cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet won't give me a MAC code

N/A

I've been with PlusNet for over 3 1/2 years, but the recent fiasco with the Local Loop Unbundling and supposed MaxDSL upgrade combined with their all-new un-helpline have tipped the balance for me and I've decided to move on to another ISP. My request for a MAC code to facilitate my move was turned down on the grounds that it is no longer PlusNet's resposibility. The ISP I intend to move to informed me that this is not the case.

It seems that not only does PlusNet not care about the poor quality of service and their non-existent customer support but that they're detemined to punish anyone who contemplates moving to another ISP. Such unprofessional behaviour does not bode well.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Exactly what problems have you had?
Community Veteran

I really cannot understand you being given a reply suc as that which is both wrong and against what PN normally do.

Can you post the ticket text and number where PN said it was not their responsibility please - either here or in a PM and I will take it up with PN via PUG as the CS agent clearly has no understanding of this.

A MAC can only be issued by your current ISP and PN will do this if asked and you have paid fulfiled any contractural obligations and paid all oustanding monies (given your length of time with PN there should not be any).

Have you been moved to the alternate network supplier (i.e. LLU on Tiscali). If so, issuing a MAC is possible but very few ISPs actually support LU migrations as it is still in the trial stage. If you do want to move you can request you are moved bacjk to BT IPStream after which you can then migrate normally. PN have stated you will not be out of pocket should you wish to migrate when on LLU so hold them to that statement .
N/A

schersmith, Since the MaxDSL 'upgrade, my connection quality has detiorated to the point of unreliability. I do live internet music performances and the last thing I need is for my connection to drop in the middle of a performance.

petervaughan, I will paste in the PN reply yo my request. There are 2 sets of replies. The first deals with my request for a MAC code.

Question topic: Your question | ID: 19924593 Open
Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 12:36pm, Thursday 27th July 2006

[ Internal ]
Please cease the customers ADSL on the date specified below:
09-09-2006

Regards,
Link:CUAremoved

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

[Notification sent to: postmaster@alazarin.plus.com]
Your comment 3:17pm, Thursday 27th July 2006

Thank you for only answering half of my request. As I intend to move to another ISP, I will need a Migration Authorisation Code. You have not supplied with an MAC. I need a MAC code to give to the ISP I intened to move to so that they can take over my service. Also the date you gave me (09.09.2006) is way over the 30-day transfer period listed on your website.
Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 11:53pm, Thursday 27th July 2006

Please be advised that you are on an LLU connection, and as such, we are unable to provide a MAC key.

[internal]
Please cease as above. Thanks.

Regards,

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
Your comment 1:11pm, Friday 28th July 2006

Fine, so where do I get the MAC key so that I can switch to naother ISP?

I'll continue with the second query in the following post.
N/A

Here's the second query:

Question topic: Move to Another Broadband Provider (ISP) | ID: 19916686 Open
Your original question 1:32pm, Wednesday 26th July 2006

[Support Wizard Journey]
[Another ISP]

[Additional Information]
I want to move to another ISP because the quality of your service has deteriorated so badly since I signed up 3 1/2 years ago that it is no longer sufficiently reliable for my purposes. Furthermore your help line has become totally useless. I do not see your service improving in the near future so I have decided to move before your service ceases to be functional.

You may contact me on 0207.801.0831
Link:CUAremoved CSC Agent 12:36pm, Thursday 27th July 2006

Dear Mr Cargill,
We are sorry that you wish to leave. Please take note of the following:

- Your account has been scheduled for a downgrade to a free account on 09-09-2006

We take your feedback very seriously, and would be grateful if you could help us to improve our service by completing an online survey at:

http://www.plus.net/go.html/yourfeedbackmatters

Completing this survey will provide you with an opportunity to feedback on your experience with us and will be used to help us improve our service in the future.

Regards,

Your comment 4:51pm, Monday 31st July 2006

Hello, I need a Migration Authorisation Code so that I can move to another ISP. So far I have found your procedure to be extremely unhelpful. I have discussed your company's response to my request for a MAC code with other people and have been informed that it is your company's responsibility to issue a MAC code and that it has nothing to do with the Local Loop Unbundling as implemented by BT.
It appears that not only do you expect me to put up with a deteriorating service and your dead-end helpline, but that you are also making it difficult for people to leave and have their internet connection provided by another company.

----------------------------------

Ok, maybe my spelling is a little bit off and I'm prolly not all 'sweetness and light'. But I have been with PlusNet for over 3 1/2 years. The recent changes and deterioration of service do not inspire my confidence. In fact it has all the hallmarks of a sinking ship. As such I have made my decision to get out before I lose my internet connection for an extended period of time.

As you can see by their replies to my request that it has not been dealt with properly. I asked for a MAC code so that I can move to another ISP and the PlusNet reply was to downgrade my account and to deny any further responsibility. This is not prefessional behaviour.

I have yet to recieve either a MAC code or a reply informing me as to who to contact as regards getting a MAC code.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): TSA names removed as per the forum rules]
N/A

Whats the story with your MAC code now?

Today (9th august) i asked for a MAC code and i thought it was going to be straight forward but ive read a few posts and there seems to be a big problem with plusnet giving you your MAC code.
N/A

There is no problem in getting a MAC when moving from one IPStream product to another. The difficulty in the case arose because the OP is on LLU and the process to move between providers is not as simple.

MACS for a LLU move can be obtained, but this is a trial scheme and not all ISP's are taking part or will accept MAC's.

In the normal course of events, ie straightforward switching of ISP's MAC's are not a problem and once all contractural obligations are staisfied and all outstanding payments made, the MAC will be gerenrated without difficulty.

Hope that helps a bit. Smiley
holdtight
Grafter

In this situation Mark (at this moment in time) is the only option open to the
op or anyone else for that matter a full cease and reprovide ?

Bill.
N/A

HI BIll,

Its not the only option.

If the gaining or new ISP can accept LLU MAC's then a cease is not required.

I dont know how many SP's are involved in the trial though.
holdtight
Grafter

Ok cheers Mark !
N/A

The ISP I plan on moving to does not support the LLU program, so I will most likely end up with 1 - 2 weeks downtime until my new ISP can reactivate my line. FWIW, I have been informed that my local line has been 'unbundled' (whatever that means) to Tiscali. All the problems I have experienced with my internet connection have ocurred since my line was 'unbundled' and the MaxDSL 'upgrade'. Both ocurred at the same time for me.

I had enough of these flakey 'domestic' ADSL providers and am moving to an 'industrial' ADSL provider.
N/A

Boy am I sick of answering this one.

Plusnet promised to send all customers two emails:-

The first one when their exchange was due to be subject to LLU informing them of the option to opt out of LLU.

The second one when the customers line was to be changed to LLU in time to opt out.

They also added the caveat that we would not be able to opt back in so of course the natural thing to do would be to wait until you got the second email.

Surprise - the second email comes too late to opt out. Most of the time the email just arrives to congratulate you on your move.

Never mind, plusnet promises that you will be moved back if you have problems.

Surprise, they don't stick to that either.

If you wish to move to a provider that doesn't support the trial migrations (whoever they are cos nobody knows) you now have to pay for the move back yourself, to the tune of £47+VAT.

They may move you back if you originally used the opt out (it was clearly on display in a locked cupboard marked beware of the leopard)
of course you didn't use the opt out because either:-
a) you didn't know about it.
b) you didn't use the opt out because you thought you had another chance to opt out later.

Oh yeah this was back in April they promised you and the PUG they were keeping ALL their customers informed.

Anyone see a pattern here?
Anyone comprehend how an ISP can't manage to send customers an email.
Been banging on for months about this and seeing loyal customers such as yourself alazarin go through the totally unecessary pain you are going through due to plusnets complete incompetence and dishonesty.
They will answer or not as the case may be, but one thing for sure is they will do nothing about it. Customers will continue to be moved against their will without knowing the full implications because plusnet have decided that this is in the best interest of plusnet.