cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet - are they going to closedown?

N/A

PlusNet - are they going to closedown?

I'm not going to write anymore remarks about the BT gateway problems or my slow speeds ot the "fat pipe" installation. i have wrote here for over a week about the same thing over and over again, posting ping/traceroute and speed logs like the other folk have.

I have noticed too alot of the regular posters on the ADSL forum have also stopped, maybe they caught on before me, there is no point posting.. nobody reads them!.

Plus i have been a customer for 2 years on dialup and changed over to ADSL on April 9th (queen mums funeral).. and in that 2 years i have only started posting in the forums within 1 month.. and it's all going no where.

I don't want to be known as a pain in the A.
so i'm stopping, i didn't complain about anything before, and PlusNet tech support have always been very helpful to me, it's not their fault, but as a previous poster wrote 'management' THE BOSS.

But it crossed my mind, are PlusNet in trouble and going to close?. support don't answer these posts anymore, and when they do, they just tell you to look at the service status, which hasn't had anything new since August 1st 2002.
the august 2nd posting which to date is the last post, is just a copy and paste of August 1st, which was deleted when the August 2nd posting came up. I noticed too on the status it says next update will be on the 7th of August.
Why seven days to give customers an update?.

I sense something is up..
forgive me if i'm wrong.. just a feeling.
--
Jason
=====
15 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PlusNet - are they going to closedown?

Hi Jason,

Maybe you are right that something is up.

There have been no posts overnight and no updates to the service status, despite a number of threads being started and contributed to.

I have never seen this lack of info from Plus Net before. Like I have said before the customer service has always been very good, up until recently.

John
N/A

I don’t think PlusNet are in trouble it may be just the opposite they are being to successful with there ADSL service. Possibly bringing in more customers than they can currently handle.

From my experience early Saturday Sunday mornings. If I log on around 9.30am it goes straight through no problems at all. The speed for browsing is excellent. Pages open near on instant all the time. Downloads are also very good pings rang in the low 50ms.

Then during the day it gets slower and slower. By around 9pm to 10pm. Things are much worse. Web pages open but really slowly taking a good 5 or 6 times longer than earlier in the day. Downloads are still pretty good overall.

It sounds like to me that as more people log on they just seem to run out of bandwidth for there users. I could be completely off the mark but that’s just my take on the situation.

If you look they support still answer question in the PlusNet forum. So my take on this is that they have been asked to not answer questions in the ADSL forum for now or they have answered the same questions over and over again and see no point in just repeating things.

Its just a case of wait and see what the next few months bring. I think things will work out OK in the end.
N/A

The problem is that I am paying a subscription for a service that just isn't being delivered!

Why should we wait for several months to see what happens and have to pay for it?

If Plus Net are so successful at attracting new customers then they should be in a position to afford the infrastructure to support it and not have any issues.

If I get let down by any other product/service my rights as a consumer allow me an exchange/refund. That should be the case here aswell.

I still note that Plus Net are conspicuous by their absence of replys to the posts and to my requests/comments in previous threads.

John
N/A

I agree with you to a point and think your right in you views. But they seem to be trying to sort the problem out. They have said there will be a new pipe installed. It is to be moved forward from the end of August to a sooner date.

At this point we do not have any idea on that date as yet. But I am hopeful we will hear that date on the next service update. Again this is not an ideal answer by any means but if they are having difficulties in getting a response from BT then so be it. A few more days are not going to hurt. Even if they come back with the pipe will be installed in 2 or 3 weeks time. At least we know. My views may upset some people but hell its only the internet. Its not the end of the World if it is a bit slow for a few weeks. On the whole its still a lot faster than 56k modem ever was.

I would like to say I DO NOT WORK for PlusNet LOL. I guess I am just more tolerant than others about these sort of none life threatening issues. It would be a different matter if we had no service or support never gave any indication of status. But they seem the be up front they acknowledge the problem and are trying to resolve it. What more could you really ask for.

As for the absence of response well I can not speak for them and have no idea why they are so quiet. My best guess would be they either A have been told to not respond to the ADSL forum until service update or more likely B they have already answered the questions several times and they have nothing more to add.

N/A

> I don’t think PlusNet are in trouble it may be just the opposite they are being to successful with there ADSL service. Possibly bringing in more customers than they can currently handle.
>
> From my experience early Saturday Sunday mornings. If I log on around 9.30am it goes straight through no problems at all. The speed for browsing is excellent. Pages open near on instant all the time. Downloads are also very good pings rang in the low 50ms.
>
> Then during the day it gets slower and slower. By around 9pm to 10pm. Things are much worse. Web pages open but really slowly taking a good 5 or 6 times longer than earlier in the day. Downloads are still pretty good overall.
>
> It sounds like to me that as more people log on they just seem to run out of bandwidth for there users. I could be completely off the mark but that’s just my take on the situation.
>
> If you look they support still answer question in the PlusNet forum. So my take on this is that they have been asked to not answer questions in the ADSL forum for now or they have answered the same questions over and over again and see no point in just repeating things.
>
> Its just a case of wait and see what the next few months bring. I think things will work out OK in the end.
>

Plus net have no obligations to respond to messages on their discussion forums, surely. In fact, when they start replying, people will complain about how unuseful the replies are. They reply on the general group. But not on ADSL?
N/A

>
> I sense something is up..
> forgive me if i'm wrong.. just a feeling.
>
> --
> Jason
> =====

I,ve put up with a slower ADSL connection than my old 56K dialup modem for the last two weeks thinking it was just one of those things and the proffesionals will put it right. Reading posts over the last 10 days however, I'm reminded of my last service subscription - 12 months to ITV Digital!! I'm starting to panic now!!

------
Shirty
------
--
Firejack
Grafter

"PlusNet - are they going to closedown?"

I've gotta wonder... do you just enjoy starting rumours? Got some money invested in a rival ISP? Why else would you type such a potential malicious message header? Sad
N/A

> "PlusNet - are they going to closedown?"
>
> I've gotta wonder... do you just enjoy starting rumours? Got some money invested in a rival ISP? Why else would you type such a potential malicious message header? Sad

Hold on he is just asking a valid question that has more often than not applied to ISP'S Redhotant,Nutshell to name 2 i could name a lot more as i was with them all.

In both cases service went belly up when funds ran out, I believe Plusnet operate on a very sound financial footing. What i also believe has happened is they have not taken enough preparation prior to installing their ADSL capacity like actually finding out what the equipments "real" capacity is, and taking other peoples (BT's) word for it, which seems to be very naive for a technology based service company.

In a word "Trust No One" test, check and check again repeat until its right.

I have to follow this nearly every day as i write software for my living some of which is safety critical.

Hopefully Plusnet will be around a longtime, not sure if i will be with them though as I said in a previous post this is now the second time ADSL has come to a major slowdown on Plusnet a third time will be one time to much for me at which point i move on.

Cheers Ali

Keep asking questions its the only way to learn Smiley
N/A

> "PlusNet - are they going to closedown?"
>
> I've gotta wonder... do you just enjoy starting rumours? Got some money invested in a rival ISP? Why else would you type such a potential malicious message header? Sad

In Reply:
Hey FireJack

It was a simple question, my header, i have been with an ISP that couldn't handle the amount of customers before, and we making no profits, as BT were charging them more than they were making "QUIP" a cheap phone company which leased the lines from BT for a 24/7 non-metered dialup service for only £5 a month.. yes only £5 aslong as you made phone call through "Quip", had their own service for the internet (LineOne was involved too) early June 2000 before i joined PlusNet later that same year "October 2000".

PlusNet hadn't been responding to any remarks left here, and the status took from August 1st to August 5th to be updated, i wrote the above message(s) before August 5th.

My ADSL is as everyones crap. maybe you use your ADSL just to surf the web, in which case it is still fast on the download but not as fast as it should be, i'm more instrsted in the Upstream which is very very slow @ 6K/bs and more important to me at the moment.
ADSL is affecting people in different ways.. depends how you use your connection.. surfing webpages or for more demanding heavier use. (as i have paid for)

And NO FireJack i have no money invested in any other ISP other than PlusNet.. i have posted over and over all last week how great they are, and how it's a shame this has to happen to them.

I'm a PlusNet customer for 2 years now, i'm not new here.

And i wouldn't dream of typing "malicious" things about them or any company. i think you're the one taking my posting the wrong way.. it isn't to start a rumour off, it was a simple question.

If i intended on starting rumours or being malicious towards PlusNet i would have wrote alot more. But i didn't did i?!. plus it would be illegal.

PlusNet are the best ISP i have ever been with, i had the chance back in April to join "Telewest" broadband cable for much the same price.. (Blueyonder.co.uk) but i didn't, i stuck with PlusNet b/c their services are not found anywere else and as a customer of two years, im happy here and have no intentions of moving to some other ISP. Or investing my money in any other companies.

The status now states work will be done for later today by 10am. until they get BT to install the fat pipe, i'm happy with that.

Ok FireJack does that explain enough?!.
End of topic i'm not looking for fights on forums Smiley
--
Jason
=====
N/A

PS> I got the date wrong about "Quip" and the LineOne £5 24/7 service.. it would have been back in summer of 1999. It was before AltaVista and BT started the fixed rate dialup.. and we were all paying for 0845 4pence a min calls, fixed rate was launched back in March 2000 if i'm correct.. the laws were changed regarding paying so much, everyone was paying £15 to ISP a month and also 4pence a min to BT on the phone line, i recall my bills were always nearly £300. i used MIRC and ICQ from 1997 to 2000.. so when Quip and LineOne offered that deal it was just too good to be true, and sure enough it floped three months down the line. they blamed people for leaving the computers switched on 24/7 even when they weren't using the net, it caused problems and they couldn't pay BT.

After which i joined BT internet in March 2000 when flat rate launched.

then left to join PlusNet in October 2000.

Ok thats it from me.....

--
Jason
=====
N/A

I don't think its fair to suggest that Plusnet are about to go belly up. As someone who works in Network Operations for another service provider (we do B2B not consumer connection) I can say that the chances are that the silence is endemic of the way people in Net-ops tend to react when things go wrong.

Back in my days of phone tech suppoprt and when we had dial up consumer services we used to have a phrase for times like this. They were 'random' times. That meant we gave random excuses for what was wrong. It wasn't so much lying as us saying 'yeah there is a problem, its very technical and we are not sure what it is, we are wokring on it as a matter of priority please bare with us blah balh blah blahblah blah'.

To the best of my ability I have located where I believe the problem to be in these connectivity issues and they all start _after_ the BT home gateway. For some reason the first pop after the gateway are two IPs that belong to some American company called Semo. Packet loss begins on these routers and then increases in severity as it hit Plus.net's core network in Telehouse. (I presume something in the BGP peering is going amiss there). After this the peering session enters another AS belonging to Band-X (who are based in Millbank Tower). The packet loss from here on (depending on where you go of course) seems to be ok.

Basically I think the problem is a core one, and knowing what people that work in the core departments are like, I doubt very much that you are going to get a totally straight answer from them for some time, if ever. Now before anyone shouts about poor customer service if they don't, its not really, what I mean by straight answer is that you are not going to get a full blown technical answer for what has gone wrong. The reason for this is going to be the simple fact that the vast majority of people simply wouldn't understand it, after all we are talking about big Cisco kit here with some major f***ing routing tables and BGP tables on. No point in explaining in great detail something that requires a CCNP to understand.

I know its annoying, but at the end of the day the service has been reliable, and everyone goes through periods of bad moments where problems seem to come on a rolling basis. These periods are usually followed by periods of complete calm to the point that you actually start to worry something must be wrong because nothing has gone wrong.

Chill.

Phil
N/A

Now I have said this the problem seems to have cleared.

Phil
N/A

oops made a typo. Its not a company called Semo. The IPs belong to BT.
Firejack
Grafter

>>Ok FireJack does that explain enough?!.
>>End of topic i'm not looking for fights on forums

Nope Jason. I'm not looking for a fight here either. I save my fights for closing time at the pub Wink !! (That's a joke to lighten the mood on this topic BTW)

I mostly use my ADSL connection for Surfing, E-mail and Gaming. So I'm probably not like you in my usage of my ADSL connection as I don't use quite as much bandwidth as you seem too. So I'm probably no feeling this ADSL issue as much as you. But still. The Message Header still seems kinda provocative to me.... but hey its done now. Lets turns our efforts to solving the current problems Smiley

Later,

Andrew.