I was getting fed out of adding rules to my firewall. I don't want to have to get a hardware fire wall for home as well as the office.
>
> Anyone finding the same thing??

Depends on what they are and what you run.

If you play online games then expect Pings from every server listed in that games broswer, in what ever game you play.

Same for p2p utils.

But if a firewall is warning you of something then its working, just figure out what the safe Ignore rules are and set any major probes as a audible warning or popup <-- BUT not that when gaming, it's right pain having a forced alt Tab mid game when your FW sends a popup.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

lo there,you can check the security of your firewall at www.grc.com if it is working 100% they wont be able to connect to it