cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet's bandwidth meter

N/A

PlusNet's bandwidth test meter, how reliable is it exactly? i just did a test and got 144kbps, then did another and got 499.00kbps, then did another and just got 498.00kbps :?

Thanks
11 REPLIES
rikmoncur
Grafter

I just did a test on my 512 connection and it said 790 (yes - 790!!!) must have been an error tho, I've done a few more tests and it's back to a more expected 490-500
N/A

If you want a "second opinion" you could try ADSLGuide.org.uk's Speed Test.
N/A

well i just did a test on there and got 493.00, then did a test on www.world-of-adsl.co.uk and got a constent 61.3kb/sec download rate: but then i did a test on www.adslguide.org and it said 465kbps im all :? here

Help.
N/A

Just to note, the +Net speed tester is very unreliable.

This is at no fault of +Net, but the way the technology used to perform it works, and how quickly your web-browser interprets data.
N/A

Well im getting about 61.3kb/sec from www.world-of-adsl.co.uk and i think that sites quite reliable Smiley

Thanks.
Community Veteran

well i just did a test on there and got 493.00, then did a test on www.world-of-adsl.co.uk and got a constent 61.3kb/sec download rate: but then i did a test on www.adslguide.org and it said 465kbps im all :? here

Help.

You may be getting confused with Kilo Bits and Kilo Bytes.
There are 8 bits in a byte so if you see areading of 60kB this is kilo bytes and equites to 480kb or kilo bits.

Note the Capitalisation to denote the Byyte from the bit.
N/A

Yeah i get ya, i think :? so if i see a reading of 58kilo bytes then thats 464kilo bits :? correct? but i did a test on your bandwidth meter and it said 490 kilo bits which equals to around 61.3 kilo bytes: which is what i got on the world of adsl site :? so im wondering now which is right!!

Oh my head hurts Cry
N/A

There is a simple answer to that, and a long winded one.

Simple: Both and niether.

Long winded:

These speed tests measure the time time takes to transfer a pre-determined filesize (even if it is random, a recod it kept of the exact size).

Based on the time it takes to transfer the file, a small mathimaticaly equasion can calculate the speed at which it was downloaded.

This speed is based on the time it take to transfer the data between yourself, and the server from which you are downloading.

Because the +Net server, and the other server from which you downloaded are physicaly not the same machine, and are not located on the same network, different tranfer rates may be seen between the different systems.

Speed tests are rather flawed for several reasons.

1: Technology.

An example is the +Net tester. It uses a small peice of javascript to determine the time the page started to load, and the time it finished loading.

By feeding it the filesize, it will calculate the speed.

The problem with this, some browsers can be slow to parse the page, and thus record the start time laster than they shoud, resulting in speeds faster than it should and in some cases, marked as faster than your connection would allow.

2: Point-2-Point

These tests only point out the speed between your computer, and another computer on the internet, and nothing more.

There are millians of other machines there that you could download from, yet you receive slower or faster speeds from.

The only good they do, is help to diagnose issues at times, and can also help calculate average speeds.

Speeds are only as fast as the slowest link in the chain.
N/A

RxTx network/internet trafic monitor.

One simple way to monitor your speed while downloading is to use programs like RxTx
http://download.com.com/3000-2155-10125432.html?tag=lst-3-1
This wont test your connection speed but only tell you what speed you are downloading/uploading while a file(s) are being transfered.

It's a very small program that you can leave running in the background so you can build up statistics of how much data trafic you have been using (by right clicking on the screen).
N/A

re.. traffic monitor

might i also recommend netstat live from analogx.com

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

great freeware tool for reporting current uploading & downloading speeds as well as monthly totals for uploading and downloading...very handy
N/A

Re: re.. traffic monitor

Very useful if you're on Home Surf and you transfer a lot of data. Sure this would help you to calculate the amount of data you transfer easily.

Moderator note: Removed quote. It is only the post above (acarr)