cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet ADSL is NOT "Always On"

mooneyfamily
Grafter

Got the email from Plusnet this evening.
Now my adsl is to be turned off every 30 mins if inactive.
Great "Always On" means on some of the time to Plusnet Sad
My sons laptops connect via a wireless router so when cut off they will now have to come to my desktop to reconnect that should impress them.
I find it hard to believe that an inactive but connected connection uses much in the way of resources. More likely, I suspect, is that this affects the statistics for contention ratio. But practically who cares what the contention is if you are getting a decent service.
Much disgruntled of Berkshire
Peter
59 REPLIES
N/A

have a look here
ADSLGuide

they say that they may not implement itHuh??

so what is realy going on? have they or arnt they or they might

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Link edited as it was stretching the page]
N/A

i for 1 will be off if they do this
Community Veteran

Are you on broadband Plus or homesurf,?

If not then it will not affect you.

Also many routers have an idle timeout setting, often set to 5 ot 10 minutes by default.
N/A

I Object to Plusnets Plans - Always on !!

I have emailed them back to say I object to the planned changes - I suggest you do too. If you don't email back then you, by default, accept the changes. If they then introduce the changes they are breaking their contract with you !!
Community Veteran

The email address used to send out communication is not monitored as it states on it. It's for distribution only, not for 2 way communication so any replies are simply discarded.

If you want to object, raise a ticket. If you are not happy with the new T&C ask for your MAC code and move elsewhere.
N/A

i for 1 will be off if they do this

Same here. It's hard enough trying figure why there's no connection.
Is it the PC?
Is it the router?
Has PlusNet dropped my connection?

If this is implemented I'm definitely moving.
N/A

So if you want to run a webserver or you need to connect to your pc at home while your at work you cant as it will be disconnected.

The only way around it would be to keep it active for no reason ie download crap to keep the connections. This will just make matter worse.

I have a company on Plus net who connect to their server via the interent this will now drop the connection and effect the company as they cant connect to place orders. I would say its false advertizing and the idea of a contract is it is just that a contract and it cant be altered unless both parties agree
N/A

I would say very few customers are running webservers on the products that are affected by these timeouts.
N/A

I have a company on Plus net who connect to their server via the interent

Using BB Plus or Home Suf for businesss use?

Would a Teleworker not be more beneficial?
N/A

So if you want to run a webserver or you need to connect to your pc at home while your at work you cant as it will be disconnected.
I would say its false advertizing and the idea of a contract is it is just that a contract and it cant be altered unless both parties agree

I quite agree. "Always on" should mean just that and a contract is a contract. I bet +Net wouldn't agree if their PAYING customers decided to change the specific of the products they are PAYING for.

Perhaps there should be a +Net customers union? What am I saying? We are a union! One out, all out comrades, let's find an ISP that provides a true "always on" connection and DOESN'T keep dicking around with the products we are PAYING for!
Community Veteran

Perhaps there should be a +Net customers union?

What like the official usergroup, or the unofficial plusnetters usergroup?
N/A

we can leave for free right?

WELL its very unclear about that:

from: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2349 PlusNet has since come back to us and stated that they made a mistake and that the cost of deferred activation would indeed be chargeable in addition to hardware, although they will waive other contractual obligations requiring a minimum term.

i migrated so i still am very confused

off to check if plusnet emailed me
N/A

Following receipt of the same e-mail, I raised a query with PlusNet (the only sure way of getting them to listen). The text is copied below. Fell free to use it (or something similar). We do need to club togetehr if we are going to stop this HUGE cut in our service.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently received an e-mail regarding the introduction of 'idle timeouts' for Broadband Plus Customers.

I wish to formally make an objection to this change in my service. While dressed as a change to my T&Cs aimed at improving my service, this is in fact a fundamental and significant reduction to the same.

I do not accept this change and should you insist on implementing it, I will be forced to seek a new service provider.

The 'always on' concept is a fundamental advantage and selling point of broadband when compared to dial-up connections. Further, like many users, my connections settings are all stored and controlled in my ADSL modem. Thus, whenever the connection drops out, I have to start my web browser, goto my modem's home page, log in and then connect.....EVEN IF I WANT TO USE E-MAIL.

I repeat, this is an unacceptable and significant reduction in the quality of service you currently offer.

I request that you DO NOT implement this change or I (and I am sure a large number of other customers) will be forced to leave.
Community Veteran

Just to play devils advocate for a moment....

Can you state anywhere on the portal, in the T&C or anywhere during the signup/migration that PlusNet state what they offer is an 'always on' connection? I have had a quick look and cannot find any reference to always-on anywhere.

Broadband is stated by or assumed by others to be an always-on connection but is this actally what PlusNet sold you.

Assuming it is/was always-on based on what others have said means nothing unless PlusNt specifically stated it as such.