cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poltergeist on the line

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Poltergeist on the line

I have been suffering with noisy line and being cut off when i receive or dial out. I thought it was a filter problem so changed filter this rectified the problem and was fine for a couple of days and noises started again and bad connection, so changed filter and was fine again for a couple of days so changed back to the first filter and was fine again i did this for a while thinking static was buiding up in the filter (dont know if thats possible but sounded plausable ?) then i just unpluged the line and this had the same effect it cleared the line for a couple of days and then the noises start again. It seems that static is buiding up on the line until it becomes unusable and i just unplug the phone and the line is perfectly clear for a while Huh? Is this a strange problem or have i a poltergeist ?? its a bit of a pain keep unplugging the phone or am i destined to have to do this ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as BT are totally uninterested but to be honest Im not sure its their fault........

[Moderator's note by chillypenguin: All CAPS title, changed to lower case.]
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Poltergeist on the line

Have you tried going back to one of the original filters and seeing if the noise is still on the line or whether it has cleared itself?

If the noise is appearing on the line without any other equipment being plugged in then I would advise contacting BT and reporting a PSTN fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Poltergeist on the line

I use previous filters and the noise goes but then comes back just the same as if i unplug the phone line seems to clear it for a couple of days.I suppose to illiminate the line as a source of the problem i should unplug broadband and see if the static builds up on the line without any equipment in a couple of days but just the action of unplugging the line seems a strange resolution to the problem no matter where the problem originates ?Huh
Community Veteran

Poltergeist on the line

As described in my previous post i am having problems with a noisy and bad line that seems to clear itself when i disconnect the phone plug the line sounds clear when nothing is connected. Can i ask a question... can static build up on a line ? or what would cause this problem that can be rectified for a period of time by taking the phone plug out and re inserting it ? I have changed filters but the noises only occure after two or three days HuhHuhHuh Obviously when the line gets bad so does my connection.....Please help anyone Thanks

Chris Parr's suggestions sounds a good one to me. When the problem reocures then report it directly to BT (or your telephone provider) as a voice fault.

Just a hunch but do you have an overhead line?

Chilly
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Poltergeist on the line

Yes i do have an overhead line, could that be significant ?

Thanks for the reply
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Poltergeist on the line

With regard to contancting BT as i explained the noise is not on the line when there is no equipment installed so it cant be a line fault that is why i wondered if a static build up is possible ?
Community Veteran

Poltergeist on the line

OK, so I am on a roll, watch me fall flat on my face with the next hunch.

Does the overhead line run through any trees, or rub against anything?
Or for that matter any of the other lines from the same telegraph pole.

Chilly
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Poltergeist on the line

I dont think so but i dont know where the overhead line goes but from what i can see it is clear of any trees etc
Isitme
Grafter

Poltergeist on the line

May be a silly question, but have you tried a different phone? Also disconnecting the 'ring' wire on the phone circuit has been known to give a big improvement. You obviously need a modern phone that does not require a ring wire.