cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor 8mb Speeds

N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

i've had 8mb for about 2months now but the speeds is all over the place. just did a Speedtest.net test & got the following, (tested @ 20.30)
download 1152 kb/s
upload 369 kb/s

latency: 311ms
server: london
distance ~200ml

i think i'm losing quite afew mb in speeds here Sad
my plusnet profile is set @ 6500.
anyone have any ideas on what to do about this?

thanks
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Poor 8mb Speeds

Hi,

What speed do you get on the BT Speedtester?

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

and also what does the IP Profile show?

Have you tried the test off peak as well?
N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

hi dave

as of 22.30 i got this result form BT
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6944 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 647 kbps

i have also done tests from main bt socket with similar results.
as for the time of day, it really does not make a difference,the speed is up & down quite abit all the time. the most i've got is about roughly 5mb. then when i try later on in the day it drops big time.
hope this info helps you & anything you can do to resolve would be great help

regards
N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

please can you do something, ive been waiting ages for my problem to be resolved my 8meg connection is crippled to 20k/s and ive raised a ticket but nobody seems to give a crap, im migrating out if this is not resolved in the next few days

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
DSL connection rate: 192 kbps(UP-STREAM) 384 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 226 kbps

look at this crap!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Poor 8mb Speeds

@rrandhawa

I can't see any reason from our side why your speed should be so low, I'd advise going through the fault checker in the connection settings area to report this to our faults team.

@kfouren

Looks like BT Wholesale have set your profile to 288, try removing any extension leads and using the router directly into the master socket through a filter. Rebooting the router a few times a day for 3-5 days helps the line sync up and therefore should nudge the BT systems in the right direction if your router is syncing at a higher speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

ive already been doing that since the problem started.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Poor 8mb Speeds

What are your router stats showing? In particular the sync speed?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

hi PN

i've done tests from main bt socket & without but this does not make any difference. i can reboot the router but surely i should'nt be doing this all the time. could the problem be my profile on your servers?

regards
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Poor 8mb Speeds

Your IP profile with BT and with us both match, therefore this should not be the cause of the problems. Go through the fault process as I advised in my previous response and we'll get this looked at.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

System up Time: 3:06:58
CPU Load: 5.71%

WAN Port Statistics:
Link Status: Up
Upstream Speed: 448 kbps
Downstream Speed: 8128 kbps
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Poor 8mb Speeds

If your router stays at that sync and doesn't have a low one in a 3 day period then BT Wholesale will up the profile on their systems.

It looks like the speed profile was reduced to 288 on the evening of the 5th, so if the sync has been stable since then and you have rebooted regularly then this should increase.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Poor 8mb Speeds

i've done tests from main bt socket & without but this does not make any difference. i can reboot the router but surely i should'nt be doing this all the time. could the problem be my profile on your servers?

Doing speed tests immediately after you have connected to the master socket will never shown an immediate improvement. Only after your modem/router has consistently synchronised at a higher speed for three days will you start to see BT give you a higher IP Profile and will you see an actual improvement.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

router has been online for about 6days, so you can imagine why i raise this problem. will do a BB fault check though.
N/A

Poor 8mb Speeds

If your router stays at that sync and doesn't have a low one in a 3 day period then BT Wholesale will up the profile on their systems.

It looks like the speed profile was reduced to 288 on the evening of the 5th, so if the sync has been stable since then and you have rebooted regularly then this should increase.

thanks, what if it doesnt?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Poor 8mb Speeds

Then there is something causing interference and therefore the poor sync speeds. Eliminate as much as you can from your internal circuit and then if there is no improvement use the faults checker in the connection settings area to report this to us.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team