cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

LastRoMan
Grafter
Posts: 125
Registered: 15-09-2007

Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

Hi guys,
I read recently the reason why some people might be experierncing additional delays in downloading files from P2P sites.

Apparently the large film companies have cottoned on to the fact that pirate copies of their movies/films are being downloaded.

They have found ways to interfere with the downloads by introducing their own delays and maximum d/load rates. This will almost certainly be the case for people downloading films on current release!

In the same article it said that they would then attempt to identify the 'culprits' to their ISPs and ask them to desist or else...

KaZaA who I use for my own files allow the user to change their screen name and login by a different name - I have not tried this. I suppose it is feasible that the companies can monitor downloads from regular users and may not be so alert if they kept changing their screen name.

Any comments or experiences on this?

Cheers,
--
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

I assume your not telling your ISP that your downloading illegal movies over the internet and that you are merely curious over the technologies that are available out there on the internet.

Smiley

Kevin


--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
Grimbo
Grafter
Posts: 397
Registered: 23-05-2007

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

> They have found ways to interfere with the downloads by introducing their own delays and maximum d/load rates. This will almost certainly be the case for people downloading films on current release!

Don't see how they could possibly do this!

> In the same article it said that they would then attempt to identify the 'culprits' to their ISPs and ask them to desist or else...

I'm pretty sure ISPs wouldn't want to seen to be interfering or snooping on the browsing/downloading practices of their customers.
benoh
Grafter
Posts: 272
Registered: 24-08-2007

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

> In the same article it said that they would then attempt to identify the 'culprits' to their ISPs and ask them to desist or else...
>

We get several reports a day from large film studios reporting customer activitys both on p2p and IRC!!!

Be warned, they are watching you Smiley

Ben O'Hara
Systems Engineer
Plusnet Technologies Ltd.
N/A

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

> I'm pretty sure ISPs wouldn't want to seen to be
> interfering or snooping on the
> browsing/downloading practices of their customers.

You think they would rather be seen to be advocating theft?

--
Slàinte!
Al

[ADSL Home self-install + Asus 6000EV]
N/A

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

> Hi guys,
> I read recently the reason why some people might be experierncing additional delays in downloading files from P2P sites.
>
> Apparently the large film companies have cottoned on to the fact that pirate copies of their movies/films are being downloaded.
>
> They have found ways to interfere with the downloads by introducing their own delays and maximum d/load rates. This will almost certainly be the case for people downloading films on current release!
>
> In the same article it said that they would then attempt to identify the 'culprits' to their ISPs and ask them to desist or else...
>
> KaZaA who I use for my own files allow the user to change their screen name and login by a different name - I have not tried this. I suppose it is feasible that the companies can monitor downloads from regular users and may not be so alert if they kept changing their screen name.
>
> Any comments or experiences on this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
>
As it may be illegal to download these movie files, surely it is also an infringement of privacy laws to monitor user activity !
LastRoMan
Grafter
Posts: 125
Registered: 15-09-2007

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

> I assume your not telling your ISP that your downloading illegal movies over the internet and that you are merely curious over the technologies that are available out there on the internet.
>
> Smiley
>
> Kevin
>
>
>
> --
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions

You hit it on the nose Kevin!
seero
> | PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>

LastRoMan
Grafter
Posts: 125
Registered: 15-09-2007

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

> As it may be illegal to download these movie files, surely it is also an infringement of privacy laws to monitor user activity !
>

Maybe and maybe not! Depends on what it says in the fine print of the ISP's Terms & Conditions I suppose.
----------------
To add a little more fuel to the fire:
I also read in another article that the UK government is or has changed rules so that now companies are or will be allowed to (err snoop) on their employees to stop them downloading porn from the net or send/receive inappropriate e-mails.

This could be considered OK if they are doing it in work time or using company resources. Using the same ruling that if they develop an idea in company time it belongs to the company. In effect they are stealing time.
--------
And in yet another article about tracking paedophiles this was done through NGs and e-mails apparently. And although no one likes to feel they are being snooped on(1984 and all that)as it were - this does seem a specific and appropriate use of such snooping - at least to most of us.
------
However my original post has not really been addressed - is it possible for an outside organisation to use technology to slow down the connection? Apart that is from the particular site or p2p user setting a limit on d/load rate so as not to over power their server or PC.

seero
N/A

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

Just to clarify Jason,

We do not monitor your internet activity in terms of what you are actually doing online. The traffic management that was in place was on a general basis and designed to ensure quality of service for all our users and was not targeted at specific customers.

I would be very surprised if you found an ISP that didn't manage it's traffic in any way. Smiley

Best regards,
Mark.

| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

RE: Poor ADSL speeds and P2P

Hi there, Ive been following the above posts with some interest. When I was going into details of where to go for ADSL, I first enqired with BT. One of the things they told me was that if I went with the BT package I would not need an ISP. How does that work ? Are you connected straight to the internet ? What would happen in the case of someone trying to trace you, a knock on the door, or do BT act as the ISP ? If so, do they monitor what you are doing, and does any trace come back to them ? I would be interested to hear your comments on this.

Regards to all, John Taylor