cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet's Vision for 2006 - update

N/A

I've just read this and have a few questions.

I am currently on Broadband premier 2mb at £21.99 a month. If I upgrade to 4mb or 8mb, i will have to pay £29.99 or £39.99 respecivley. Will I get this extra I am paying reduced until I am actually getting 4mb or 8mb?

Also, what will be included in the titanium package and how much is it?

Thanks

Michael
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

AFIK if you upgrade then you will pay now for either the 4 or 8 meg service and you wont get it until its available (some time in 2006 ?) so you would gain nothing exept a higher download bandwidth allowance.
Unless you are hitting the current limits for your account 30GB peak time 100 GB total then I would wait until its actually available.
N/A

Thanks. Two more things:
1- what does AFIK mean.

2- I do a lot of online console gaming. Is there a pakage avalibe that will suit this as icould do with a higher upload rate than I have.

Thanks
Community Veteran

AFIK is short for "As Far As I Know" Smiley

Unfortunately All the current packages have a set upload spead of 256kb as this is the limit that the present ADSL format will allow.
Without getting too technical the upload frequencies sit between the Audio spectrum and the Download frequencies so cannot be expanded.

This should I beleive change when ADSL2 becomes available in the future Smiley
N/A

ADSL2 is the 4mb/8mb isn't it? Do I have to buy anything new for ADSL2 or will all my current equiptment work?
Community Veteran

No the 4 to 8 meg is going to be "Max ADSL" where your line will synchronise at the highest rate that it can cope with (up to 8 meg)

ADSL2 is a new technology and I'm not sure that existing modems or router will be directly usable with it.
N/A

When can we expect ADSL2 then?
Community Veteran

:? Your guess is as good as mine on that one but I don't expect that it will be Nationally available for some time yet.

Knowing BT it wont be released until its been field trialed and they are 100% certain that it will work without causing them a load of grief with faults etc.
Community Veteran

Internal beta trials of ADSL2 by BT are only just starting and given past trials I don't expect to see any national rollout until 12 months after the trial. It will also be dependent on how well the trial goes as well. Other companies (Be I think is one) are also trialling on a select few exchanges on LLU.

Also ADSL2/2+ is not the answer to many peoples speed problems. For one, the higher speed 24Mbs will only be available upto 300Meters from the exchange and it only increases the available distance for certain speeds by 500Meters (i.e. a 1Mbs speed will be available to those 500M further than the ADSL technology allows) and the decrease in speed drop-off is just the same as ADSL as both a relying on old copper technology and loss of signal.

Only VDSL is likely to give a boost in speed for the majority (this involves putting small DSLAMS in the green roadside boxes) then fible to the exchange but this is likely to be 3 to 5 years away and very expensive to install.
parish
Grafter

Unfortunately All the current packages have a set upload spead of 256kb as this is the limit that the present ADSL format will allow.
Without getting too technical the upload frequencies sit between the Audio spectrum and the Download frequencies so cannot be expanded.

This should I beleive change when ADSL2 becomes available in the future Smiley

Upstream speeds will increase with DSLMax too. From 64kbps - 448kbps for Home products and 64 - 832 for Office products, in 32kbps steps.