cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Line Quality, or Bad Splitters

N/A

Poor Line Quality, or Bad Splitters

Hi, I've had self install ADSL for about 6 weeks now, and while the ADSL stuff is fine with splitters on all the sockets (even those that don't actually have anything plugged in!) the voice part of the line is diabloical.

Symptoms include a very bad echo when using the phone, having to shout to be heard, asking the other person to shout so that I can hear them, and a standard dial-up modem can't detect the rings and whistles of the answering modem (although it will detect the dial tone!). This happens on all the extensions, and I've borrowed a friends phone just to check to see if it's the phone's problem.

So, has anybody else experienced this, and did changing the splitters and/or having the line checked help? The wife is getting a bit p***ed off Angry, to the point of asking if it's worth going without ADSL to have the phones working again properly.

8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Poor Line Quality, or Bad Splitters

This may be BT fault or a bad splitter.

What you need to do is unplug or devices form the master socket. Then try one phone and one splitter. If the noise is not their. Try each phone and splitter until you get the noise. Next get said culprit item and replace it.

If you cannot get a clear line with a splitter and a phone. Raise a contact us and we will get BT back to the exchange to fix the problem. Or even quicker ring BT on 150 and report a line fault.

Kind Regards

Kevin
--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

So it's not just me that has suffered bad quality voice connections since the ADSL install. The echo on the phone line is quite bad now.

Time to order some new splitters and see if that fixes the problem, as until now I assumed routing the phone via the modem's POTS port was causing the echo (I have now taken the modem out of the PC)

Ian
N/A

It may be BT's Fault. It may also be some equipment on the line. Simply try all combinations so that you are sre it is not your own equipment.

Kind regards

Kevin
N/A

No extra equipment has been added to the line other than the ADSL router.

The line has:
1 Sky Digital Box (SONY)
1 DECT Phone
1 "Normal" Phone
1 ADSL Router

The phone in the front room (Non-DECT) has no echo and is running from the same splitter as the sky box with a double adaptor. The DECT phone is on it's own splitter with the router and this is the phone I get the echo on. I'm coming to the conclusion that the upstairs splitter is faulty (may try switching the splitters over tonight)

Regards
Ian
N/A

Sounds like it.

Try just the exntension in the socket. 1 splitter upstaes with 1 phone and the ADSL device. Then swop the splitters....

You will find you got a bad splitter. Problem solved.

Kevin

--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

I had something very similar although I just have a DECT phone and no cable TV etc - no echo, but volume on the phone was negligible. I can empathise with your difficulties in explaining this to your wife Smiley

In my case a replacement splitter solved the problem.

This seems to be a 'feature' that no one tells you about - I couldnt find any info when I had my problem. Snice then Ive noticed a few posts on this subject. Is splitter quality control really that bad? Anyway Im up and running now with no complaints and believe me its worth it, so dont worry - it will work for you in the end...

David

> Sounds like it.
>
> Try just the exntension in the socket. 1 splitter upstaes with 1 phone and the ADSL device. Then swop the splitters....
>
> You will find you got a bad splitter. Problem solved.
>
> Kevin
>
>
> --
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>

N/A

Well it seems to be a problem with the line. In a complete turn about from BT since logging the call I've had 3 SMS messages and an engineer phone me in 24 hours all telling me there is a problem with the line, possibly inside the house.

As an aside the wife ordered different brand splitters just to be sure it wasn't the splitters (she's an IT manager for a 3rd line team so it's hard to baffle her), and the different splitters had no effect.

Will update the note when BT have finished tinkering. Thanks for the notes of support though!
N/A

Swapped the splitters and the echo has dissappeared on both lines. Sounds like the splitter is borderline on quality control.

Oh well, if the problem reoccurs I will replace it totally.

Regards
Ian