cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet DNS has split again??!!

N/A

PlusNet DNS has split again??!!

It appears the PlusNet DNS servers has gone off again.

I can't access websites other than ones on this network (PlusNet)

I tried to get ADSLguide.co.uk to run a test,
but it's taking 12mins and more to load a blue background. and nothing else.
I restarted IE so it's not that.
the DNS is gone again.
Plus the speeds are rubbish.

As i have said before, and many others, the speeds when they drop, are worse than a 56k modem.
and it's becoming a regular thing now.

Pain in the *A*

When will someone sort this?
you know what. i think never.
if PlusNet have network engineers on hand,
why does this keep happening all the time.

Im changing DNS onver to BT, and hopefully i will get a decent connection!
*sighs*
And i was just saying the other day, it gets better at night time.. well not tonight.
it's terrible my end.

All i can access is things on PlusNet's network. nothing outside.. cause it's all too SLOW Sad
--
Jason
=====
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PlusNet DNS has split again??!!

Not again, just as I have noticed today this portal has speeded up, everything else has slowed to the worst I have ever seen it!
N/A

Hi Tina,

well i don't care anymore...
i pay £23.99 a month and i don't get half the service i pay for anymore.

So if i get banned for posting DNS servers i dont care. im so *p* off with PlusNet now i have given up.

Try these to they help (not the PlusNet ones)

PlusNet DNS Servers:

BT DNS Servers:

Cableinet/Telewest DNS Servers:

Blueyonder DNS Servers:

--
Jason
=====
N/A

OK i have calmed down now.
i logged off and back on again.
i havent changed DNS yet..
as PlusNet is working again.

The time of failure started @ 00:23:13
i was FTPing to Spotlife
(http://www.spotlife.com/users2/scotlandlive/webcam)
where my webcam page is. and it just stopped responding. Ok since i have outside access again i shall do a speed test! Smiley
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Nope no luck.
i spoke too soon.

ADSLguide.co.uk is taking ages to load.
so either there is a problem with the internet,
or it's the DNS as i said.
right. im changing the DNS to BT this time!
will keep you informed.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

ADSL Guide went to this BTW:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Im changing DNS now...
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Same problems here, was working for about 15 mins, all dead again apart from this portal.

Utter rubbish - service has been rubbish lately, and i require lots of FTP'ing.

PLUSNET service is becoming a major pain in the a**

I feel i should get a refund for this ***** service.

N/A

Well i'm on BT DNS...
and i still can't get to adslguide.co.uk
no more than their blue background screen.

Everything else is ok.. IE: www.spotlife.com
will try another source for a speed test..

BRB..

Ok www.dslreports.com was available.
adslguide.co.uk i can't get.

results:

2002-10-23 21:32:09 EST: 455 / 232
Your download speed : 455427 bps, or 455 kbps.
A 55.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 232693 bps, or 232 kbps.

URL to my test: http://www.dslreports.com/archive/plus.com?r=699

Oh well can't complain at moment.
but adslguide is having some sort of problem at mo!
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Hi Simon,

I know it's rubbish!.

Did you try the DNS on BT.
seems a little better.
but i still can't access adslguide.co.uk
had to use an american site as above.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

I dont know if this had anything to do with the probs earlier on but i suspect it did. My connection went down at the same time as everyone elses did but it seems i was the only one that was not surprised about this happening. If you had looked at the service status announcements you will have seen this.

ADSL - Planned Maintenance Update
Dear Customer,

Further to the announcement on the 14th October, regarding the planned upgrade to some of the BT Fujitsu Line Cards, BT have contacted us again and are sorry to report that there has been a delay in testing.

The delay means that the upgrade is behind schedule and will not be carried out between the 15th and 18th October as planned. The work will be now be undertaken by Fujitsu, the DSLAM suppliers, starting on 23rd October and
completing on the 26th October.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this re-arrangement.

Regards
Customer Support

I am sure that the previous post about this for the work to be carried out between the 15th and 18th October said that there would probably be problems for something like 15 to 30 mins. If i am correct about this you all need to get your sorry caps on and appologise to +net. Oh and by the way it may happen again over the next 2 nights if you look at the dates. Of course this does not excuse the bad connection speeds that we seem to be getting.
N/A

How long have you been with PlusNet Mr Felter? ive been here since October 2000 (2 years now)
This has nothing to do with the work on the exchanges, it has been going on and off for months now.
Not just at this time where there is some repairs going on.

PlusNet have a problem and need to sort it.
simple as that.
The sorry cap will come from PlusNet and not from customers paying £23.99 a month since April 2002 for a service which isnt as reliable as stated in the agreement and advertisments.

You only need to check the older posts on this forum to see that. Upstream and loss os DNS is becoming a regular thing on here.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

LOL i just LOVE the my d*** is bigger than your d*** gets me every time.
If you read my post, i am not saying that the service is great, what i said was complaining about last night when it was advertised that it might happen is a bit stupid and pointless. If you read the forums you will also have noticed that i have also commented on my bad speeds that i am getting but there is sod all i can do about it. You say that you have been with them for 2 years, then the service can not have been that bad because if it had then you would have left by now to try and find a better service, unless of course are a bit stupid thinking this is bad but it will get better round the corner. Please dont take it out on me when all im doing is pointing something out to you and other people. Oh and if you read the note from plusnet you will notice that they are saying sorry.
N/A

Thats not what i meant.
there is alot of newbies on here who praise PlusNet too much, they don't realise how long lots of people have been suffering is all.

Thats what was ment.

Anyway yes i could have took Telewest cable, Blueyonder is right under my street.

But i choose to stay with PlusNet b/c i had been with them since the beginning nearly, on dialup.

I like the forums, i like talking to people here, i like the support people, i like the CGI server, i like everything..... appart from the crappy connections we get.

Im sure it will sort out soon.
im in a lot of pain with heartburn m8, i already had two zantacs, maybe thats why im cheeky.
im sorry.

Have a good morning. Smiley
--
Jason
=====
N/A

James

It wasnt just Adslguide that dissapeared yesterday, I ran traceroutes to cnn.com, news.bbc.co.uk, www.sover.net all results the same ie they dont exist.

This happened sometime after midnight as I lost all connectivity to just about anywhere, im running traceroutes every 60 minutes on a cron job on my linux box monitoring Plusnet network stability from what i have so far from the traces thay actually responded the problems regarding the speed not the DNS issues seem to be at Level 3 servers from which im picking up a lot of timeouts indicating massive packet loss.

Methinks Plusnet should change who they peer with.

Anyway im off to a new ISP (Nildram hopefully) next year when my annual contract runs out but would prefer to leave now but cant afford the legal costs of getting out of the contract Sad

Ali
N/A

I'm finding connecting seems ok but definitely noticed a huge slowdown in DNS resolution with most sites timing out.

I haven't seen a Plusnet explanation to the slow down but am presuming that because of the RAS box upgrades there are many more dialup connections having to share the remaining pipes from them hence the slow performance.

Then again I could be talking rubbish but it sounds good innit?

What's Plusnet's explanation?