cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet, is your speed tester accurate?

N/A

Looking at the forum activity over the past few days I noticed there are many angry customers irate about their lack of BB speed. Thought I would offer this observation which may be of help to PlusNet?
Over the last 4-5 months, I have noticed a large discrepancy between speed results from PN and a quaint checker from an ISP called Namesco. Try;
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

The reason for drawing it to your attention is that PN’s checker always vastly underestimates my speed!, relative to Namesco’s results…

I would hate to think that PlusNet is upsetting many of its customers unnecessarily because its speed checker is returning duff info or is suffering contention on its own network?

I wouldn’t of thought Namesco would report higher speeds than is real as they offer this check to persuade you to come over to them! Or am I being fooled?

PlusNet, you may want to look in to this speed checker and note it is a neater interface (speedometers and the like) and more importantly, performs and upload speed check as well.

Some recent results;

PlusNet
16-02-2007 18:06:33 2292.8
16-02-2007 18:06:02 2001.1
16-02-2007 18:05:32 1769.2

Namesco (around the same time)
Download speed: 3700 – 3850 kbps
Upload speed 695 – 708 kbps ( I am on a business contract)

For completeness, router reports sync speeds of; DN - 5500 to 5800 kbps and UP as 832 kbps always.
Hope you find this interesting,

Kevin
14 REPLIES
N/A

A new speedtester, based upon the same software used by the namesco speedtest (ookla) is on its way already. Wink
N/A

Just after running your speedtest m8 & it came back 112kps
flicker
Grafter

The speed test posted above always grossly over exaggerates my speed. I've just done it now, and have done so many times over the past week or so, and always gives me a speed of around 2072kpbs download speed. Which is pretty clever seeing as I'm on 2meg b/b :lol: It was even giving me that speed when I was taking about 30 seconds to load a page last week, so frankly would take their readings with a huge pinch of salt.
Isitme
Grafter

Go HERE to the BT tester, it will show your line profile, DSL connection rates and your throughput. The result looks something like this
Test done 16.2.07 at 3.00 pm.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5850 kbps

This is my result today around the same time the PN checker was just over 3000kbps.

I agree with the comments about Namesco, it is even less accurate that the PN one!

EDIT- Just pulled this from PN-
PlusNet Speed Test

Your current speed is:

201.10kbps

Which means you can download at 25.14 KB/sec. from our servers. Our results show that your current speed is below the level we would expect for your product, you may be able to increase the speed of your connection by adjusting your settings.
Cry
N/A

Thanks for the link to the BT tester
Just tried one after other;
the BT tester
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5344 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4237 kbps

NAMESCO
Download : 3850 kbps

and... PN's
2050 kbps

Namesco & BT seem close with PN nearly half !

Why are these checkers so different?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
flicker
Grafter

I've just done that BT test one, and I don't get anything like the information you two have got. Sad

All I get is
The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user xxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1925 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxxxxxxxxxxx, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP

(I've replaced my ip address and phone no obviously)

How do you guys get the other info then about the line profile and throughput? :?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

All I get is
The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user xxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

I get the same results as you. Are you on the Max product or on a fixed 2Mb product? Personally, I am still on a 1Mb product mainly because I know I have a long line and the stats are not good.
I'm assuming the BT tester knows which type of ADSL product you have on the line and adjusts the test and results accordingly.
flicker
Grafter

Ah that must be it then, yes I'm on 2MB, haven't asked to be upgraded as there seem to have been a lot of problems with it, and I don't want downtime, and slower speeds than I get now. If someone can convince me it's okay now, I'd love to be upgraded to MAX, I'm only 150 metres from my exchange. Smiley
Isitme
Grafter

You should go for the upgrade Dolly, as close to the exchange as that, you can look for 7mb+. Raise a ticket and you will be upgraded very quickly. I am about 2 miles from my exchange and regularly get 4.5 to 5 mbps, although at the moment I am at 450kbps. I am on BB+ so expect a slow down at busy times. Wink

EDIT Just powered of for a few minutes and am now getting 5308kbps Smiley Rebooted but it did not help, seems the gateway had not time to change with a reboot!
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I'm only 150 metres from my exchange. Smiley

If you are already on 2Mb and that close to the exchange, Max should be fine for you. I believe most of the people who had problems with Max were those with long lines and poor stats, you should be fine. If you modem/router gives you lines stats, go along to here and put your stats into the boxes and it will estimate what you can expect from Max.
Unfortunately I live 30 times the distance from the exchange, about 4.5km and I only managed to get as much as 1Mb when BT changed the requirements for 1Mb. With my attenuation and noise margin I might be lucky and get 1.7Mb, but with such a long line, I'd prefer to keep the stability of a fixed speed product (for as long as I'm allowed anyway).
flicker
Grafter

Just done that test -

A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 8192kbps (kilo bits per second).

Cheesy I think I will ask for the upgrade then. Not that it matters too much because I don't do much in the way of downloading, and what I have now is fast enough for browsing and things, but still, move with the time and all that.... Cool
pjemmanuel
Grafter

You should get full speed then, I only get an estimate of 1765kbs Cry hardly worth the hassle of trying and maybe losing the stability I've got here.

Perhaps I ought to move.....
N/A

Speed test are a waste of time and just a con because I believe speed tests are http traffic which PN likes to keep a high priority so they can be good.

A speed test is not necessarily the download speed you get if you try to download a file. I am on the old HomeSurf 1 mgb and I get as low as 26kbs sometime when trying to download.

Do yourself a favour and forget speed tests.
Zathras
Grafter

Lo Galm Cheesy