cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port blocking..?

N/A

Port blocking..?

Has plusnet begun blocking port 6881 (bit torrent) ?

My router is configured to allow this port and the windows firewall is disabled yet when using azereus i get a yellow face.

The second you change the listening port it turns to green?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Port blocking..?

A lot of ISP's block the common torrent ports - most torrent communities do so as well - because they know a lot of ISP's do so
If I was you I'd change your settings to a different range - up in the 64000 range and ensure you have a firewall turned on with the port you select opened.
Alecto
Grafter

Port blocking..?

Azureus works for me on port 6881.
It almost always has a yellow face - I think it turned green a couple of times for no apparent reason - but it downloads fast enough.
Can't get a sensible answer why it should be yellow though.
the_norris
Grafter

Port blocking..?

Plusnet only block port 135 - Netbios ports and another netbios port (Can't remember of hand) Unless you have selected the option to block P2P applications under your account settings.

The setting I believe is 'Disable P2P' under your 'My Account'.

Note: if you are on the old product called "Home Surf" the P2P ports are blocked. (well the common ones - shhh <-- I did not say that Smiley

Phil
N/A

Port blocking..?

I've always had green faces with azureus.

I'm on one of the premier options so nothing bar 135 is blocked.......

It's fine now that I've changed the port but I find it strange.
N/A

Port blocking..?

I would indeed check with the torrent community you are using. As noted, PlusNet only block ports 135 & 445 unless you are on Homesurf.

For the record, Homesurf has changed recently, it that it no longer uses port blocking, but rather traffic clasification. This means that no matter what port you use, they detect the type of traffic being transfered.

This means P2P use is near impossible, and that some applications which shared common P2P ports will start working again.
N/A

Port blocking..?

well the yellow faces returned... so i changed the port and again the green faces reappeared!

i'm finding this quite strange.
Alecto
Grafter

Port blocking..?

Apart from the colour of the faces, does it affect your speed or the way it works?
(I'm wondering if it's worth the bother of changing ports to get the green faces).

Perhaps they've introduced a Fair Port Policy where you can only have green faces for an unspecified number of minutes, then they change yours to yellow and give the green to somebody else. Tongue
N/A

Port blocking..?

are we seeing a new "AGFP"? more commonly know as the Acceptable Green Face Policy :lol:
N/A

Port blocking..?

rofl! probably... i prefer places where you have accounts and 'download credits' - suits me fine!

but yes - the speed does improve dramtically when you change the port and you get green faces. most annoying
Alecto
Grafter

Port blocking..?

very interesting.
I was happily getting along with yellow faces in Azureus, with decent download speeds till I saw this thread.
I've just changed my port for Azureus from 6881 to a different one and I've got green faces!

Since Pn aren't interfering with port 6881 as I'm on a premier package, it's certainly a coincidence. Perhaps it's Tony Blair's fault. Tongue
N/A

Port blocking..?

I am wondering if some clients are marking your system as stonned.

Chnaging the port may have tricked some clients into unmarking you or thinking your not marked at all.

How many open connections do you ahve at any one time. Does reducing the limit help any?
N/A

Port blocking..?

some trackers avoid the standard port and hence you will get the yellow face.....it will go green if the tracker hands on to some other peer.......stay away from the standard port......

woooowOOooo...its the bogeyman port..... Cheesy
N/A

Port blocking..?

acarr surly if u encrypted the data stream between the client and the seeders, the traffic filtering will fail as it will be unable to detect what traffic is being send.

buz
N/A

Port blocking..?

That is indeed true. There are still tell-tail signs however.

Given enough traffic to match, it is possible to work out what sort of data is being transmitted.

As you say, encryption is in use, so it doesn't mean it can read the data, just tell the class of traffic.

It is unlikely this sort of matching would take place however, as it requires much more load than standard pattern matches. On the scale of an ISP, it's likely far too much.