cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet supplied router

N/A

PlusNet supplied router

I've been a PlusNet customer for a couple of months, using a router I picked up at a computer fair and I'm very pleased with the service. In fact, I've recommended it to my girlfriend and she has bought the package with the router option and is waiting for connection.

I was intending to install it so that both of her PCs connected to the router, but I've heard that the router PlusNet supplies only has one Ethernet connection. Can anyone confirm this? Is there any other connection on the router (ie usb) that will allow 2 PCs to connect?
7 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet supplied router

There is only one ethernet port on the router and no USB port.

The router is till intended do be used with more than one PC, only not without a HUB or Switch. You will need a multiple port hub or switch to allow you to share to mroe than one.
N/A

PlusNet supplied router

Make sure you get a switch and not a hub. A hub passes all the traffic over all ports a switch doesnt.

This means if you are copying lots of data on the local network it would kill the conection a switch wouldnt
N/A

thanks

OK, thanks for the advice.
N/A

PlusNet supplied router

We've bought a switch.

The Solwise 130's manual says use the supplied straight-through cable to connect to a PC, but a crossover cable to connect to a hub.

What do we need for a switch? A crossover cable, the same as for a hub?
Community Veteran

PlusNet supplied router

A switch is just an intelligent hub so switch=hub for any connection options.

Often hubs/switchs have one of the ports labled as a link/uplink port and/or with a button or toggle switch next to it to allow either a xover or staight cable to be used in that port. Sometimes the toggle switch is labled xover/normal (i.e straight).

You could try either until the light on the switch for the port comes on or goes green or whatever indicator it uses to show the port is active.
N/A

PlusNet supplied router

Great

Thanks for your help
N/A

PlusNet supplied router

A lot of the newer switches have autosensing ports, so you can use either a Xover or strait.