cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding

N/A

Port Forwarding

Our company has a NAT ADSL 1000 connection
with the ADSL router connected to a 10/100 switch.

The router was supplied by BT, the web interface only allows me to connect/disconnect and change logon details.

I have contacted bt tech support (no answer)to try and find out if there is a CLI menu via telnet & if so what the connection settings are.

Any clues anyone ?

I basically want to set up some port forwarding to enable Incoming VPN connection requests.

Ta

Lee Greatorex
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Port Forwarding

> I basically want to set up some port forwarding to enable Incoming VPN connection requests.

Hi Lee,

Unfortunately, the BT managed routers are not configurable for port forwarding. The only option you have is to change from NAT to No-NAT on your account and run a server on the public IP to run DHCP etc.

This costs £75+VAT for the reconfiguration of the router and would take 2-4 days.

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Business Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> > I basically want to set up some port forwarding to enable Incoming VPN connection requests.
>
> Hi Lee,
>
> Unfortunately, the BT managed routers are not configurable for port forwarding. The only option you have is to change from NAT to No-NAT on your account and run a server on the public IP to run DHCP etc.
>
> This costs £75+VAT for the reconfiguration of the router and would take 2-4 days.
>
> Regards
>
> Josh

Thanks Josh, however

I still want to use NAT + have port forwarding Are these the options I have ?
purchase a BT compatible ADSL router/firewall that has port forwarding features and replace the bt supplied BT router.

purchase a standard router/firewall, convert the bt router to public IP (non NAT)this would give the new router the public IP. the new router could then be configured as the gateway + port forwarding etc.

Many thanks for your help
Lee

swythan
Dabbler

> > > I basically want to set up some port forwarding to enable Incoming VPN connection requests.

Hi,

I don't know if this is relevant to you, but I recently found out that NAT & VPN don't really work together (unless they are happening on the same box). NAT will change the packet headers, and this is what VPN's are there to stop (or one of the things).

This was when I was looking into using my ADSL connection as a VPN client (rather than server) and the NAT I was worried about (at the time) was happening on my modem/router.

I had the added bonus that if I turn off NAT on my modem/router (ASUS AAM6000EV), then the IPFiltering implementation wouldn't forward the VPN packets, as they aren't TCP, UDP or UCMP, but a different protocol. :-(

If anyone knows better, of course, I'd love to hear about it!

James

swythan
Dabbler

> > > I basically want to set up some port forwarding to enable Incoming VPN connection requests.

Hi,

I don't know if this is relevant to you, but I recently found out that NAT & VPN don't really work together (unless they are happening on the same box). NAT will change the packet headers, and this is what VPN's are there to stop (or one of the things).

This was when I was looking into using my ADSL connection as a VPN client (rather than server) and the NAT I was worried about (at the time) was happening on my modem/router.

I had the added bonus that if I turn off NAT on my modem/router (ASUS AAM6000EV), then the IPFiltering implementation wouldn't forward the VPN packets, as they aren't TCP, UDP or UCMP, but a different protocol. :-(

If anyone knows better, of course, I'd love to hear about it!

James