cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Bandwidth Tester

N/A

Plusnet Bandwidth Tester

Hi

I have been told that Plusnet have their own local bandwidth tester web tool, can someone point me to it.

I have normally been running my own tests against ftp.plus.net by uploading a 1 MB file and timeing it, and comparing it with what www.adslguide.org reports, as I have been getting slow upstream speeds lately and I would like to test this with Plusnets own tool, although at present the upstream problem seems to have sorted itself for now.

Any info appreciated Ali
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Plusnet Bandwidth Tester

Hi.

I don't know where the PlusNet bandwidth tester is mate either.. if it exists.

But as for the really slow and pausing uploads we are getting, i just filled out a detailed letter yesterday and submitted that to PlusNet through ADSL fault.

I told them lots of other folk have this slow upstream like i do. and submitted a test.
It's up to them or BT now to look into it.

Can't post anything here that i shared on the contact us. but if there is a fault, i'm sure PlusNet will post something on the status soon.

It might help if other PlusNet ADSL users were to fill out the ADSL fault report aswell,
as they only act on faults reported.

My report alone might not be enough to make BT do anything. see my previous thread "UPSTREAM PAUSES"
posted a few days ago here.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Hi Jason

Would you like me to also raise a ticket regarding this problem, I tested it yesterday (Sunday) at 17:00 and upstream was terrible I then tested it again at 23:00 and it had sorted itself out and returned to 226Kbps, I first noticed the problem as i run a Dungeon Siege games server and started to recieve complaints of lag so i asked the other playes who are regulars to my server so i know most of them to check their conns all of them reported fine so i went and checked mine only to find this upstream problem of 31Kbps which is a joke.

I tested all this against ftp.plus.net as I know Plusnet have something against www.adslguide.org testing tool but so far it has always reported correctly in all the comparisons ive done against timed uploads/downloads to ftp.plus.net which has been a lot over the last 3 months.

Wasn't going to raise a ticket since it was fixed when i did my second test, will be monitoring it over the next few days to see if and when it happens again it could well be only occuring at busy times ie congestion of some sort.

Cheers Ali

N/A

Hi Ali.

I just updated the topic "UPSTREAM PAUSES"
yes if you could report it, it might help.

As many reports for the same problem will get them to look into it quicker.

I done a ADSL guide test there:

Broadband Speed Test Results

Results from your most recent broadband speed test recorded on 07 October 2002 at 14:23:54.

Your Connection

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 465 Kbps (58.1 KB/sec) 534 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 279 Kbps (inc. overheads)

As you can see it looks normal with these short uploads and download bursts.
but when you start FTP or P2P transfer for a longer period of time, it slows down and then pauses then resusmes, then pauses again.

I tested the FTP upstream in general on host europe and it is the same, so is playstream when i upload my files.

And as for Live365 which works with a constant stream, i can't use it.
as like you were saying.. the rate drops so much and is not very stable that you lose client connections.

Sad
--
Jason
=====
N/A

To add. i think you're right, the time of day has alot to say on it.

But still Ali, they should look into it and fix it.
PlusNet did say before they installed the new Fat Pipe that they already had more thasn enough capacity for current users.

If so, you'd think it would be ok at all times..
ahh well we shall see what happens now i have filled out that report.

Thanks.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Hey,

http://monitor.plus.net

The PlusNET Bandwidth test is there. Enjoy Smiley
N/A

Oh good MR TAC thanks for that!