cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Speed test not working?

dsmail
Grafter

I use this utility on a regular basis to check connection, but over the last week or so have had no joy with it. The page comes up OK saying test is in progress but just hangs there forever with no conclusion. Is there a fault with it or is it just me. I tried it at work and all appeared fine.

Any thoughts?

Dave
14 REPLIES
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Works OK for me.
N/A

The speed test works for me, but its not working aswell as it has in the past. It seems to take a second or so to build up to full speed and sometimes it stalls for half a second or so mid way through the download. It's not a contention issue, because if i do the test on adslguide that work's fine at full speed from the start and for the whole of the test. I think there are some problems with the speed test at the moment.

Andy.
dsmail
Grafter

I tried ADSL guide speed test as well which worked fine, just interested to hear if anyone else had same probs.

Thanks

Dave
HellFire
Grafter

Maybe if you have a firewall try and disable it
dsmail
Grafter

I thought of that, but had used it many times with firewall running with no problems so didn't follow up. However, tried again with firewall disabled and all was fine. Now I have to figure out how to allow the speed test to operate with the firewall running....how do I do that?

Thanks

Dave
Alecto
Grafter

It behaved oddly tonight.

Saw the post, so ran it twice and it came up with 300k!

Ran it again ten mins later and back to normal, so coould be the tester playing up?
HellFire
Grafter

The reason the firewall has blocked it when it never before is the updates and to make it accept it you could try and allow it in the popup blocker since the test window is a popup
dsmail
Grafter

Good idea but the speed test will only run when Norton Personal Firewall is disabled, not exactly an ideal position to be in. I tried disabling the ad blocker and pop up blocker but no joy. What I did notice though is that NPF only has to be disabled long enough for the speed test to begin, when it has, NPF can be enabled again and the test completes OK.

Dave
N/A

Expect to find lots more problems with your internet connection in the future thanks to Norton internet security, a sure fire way to not get infected with anything because you usually cant use the net anyway. Good Luck :!:

Andy.
dsmail
Grafter

Not so! Sure, NIS has it's problems, limitations and icompatibilities, but no more so than any other other package in my experience, that's why I......eh......use it! When coupled with the likes of Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster to name but a few in my armoury, I'm reasonably water tight these days.....so far!!

Dave
N/A

Sygate firewall personal pro with XP sp2, AVG antivirus, spybot, adaware and also Microsoft Antispyware here. Runs like a dream compared to when i had NIS 2004, its a good idea, but somehow it never seems to quite gel properly not to mention its £50 a year and last but by no means least, it slows your pc down that much it's just not worth having. I can guarentee if you run the package i have above, you'll realise how slow NIS makes accessing the internet and how much it generally slows your pc down. It's not my PC either i'm running an AMD Athlon 2800+ with 1gig of ram.

My parents had it on there Athlon 64 for a while too (another £50 wasted) and it even made that system unstable and slow.

This is just my experience with NIS 2004 maybe they have some of it sorted now. I always remember being flabbergasted when i looked to see how many processes NIS had running in the task manager just for itself, i was amazed to see that there were 11 of em!!!!!

Andy.
HellFire
Grafter

I use nortons and i like it
dsmail
Grafter

Well it's horses for courses I suppose. There's many ways of protecting our PCs from all the nasties out there with endless products and services doing the rounds. After trying SP2, decided not to keep it so with SP1, some of my choices are limited, but with an older sytem supporting some older software, I'm quite happy for now! I've also read that Norton products do hogg system rescources, but you get kind of used to it. SP2 will have to wait for my new PC, by which time XP will probably be in the MS OS museum!

Dave
N/A

Speed testing

Hi all,

I'll probably be putting my foot in it here buy saying this? but I totally hate the speed tester on Force9 portal its a complete pain it is extremely inconsistent and I never know if its going to work, and then when it does I dont know if the results are accurate. I have stopped using this tool for this reason, have submitted support ticket recently but F9 staff saying its working nothing wrong with it? sorry! x3 on the run didnt work for me & have no idea why!

I now use DSL reports speed tester and find the results far more consistent and reliable, also I'm not running a speed test on servers that are relatively local to my machine nor connected to my ISP's own network and I feel that DSL reports probably gives me a truer reflection of my speeds as a result.

**But thats NOT to say I wouldnt like to see the F9 speed tester working consistently & reliably.

Ivan
F9 Broadband Premium 2MB user