cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet web servers down?

N/A

Is it me, or are the web servers playing up?
Try accessing your home page. Or my home page for that matter.
Can't FTP in, either.

The CGI side of things seems OK though.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Your site works for me
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There's no problems with the web servers and your site loads fine for me too, what errors do you get?
N/A

It's OK, sussed it this afternoon, just got back this evening and tried it.

Try accessing site: Netscape reports "The document contains no data"
SHUT DOWN PEERGUARDIAN
Try accessing site: all OK!

Turns out www.cops.co.uk is hosted by PlusNet, and PeerGuardian blocks its IP address, therefore blocking everything else on homepages.plus.net as well!

My mate alerted me last night that the site was down. No prizes for guessing what was running on his machine as well...
N/A

Bah - I would remove the line from the Peer-gurdian database, as they have to wrongly listed.

Peer-gurdian databases come in the form of a IP address range and name. In the case of the cops.co.uk entry, it only lists 1 IP address.

This happens to be homepages.plus.net

Considering this is a static HTML only server, it would be impossible for cops.co.uk to use the server for any testing or attacks. AKA, there is no need for it to be listed.

Simply remove the line with 212.159.9.131 from the list

Also, peer-gurdian has the alternate web-server at PlusNet listed too for another company. You can also safley remove this from the list.

You will find this under the address 212.159.8.1.

As noted, these are static content only servers. You are more at risk from sites hosted on the CGI server, which is not listed.
N/A

Done it. I thought 212.159.8.1 would be cops.co.uk's own IP address (the ADSL router at home, or whatever)?

E-mailed a correction to PeerGuardian's list managers, too.
N/A

homepages.plus.net - 212.159.9.131
regd.plus.net - 212.159.8.1

These are both official PlusNet server, and not Dialup or ADSL IP's.

IIRC, these are two load balanced servers hosted in redundant locations. IE, once site goes pop, site two takes the grunt.