cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet suppled router - problem

N/A

PlusNet suppled router - problem

Wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the PlusNet supplied Alcatel AR11 Router.

Since installing yesterday I have had 2 periods when the router has worked. On both occasions there was nothing else connected apart from my router. On both occasions I used the connection for about an hour and it worked fine. Got some game patches I had been saving for the arrival of my ADSL – absolutely great.

The 2 occasions when it worked it burst into life after playing with the telephone wires; either removing telephones or using and extension. No need to restart the router it just burst into life.

Now when I repeat similar test conditions it will not work.

Though the router will not work my dial up modem will work when connected to the to the other half of the filter. So there is a connection but perhaps not good enough for the router (the electronics engineer in me doubts this).

Currently the only other clues I have are the LEDs on the router.
PWR – ON
WAN CD – FLASHING (Was on when working)
WAN LNK – OFF (Was on when working)
WAN ACT – FLASHING
WAN TST – OFF
TX – ON
RX – ON
LAN – ON

Anybody know what the WAN CD or WAN ACT lights are for?

I have tried all the PlusNet help guides and spoken to support who are still looking at the problem.

I have no problem connecting to the router using a browser.

grateful for any help

gavin
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PlusNet suppled router - problem

Hello Gavin, I have this router, so can help with the purpose of the LED's even if not the reason for no connection.

Seems interesting that you say the Tx and Rx lights are on, these are to indicate data through the serial port when configuring it from a terminal, so they should be off.

The ACT light just flashes continously indicating that the router is working correctly.

The CD is 'Carrier Detect' and flashes when the modem has detected a line connected and is syncing with the other end, when the connection is in sync this goes steady.

The LNK in on when a link is active, and like the LAN LED for the ethernet port, flashes when data is being transferred.

I would recommend power cycling the router when playing with the phone lines, even though it seems to be OK, you never know.

Hope that goes some way to help.

N/A

Hello Gavin, I have this router, so can help with the purpose of the LED's even if not the reason for no connection.

Seems interesting that you say the Tx and Rx lights are on, these are to indicate data through the serial port when configuring it from a terminal, so they should be off.

The ACT light just flashes continously indicating that the router is working correctly.

The CD is 'Carrier Detect' and flashes when the modem has detected a line connected and is syncing with the other end, when the connection is in sync this goes steady.

The LNK in on when a link is active, and like the LAN LED for the ethernet port, flashes when data is being transferred.

I would recommend power cycling the router when playing with the phone lines, even though it seems to be OK, you never know.

Hope that goes some way to help.

N/A

Thanks Andy,

A correction of my original mail. The TX and RX light are out. The rest of your information confirms what I was begining to suspect.

By the way you don't know how to make the router connect and disconnect manually do you?

hog
N/A

Hello there, no I don't know how this is done, I noticed the bit of paper that came with my modem said that the connection should be set to 'manual' but I set mine to 'auto' and turn it on and off when I want the line or notSmiley I have the router connected to a hub which is feeding a couple of machines that usually stay on 24/7, so I am using the 'always on' to it's fullest conclusionSmiley There is the full manual that came on the enclosed floppy, but I must admit I haven't read all of it yet:-) Also, sorry for replying twice before, I hit the back button on the browser which re-submitted the messageSmiley
N/A

The manual on the floppy is not much use for solving my problem or telling you how to connect and disconnect manually.

On the router web page under "Monitor" there is a link "Operating Status" that opens a separate window with a Connect/Disconnect radio button thing. But it always says connect and I can't persuade it to say disconnect after hitting "Finish" or "Refresh". Not even sure it is an input, it may just be an output.

Sad gavin