cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet emails and Outlook Express

N/A

I am, hopefully, getting my Plusnet ADSL next Monday.

I have just the one default email box setup up automatically by Plusnet to which all my emails are sent.

I know that my email address is anything@username.plus.com.

As I understand it (correct me if I am wrong) I can set up ONE Outlook Express account to read ALL the emails in my emails in the default email box.

When I am asked bu Outlook Express to enter my email address what email address should I use?

Possible postmaster@usrname.plus.netHuh?

If I set up other mail boxes then each of them will have a specific email address that I can use.

Forgive me if this is all in the help section. I have had a brief look without success but I do not have much time as I am moving house this Friday.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can use anything for the email address in Outlook express, it does not matter.

So you can use chapple@username.plus.com or fred@username.plus.com. Basically whatever you want to be known as when people see your email. Any replies will go to your default mailbox.

What I suggest you do is call the default one postmaster@ then just create a new named mailbox for your use.
N/A

I have obviously not made myself clear. I am not worried about how I should use email addresses for my account. I now understand that.

Lets assume that I only have the default mailbox and this contains emails addressed to aaa@username.plus.com, bbb@username.plus.com, ccc@username.plus.com etc.

Now I want to use Outlook Express to read ALL OF THESE EMAILS in one go.

The question is this - what email address do I enter into Outlook Express so that I can use one Outlook Express Account to read all emails in my default Mail Box?
N/A

You can use any one of the three, hell, it doesn't even need to be any of the three.

The E-mail address there, is used as your from address when sending e-mail.

If you wish to collect from one account for the three addresses, then you will need to setup forwards for two of them, to point to the third. This will effectivly make sure they are all delivered to the one mailbox.
Community Veteran

The question is this - what email address do I enter into Outlook Express so that I can use one Outlook Express Account to read all emails in my default Mail Box?

The confusion is you keep saying email address - it is not used to collect email.

To collect email from your default mailbox you need to create an OE email account that uses your normal email login and password. It will then download any email for any addresses that don't have specific mailboxes created - i.e. your default mailbox - which will contain aaa@, bbb@ and postmaster@. If you have defined a mailbox on via PlusNet (e.g. sales@) then any email for sales@username.plus.com goes into the sales mailbox and emails for that mailbox will not be downloaded when you download your default mailbox contents. To get email for sales you use emaillogin+sales and whatever password you defined for that mailbox, and the email address yu set in OE will be sales@

What email address you use for this default account makes no difference and can be anything because it is only used when you are sending email not receiving it.

Do you understand now?
N/A

Hi, just create a different OE a account for them all using each user name and password, per the https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=145 You can have a different inbox for them all if you want by creating 'rules'.
Chris
N/A

Mailboxes

I wonder if there is a confusion between mailboxes within Plus.Net or different identies which is used to separate, say, family members' mail withing one computer on a PC?
It isn't the same thing.
Maybe I'm just being simplistic but that's my understanding.
Doc,
vic_newey
Grafter

what can be simpler? I have 2 +net & 1 tiskali e.mail accounts & ouitlook just rapidly scans all 3 & downloads the lot. Just go to tools/ accounts/ add/ mail, & fill in the details making sure the outgoing server is relay.plus.net
N/A

It may be very simple once it has been explained but I have never had an ISP that gives unlimited emails addresses in the form alias@username........

So I was not sure whether I had to separately collect the mail for each alias separately or whether I could collect all the email, in the default mailbox, in one go whatever alias is used.

I thank you all for your detailed help and patience with me.

I have dealt with computers almost from the start - starting with the physically large Elliot 803, with only 8 Kb memory, very large analogue computers and the Commodore Pet through to the modern age. I have learnt dozens of computer languages (Algol, Fortran, DOS etc etc) but none of this helps when you go into something totally different - no matter how easy.

Many thanks. I hope I will be able to cope when my line goes live next Tuesday (holding breath!)