cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet is not replying to my fault question- what can I do?

N/A

I have a long standing speed problem with my 'broadband' (currently about 150kbps), the BT speedtest will not run for me (you get to the second level where you log in as bt_test_user and it won't recognise my username). The only replies I get to my question are either automated or internal, and they just seem content to wait for the problem to go away.

Has anybody else had this experience? What can I do? I need help and there seems to be nowhere to go!
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi there,

The speedtester has changed somewhat for BT.

Are you using this link for the BT speedtest?

If you are, you'll find that you don't need to disconnect your r
outer/modem and login as bt_test_user any more

When it prompts you for your username after putting in your telephone number, please use yourusername@plusdsl.net for the login.

The speedtest will give you a description of your IP profile speed and will give you the actual throughput speed.

As I said, you don't even need to disconnect any more, the speedtester will do it for you Smiley

Hope this helps.

Roger.
N/A

New BT Speed test has a 2nd part if part 1 is really slow...

Yes, I am using the new speed test. If your speed is OK then thats it. However, when it returns a really poor speed (which mine does regularly) it says that further tests are necessary. It gives you 2 options - either to get help from your ISP (but they do nothing - all I receive is standard replies that I need 3 completed tests) or to log off your modem and log in as bt_test_user@plusdsl.net with a blank password. You can log in as this but it won't do any speed testing. You get a variety of different responses but no speed test. I have asked again and again but I never get any explanation or help from Plusnet.

The other problem I have is because my speed problem is intermittent eventually I will return a result from BT of 3-4Mbps and my question will stop being investigated (I am on about my 4th question now)

Incidentally I get different instructions from Plusnet - last time they insisted that I ran a test between 12 midnight and 7am (ouch - I'm in bed!) but this time they have said midnight and 4pm so its not consistent at all.
N/A

Hi justjat,

Just out of interest - what PlusNet package are you on, and what is your current peak time usage level (in: My Account>Connection Settings>View My Usage)?

Mark H.
N/A

speed test etc...

Justjat - you are not alone. I am guessing you are on plus not premier. In which case I have had EXACTLY the same problem, including the BT speed test one since I was LLU'd last October. Very very annoying. I've raised three queries with Plusnet now - each time THEY HAVE CLOSED MY OPEN QUERY, not me. Very bad practice. :x

Currently I also seem to be blocked out of myspace too (works fine from work, just not from home on plusnet). Pretty mucb getting to the final straw stage - though Plus advise me the problem (even though they are unable to identify what it is!) won't change with a new ISP.
N/A

Re: speed test etc...

Very very annoying. I've raised three queries with Plusnet now - each time THEY HAVE CLOSED MY OPEN QUERY, not me. Very bad practice. :x

Absolutely - they have a lot to learn regarding so called customer service/communication. You don't even get an email to let you know the question/fault has been closed - you just discover that "You have 0 questions" when you (eventually manage to) log in.

If the company I work for treated its customers' problems that way, they'd probably have us in court, and we'd be out of business in double quick time.
N/A

I am on Broadband Plus (or should that be dialup plus)

My current peak time usage is 382.37MB for January - I don't think I'm a heavy user (a bit difficult to be one at 150kbps!)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The test the new speedtest is trying to do is run a test between you and our gateway, thus rule out any speed problems on our network or the Internet.

The test login though may require a few changes making in your connection settings to work. Make sure that you've set both your IP address and DNS servers to be server assigned, if you've specified the IP address in your router, or DNS servers in your PC's network settings then it won't be able to get to the BT site to run the tests.

if it doesn't work then I would suggest running the old BT Speedtest and see if you can get the results off that:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

The reason for the change in times as that BT used to ask for results of the speedtests overnight, this has since changed to just peak and off peak.
N/A

I don't think I have much access to changing settings - I use a BT Voyager Modem (standard Plusnet kit), not a router - it was pretty well 'plug and play' when I set it up so I don't know how to change the settings you mention.

One thing I have noticed is discrepencies in my sync speed. The modem typically reports 7.6 or 7.3 Mbps. When I run the BT speed tester, when I have slow speeds it says'

'Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 6000 k'

but at other times it has given 6500k. The Plusnet site says 6500. Can this be part of the problem?

My speed is rubbish again this morning btw - 155kbps and still no real replies from Plusnet on my question despit having done the BT speed test 4 times now and had poor speeds on 3 runs.
N/A

I tried the old speed tester but got the following:

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@speedtester1.nat.bt.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I have had this before from that speed test but Plusnet has never answered questions relating to it.

The performance test returned this

"The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

There must be a problem, but still no activity on my latest open question. I really don't understand why Plusnet isn't investigating, or if they are why nobody will reply to my questions. I keep adding to the question but I get the impression its not being read!

I appreciate that you are trying to help.
N/A

Still trying to run BT speed tester - the latest error message is this:

"The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone numberSad***), did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection. Please check your telephone number and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP."

I have now run it 5 times with slow speeds but there is still no response from the support team to my question. I'm getting pretty fed up - I just want a reasonable speed.

Incidentally, my connection dropped for 20 minutes around 4pm, and all the Plusnet phone lines were engaged - did something happen? There is no mention on the website that I can see.
N/A

Help! Plusnet moved the goalposts. I ran all the BT speedtests as requested and now they want me to paste the results into the question ticket, but they never asked me to keep them. Surely they should have access. |I don't know how to get them back/ Cry
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

One thing I have noticed is discrepencies in my sync speed. The modem typically reports 7.6 or 7.3 Mbps. When I run the BT speed tester, when I have slow speeds it says'

'Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 6000 k'

but at other times it has given 6500k. The Plusnet site says 6500. Can this be part of the problem?

That's fairly normal. The throughput speed will always be lower than the sync rate, there's a table of how this is worked out on the following page:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

With the small fluctuations you are seeing in sync speed the throughput rate is about right. The figure we have on the portal can sometimes be a bit behind the rate you see on the BT speedtest.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Help! Plusnet moved the goalposts. I ran all the BT speedtests as requested and now they want me to paste the results into the question ticket, but they never asked me to keep them. Surely they should have access. |I don't know how to get them back/ Cry

Add what you can and we should be able to lookup the details on the BT system.
N/A

Thanks Dave

I'm still waiting for some action on my question and I am now running at an all time low speed of 27.30kbps although things seemed a little faster earlier. I just hope that I can get some answers and resolution this time.