cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding

N/A

Port Forwarding

Hi,

This is sort of an extension of another of my posts but I thought that it would be better placed in a thread of it's own.

What is port forwarding used for? I've a DG814 and at first thought that I had to set port forwarding up to play games like Counter Strike, but was advised this is not the case. If so, then what is port forwading for? How does it work?

TIA.
R.
10 REPLIES
Aqua

Port Forwarding

N/A

Port Forwarding

Yup thanks that helped quite a bit...

Just to clarify... Does that mean that I have to port forward for the pc that I want to use to access the game server?

-R
Aqua

Port Forwarding

As you haven't really said anything too specific with regard to what you want

Try this page Smiley

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/game-behind-router.asp
N/A

Port Forwarding

Read that bit already :lol:

I'm still a little confused though :?

I want to play CS on an internet server using my computer which is behind a NATS router. In that case I presume I don't have to set up a Port Forward for each server that I might want to play (would be a bit rediculous!!) BUT do have to port forward for the computer which is my client (i.e. the one I'm playing CS on).

Thanks again.
N/A

Port Forwarding

In my experience you don't forward any ports to PLAY on a CS server (at least in my experience). If you wish to run your own server however, there are a few ports you need to forward. I think this was already mentioned, but try placing your PC in the DMZ zone of the router, so that all ports are forwarded to it, and see if CS works then.

If it does - port forwarding is the problem. If it doesn't - keep looking Smiley
N/A

Port Forwarding

I'll give that a go.
Many thanks again for this. I appreciate it!

-R
N/A

Port Forwarding

Putting things simply you dont ned to port forward anything if you start the contact from your pc's. So if you connect to port 125 from your pc the router knows to allow return packet to that pc.

When you need post forwarding is if external people need to acces a port on your pc. So if people wanted to see your web site on your home pc you woul have to port forward port 80 to your webserver.
N/A

Port Forwarding

Great!

That's sort of what I was hoping and it makes a whole lot more sense than having to open ports for every games server I might want to play on.

Thanks,
R.
Aqua

Port Forwarding

Nice, succinct answer mwright
N/A

All sorted

Thanks everyone.

I got onto a few CS servers last night without much bother except the length of time taken to actually start the game but I suspect that is my relic of a PC's fault....

Pings were impressive. Escpecially for me coming from a crappie dial up connection. Wen from a ping of >260 to <50!! My shots were actually reaching the target for a change.. lovely! Cheesy