cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

N/A

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

I was "Upgraded" from a 2 Mpbs to MaxDSL about two months ago and only at 4 am in the morning have I ever had a speed test higher than I use to enjoy on the previous service. That test speed was 3.5 mbps. Usually its about 25 - 50 % of my previous speed (2 mbps).

My line length from the exchange is 904 m. I've been through the complaint process with PlusNet about slow data rates and have got nowhere - they say its down to BT equipment & contention.

However my brother-in-law just happens to be the BT area manager. He arranged for an engineer to test my connection and data rate at the exchange and also visited my home with a BT modem to connect to their server. At the exchange, the engineer could download data at 7.6 mbps and at my home 7.1 mbps.

Consequently I have concluded that PLUSNET are deceiving me with regard to where the problem lies with my download speeds. The BT engineer suggested that it is PlusNet's server that is actually the problem.
I suspect PlusNET are using the "Up to 8 mbps" wording of their service to allow them to give a poorer service to their customers.

I have been advised that the best way to improve my service is to switch to another service provider.
By the way, my brother-in-law lives in the same town, slightly further away from the exchange and get 7 mbps download speeds. He is with BT Yahoo.

Regards,
Alistair
8 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

I am on PLUS up to 8

my old DLink Router I could only het 3.5mb I swap it and Now i am getting 7.5
Community Veteran

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

That’s interesting, I am currently getting about 3.5M out of my 604+, and if the sync speed goes above 4M it overheats and lacks up, and that with the covers off.

May be time for a new router.

Chilly
N/A

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

Alistair,

A few things to try out:

1) Check your sync speed as per your router...
If this is slow its a problem somewhere between the exchange and you - currently the problem I'm having - trying to get BT to give me a clearer line.
2) Check your download speed using http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ This tests speed with BT not with PlusNet so if this is slow then its a BT issue.
3)Try the above with another router/modem

Hope this helps

Andy
Clink

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

I'm experiencing a similar problem since my connection was "upgraded". Occasional increase to 3.5mbps but it often falls to 1.2mbps whereas before I was consistently on 2mbps.
N/A

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

Andy - Tried the BT Speed Test.
It reports 5.3 mbps at 21:15 this evening.
Immediately tested with PlusNET and ASDLGuide speed tests and they agreed at 1.5 mbps.

Does that suggest the problem is at least partly with PlusNet?

I use a Netgear DG834G v2 modem with the latest firmware.
Doesn't this have a good reputation as an ADSL modem?

Thanks for you comments.
Alistair
N/A

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

I have no doubt that responsibility for the dreadful download speeds I am now achieving since being 'upgraded' to 'Up to 8Mb' can be laid at the door of PlusNet.

I am 955m from my exchange, have a rock solid DSL download sync speed of 8.1Mb (current connection time is 16 days) and have never achieved more than 2.9Mb according to the PlusNet speed test.

The dreadful speeds, just like the dreadful customer service is nothing to with BT or the technology of 'Up to 8MB' but PlusNet.

Oneclick
N/A

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

Hmmmm it does seem that way, when I was moaning about my speeds a few weeks ago I was told to perform the BT speed check a number of times at various points of the day, this would then enable them to work out where the problem was.

I don't understand how some people get good speeds to PlusNet and others not, you would have thought that if PlusNet had a problem then everyone would suffer.... I moved house in September and dropped from 4.5 megs to just under 1 meg. This can all be attributed to my sync speed and noisy line, BT and PlusNet agree what my speed is. And by hacking at wires in the house I've increased my speed to nearly 3 megs.

Netgear are supposed to be good, although I think they come into their own on noisy lines like mine, I seem to be able to hold onto sync to as low as 3dbs ratio where most allegedly cut out at 10db - I'm not an expert though.

Have another moan at PlusNet and give them the stats for BTs speed test over a 24 hour period. Maybe try ADSL guide's test too.

Hope this helps

Andy
N/A

PlusNet Max_DSL Myth

IMO "up to 8M" is economical with the truth whoever it comes from, as an 8128k sync speed still appears to get a 7150k profile speed so "up to 7M" would be more accurate. If noone can actually get 8M download it could just as well been called up to 100M or up to 1G.

It's odd that plusnet's speed tester could measure 2M speed off a 2M connection, 1M speed from a 1M connection etc, yet it doesn't even get close to the profile speed on max'ed lines.

I have 8128k sync but BT still report only 4596k which is still probably the highest I've seen.