cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - No Binary Servers?

N/A

I've been upgraded and am suffering very poor speeds to Astraweb and Easynews and Plusnet say that's by design? but I'm getting like 10kbs and before the upgrade I was getting 150 - 200kbs on the same servers. Is anyone using a binary server and what's the max speed you're getting?

Cheers...

Anyone using the new SKY package yet? 16 meg unlimitedHuh
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Which of "Astrawebs" servers are you using?
What account type are you on at plusnet?
Do you know how much data you have used during peak time for your account type?
What kind of d/l speed are you getting other than nntp?

I can easily max out my connection using nntp during the night. ie 5 to 6 Mb/s.

I am using the "europe.news.astraweb.com" server, because I have recently had slow downs on the "pbdl.news.astraweb.com" server.
N/A

This is a reply from PN explaining that sppeds are throttled, but you say you're getting 5-6 megs on the same EU server I'm using which doesnt make sense...I've posted his reply to me...

To test my speed I use this site http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ and I get just over 2 meg....

+++++++++++ PN REPLY ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is correct speeds are deliberately slowed down for binary downloads on the broadband plus package as its not mean for this type of download. I'm sorry to hear you may want to cancel your account due to this, however if you decide you do, please just let us know via the ticket system and we will pass it to cancellations for you.

Regards,
Link:CUAremoved

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Agents name removed. Please dont post these as it against the Link:rules
Community Veteran

Hi drewster.

As you can see above I asked you what type of account you were on a week ago.
I am on the "premier option1" account [£21.99]
The info you have been given from CS is correct for the "plus" [£14.99] account that you pay for.
By how much the plus accounts are restricted on such protocols I have no idea, I just know that restrictions do exist for that account type.
Maybe it is to do with your monthly peak allowance being used up? I dunno.
kosh2
Grafter

As above. You are on the wrong package for usenet.
I get 100-120kbs on my connection (1 MB) via the euro server.

Fewer and fewer ISPs offer decent binary usenet coverage. Suggest you look at other ISPS if you don't want to pay the £21 such as newnet or wait to see what Sky will offer in terms of FUP.
N/A

I was downloading from Astraweb last night and getting just under 500 Kbytes/sec using two connections on Newsleecher. I'm on Plusnet Premier (£21.99/month).
kosh2
Grafter

why am I only getting 120 then?