cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Speeds

N/A

Poor Speeds

Today all i am getting is 877.70kbps on 1mb.
That is a improvement to what i was getting 30 mins ago. i was getting just under 500. Whats going on?
21 REPLIES
N/A

Poor Speeds

Check the status of your exchange at this link
http://cgi.support.plus.com/exchanges/index.php
Exchanges with Amber status can be overloaded at peak times, especially if you are 1Mb or 2Mb DSL.
Of course, still make sure your own house is in order first.
N/A

Poor Speeds

Thanks for the link. I will look at that in future.
Speed seems to be ok now. I dunno why it went slow.
Community Veteran

Poor Speeds

Speeds will always vary depending on net activity and contension at your exchange or between you and any websites. It is not a constant.
N/A

Poor Speeds

Well i spoke too soon. Its really slow again. Exchange status says there is no problems. Evil
N/A

Poor Speeds

Southampton main exchange shows amber and we are now at peak usage time.
N/A

Poor Speeds

Im not on the Southampton exchange. I am on the Totton exchange which shows Green. Plus i have never been effected by peak times in the whole year i have been using adsl.
N/A

Poor Speeds

429.90kbps Now. Im getting sick of this.
Evil
N/A

Poor Speeds

lo,dont read into speed tests to much,i done one recently on dslreports and got an upload speed of over 2mb tried again and it was normal,on plusnets i either get a big fat zero or anythingfrom 700 to high 900's they are not accurate on the whole.try a file vault download and see what your transfer rate is,for 1 mb connection a steady rate of about 115k is probably as good as you will get,im happy with anything over 100k.
N/A

Poor Speeds

Southampton may be your local Hub exchange and may have an effect even though you are connected to Totton.
With the increase in people having 1Mb and 2Mb lines and much more data traffic, the problem of overload and slow speeds is going to get worse, not better.
Just think how many more people local to you will have gone onto DSL and maybe upgraded to 1Mb or 2Mb and you'll get the idea.
That is not even taking into account the contention issue on your DSLAM at your exchange. It is possible some bright sparks are on the same DSLSAM as you and on a 2Mb line and maxed out on downloading via P2P.
Anyway, where are you getting the speed test result from.
N/A

Poor Speeds

Im getting the speed results from Plusnets tester. I tested it just now and it said 550. Then did it again straight away it was ok.

Update. Just did it again and now its 792.60kbps and then 911. :?
N/A

Poor Speeds

Speed testers are notorious for inaccuracy. Look at the section on this in the Tutorial section of this forum.
You can try other speed testers and compare results. Another good one in the UK is on http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
One in the States (which will be slower than UK due to distance)
http://nyc.speakeasy.net/
or you can try the "real world download test" at
http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed/Checkup.php?Duration=30&Repeat=600&L=uk
This gives actual transfer spped and not connection speed.

The best way to determine your transfer speed is to choose a file from the PlusNet file vault (of a reasonable size) and download that noting the speed. 115K is about max for 1Mb connection
N/A

Poor Speeds

With ADSL guide i tested twice. Results were:
Downstream 937 Kbps (117.1 KB/sec) 1011 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 261 Kbps (inc. overheads)

And then

Downstream 898 Kbps (112.3 KB/sec) 969 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 261 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Normally i have a downstream of 120 ish. The above results are faster than what plusnet's one has been saying tonight. but sometimes its perfect at the normal 120 KB/sec but most of the other times i tested it today its been as low as 50. Its never been like this before its always been spot on.

Tried downloading a file from the vault. It was downloading at about 115 - 117. Which is nice. But i dunno why a lot of the time the plusnet tester is giving me a mix of good and very bad results.
N/A

Poor Speeds

The inaccuracy of the PlusNet tester could be related to the cluster problems they have been having lately. The test file still has to be served out.
I always find it better to use a number of sources for speed testing if I think the connection speed has deteriorated.
N/A

Poor Speeds

Ok thanks. Ill keep a eye on the situation and use other resources for checking my speed instead of Plusnets checker. Thanks for the help.