cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet and Vista

N/A

PlusNet and Vista

I discovered once I had changed over to Windows Vista that my moden would no longer work, so I went out a bought a new one with the intention of connecting the modem and my PC with an ethernet cable so I could have an always on connection. Needless to say I can't get a connection and I can't find anything on the PlusNet site which can help me. Any suggestions? I'm using someone else's computer to do this.
22 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet and Vista

When you say you cant get a connection.

Do you mean between vista and the router or the router and PN?Huh
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

PlusNet and Vista

There are not many drivers out there for USB modems on Vista, you would be alot better using an ADSL router as these are not operating system specific.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

PlusNet and Vista

did you get a new modem or a router? If you got a new modem chances are it wont work with vista either. If you got a router give us the model etc
N/A

PlusNet and Vista

I bought a modem router on the basis that I couldn't use USB drivers on Vista at the moment. It's an Addon ARM8200. I have connected the telephone cable between the phone jack and the the modem and used an RJ45 type cable betwen the modem and the PC. All the lights on the modem are working as they're supposed to. The line is still activated.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

PlusNet and Vista

Hi,

Are you able to log in to the router's setup pages? The instructions that came with the router should tell you how to do this, I can't see any connection attempts showing up, so as it's in sync I'd suspect that something in the setup isn't set correctly.
N/A

vista and modems

This is by way of a 'me too' except that I'm not so far down the line. When Plus Net customers purchase broadband for use with vista, what kit is being sent out and why? That might help those of us teetering on the edge to decide what to do. :?:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

PlusNet and Vista

Customers can choose which hardware they want, the Voyager 105 USB modem doesn't have Vista drivers and there's mention of this during the signup process so that customers don't select this but instead opt for a router or purchase hardware elsewhere.
N/A

PlusNet and Vista

I know Plus Net can't technically recommend a particular device but I'm assuming that the router a new customer might choose from Plus Net (rather than go elsewhere) is vista friendly. If that's the case, it might be prudent for those of us with less IT savvy - or less time to implement it - to choose the same. At least if it plays up, there won't be that whole 'we don't recomend that one sir/but you said I could choose what I liked' scenario! Am I anywhere close here? Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

PlusNet and Vista

The BT Voyager routers we supply should work fine with Vista as should most routers simply because most routers don't require any driver software on the PC so will work fine with almost any operating so long as you have an ethernet (or wireless) card and a web browser. I'm using a Netgear DG834G which works fine with Vista, Windows 2000, OS X, my PDA and a bunch of other stuff.
N/A

PlusNet and Vista

Brilliant - thanks. Cheesy
N/A

PlusNet and Vista

Back to the job in hand.

you should type 192.168.1.1 into your browser you should then be asked for a username and password which is addon for both username and the password.

In the centre of the screen is quicksetup atm interface should be 0
operation mode should be enabled
encapclation should be ppoa vc-mux
dhcp set to enabled
vpi 0
vci 38
enter your plus net username and pasword and you should be done

when saved you should be up and running and you can look at the dsl parameters to see how its working.
The routers home page is

http://www.addon-tech.com/wldl.html#
N/A

PlusNet and Vista

Thanks for coming back to me. I have been through the whole setup process, including typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and typing addon as both the username and password, but nothing happens. I have also checked the ipconfig settings and these are fine. I'm taking the modem back to the supplier tomorrow - just a little pieved - and will come back with more.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

PlusNet and Vista

If you are getting to the username/password screen then it appears they are connected up correctly. It may be the username/password has altered or become corrupted.
You could try factory resetting the router and then go through the setup process to see if that works.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

plusnet and vista

i am buying a new computer and was told by plusnet support that vista won't support the BT Voyager modems, but instead I should use a modem/router...so I'm guessing vista only supports wireless?!?!

Most odd