cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet IP Range

Gryzor
Grafter

PlusNet IP Range

Trying to setup my remote MySQL db but need the address range that PlusNet uses to configure the security correctly. I know those on the higher priced product get a fixed IP but those on the cheaper product do not. What range is it?
9 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet IP Range

I think PN use multiple ranges, try doing a whois on your IP, it should give the netrange there.
Community Veteran

PlusNet IP Range

PN use somewhere around 40 different IP ranges to cover all their products (and that does not include the 5 or so rabnges used by Metronet customers who are now part of PlusNet) and add additional ranges as the need requires so that is not the best way to secure connections.

Also I don't fully understand what the OP is actually trying to do?
Gryzor
Grafter

PlusNet IP Range

MySQL on the host I am using requires connections from specific IP addresses to allow connections. From work I have entered those of our 2 ISPs and as I am working with a colleague on the website his static IP has been entered from Force9.

I am currently on the 'El Cheapo' PlusNet package with an IP that can change, in order to allow my connection I would therefore have to enter the PlusNet IP range used by my package. Does anyone know this IP range or am I going to have to shell out extra cash for the fixed IP?

I think that should have cleared things up Smiley
Community Veteran

PlusNet IP Range

I don't believe PN publish the IP ranges they use for BB+ - you can find out the ranges PN use but not what they are used for - and I think the ranges have changed (i.e. expanded) to cope with the influx of BB+ new signups in the past 6 months or so. Also if PN believe you will use more than the 5GB allowance, they will put you on a static IP to monitor your usage. Therefore there is no definiative list of IP ranges that are used for BB+.

I think you are going to have to switch to a product that has a static IP.
N/A

PlusNet IP Range

wow how to squeeze even more money one, why cant someone from PN just say what ranges they own? (why keep it so secret!)

have you tried to query RIPE to see if the ip ranges that PN have registerd show up there?
Community Veteran

PlusNet IP Range

As I stated you can find out what ranges PN have but not the ranges used for BB+.

And I'm sure the OP does not want to put all the PN IPs into the allow list so anyone from PN can connect to their MySQL server.

From a security point of view, and only as a result of the requirement to lock down their MySQL server, the only sensible solution is to move to a static IP. This is not PNs fault but an incompatibility between the type of account the OP is on and what they want to actually do.
hitachi
Grafter

PlusNet IP Range

Just hammer your bb+ and you will be put on a static ip for monitoring.
N/A

PlusNet IP Range

do broadband+ IP's resolve to a reverse name? If so.. can you run some sort of script that does a rDNS lookup on the IP to make sure it is postfixed *plus.com ?
benoh
Grafter

PlusNet IP Range