cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Bit Torrent Speeds and IRC dl's not connection

N/A

I've just changed over from BT Broadband and my torrent downloads seem to have gotten stupidly slow at the same time.

Hoping it was coincidence, I've tried downloading with mIRC through packetnews, but the only thing that even connected was one that I resumed from donkeys ago.

Any ideas?

(I have checked the firewall and both are still allowed through) (I'm using Azureus)

EDIT: Downloads from sites go at 220kb/s or so, but Limewire also gives me slow dl's. (About a tenth of it's potential, as with BTorrent)
8 REPLIES
N/A

According to where you posted this message from, you ae on the Broadband Plus package.

This package is not suited to if you wish to get high speeds on P2P application (which is noted in the product description).

With regards to mIRC, this is also patialy caused by the Broadband Plus package. A couple of weeks back, PlusNet implimented some new port blocks, to increase customer security.

These blocks have since been removed (the new ones) for Premier customers.

A side effect of these block is that mIRC by default, will be prevented from downloading. They are looking into the ability to allow DCC transfers whilst maintaining the security aspect of the blocks.

In the time being, you can use the work around by performing the following.

In mIRC, click Options and then select the "Option" sub-branch of the "Connect" tree catagory. Next click the advaced button.

Make sure that "DCC" is ticked.
In the first box, enter a value of 1030 or above
In the last, enter a value equal to or above that used in the first box

OK all these settings and confirm they have worked correctly.
N/A

Ach, never read all the fine print..
Got some kind of progress with mIRC, cheers.

When I looked at the plus service info, it never really said anything about blocking services with p2p. Somewhat annoyed at that.

I assume it's simple enough to switch from plus to premier/premium?
I'm on a monthly contract.
N/A

Broadband Plus does not feature P2P blocking. It is a product that uses throttling to provide the best possible speeds for things like web-browsing and email, with P2P application being throttled.

They do work, just slowly.

It isn't in the fine print
If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier

Would you not be questioning why they say this on the cheaper product?
Does it not ring alarm bells?
N/A

I've just been looking round other posts on this Forum. Slow download speeds seem to be a problem for everyone. I'm on Premier and, in spite of there supposedly being very little shaping, I've noticed a slow-down recently.

I've also just read a post from someone who upgraded from Plus to Premier and managed to increase his speed by a whole 2Kbps from 15Kbps to 17Kbps.

It seems to me that Plusnet are once again up to their old, underhand trick of saying one thing, doing another and trying to avoid giving anyone a clear answer to any query that might give the game away. They certainly don't email out details of service alterations any more, in spite of telling us they do.
N/A

Just remembering about the fair usage caper.

Does this mean throttling is lifted a little/at all between 1am and 8am or is this only for the premium account?
N/A

Does this mean throttling is lifted a little/at all between 1am and 8am or is this only for the premium account?

I definitely noticed a pick-up in speed around midnight/1pm last night so quite possibly, yes, but I haven't seen anything official from PN on the subject. Not that that's a major surprise.
N/A

The answer is no, in the simple sense.

Traffic management levels are not based on the time of day, but rather the amount and type of traffic in the network.

The idea is that as demand for higher priority traffic increases, the lower priority traffic is reduced in speed, to allow the higher stuff, well, high priority. As it decreases, then the lower priority traffic speed will increase.
HellFire
Grafter

The thing to remember with p2p and mIRC is that they don’t always give you full bandwidth its like when you look at the download rate it might say 8mb but its shared so you might only download at 80kb this is normal but from normal sites I always get full bandwidth