cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Broadband network layout?

Dizzley
Grafter

I'd find it really interesting to see a schematic with a walkthrough showing how a broadband connection is routed and what all the bits are (DSLAM, pipe, local exchange, PlusNet servers etc.) Nothing commercially oriented but enough to see where contention plays its part and some impressive figures and so on.

What is the general UK broadband set up and Plusnet's end too?
I don't suppose all this is somewhere on the portal?

Yours wondering where all those bits go,
Pete
9 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

There is a link at the bottom of most Plusnet page on the portal called 'Our Network' which links to http://www.plus.net/general/network_ADSL.html

Is this any help?

Phil
N/A

If I can find some nice little graphics, I will try and compile a nice image showing the basic network structure as the public knows it (as we all know, there is a tonn of stuff we don't know).

I could do with doing these for another project anyhow Smiley
Dizzley
Grafter

That's a really good start! I feel I know something about the Plusnet network now. What does it look like at my exchange? What does BT's link to Plusnet's Redback routers look like?

/Pete
N/A

Take a look HERE for some photos of exchange side equipment.
Dizzley
Grafter

Oooh! Don't over-excite me. Wink

My curiosity is being overwhelmed. Looking inside a BT exchange was a little like the advice "if you like sausages, don't ask how they made".

Still don't have a good "feeling" for how ADSL is provided. E.g. what is a pipe? How and where are subscribers' connections bundled? How do BT use tunneling?

/Pete
N/A

Well - If you want as accurate picture as possible, you will have a long wait. It is certainly something I want to make as part of marketing material for myself anyhow.

The problem is, you talking about an file/image that has an insane filesize.
Dizzley
Grafter

It's not an accurate diagram I want to see. I want to see a logical diagram showing typical structures: where BT aggregate connections, which bits they go through etc.

Having a physical diagram is a bit of a dead loss as it will be fast-changing and it will be a soulless task keeping the drawing up-to-date. The PlusNet Our Network diagram is pretty good though. I'm after some description of the rest.

All interesting stuff so far.

Pete
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Did you see this link of ADSLGuide http://www.adslguide.org/howitworks/

I think that every thing from and including the Home Gateway Router are at PlusNet.

The so called 'Fat pipes' are the connections from the BT ATM cloud thing to the Home Gateway Router. I think PN have 10x 155Mbs links and 622Mbs link. And now a secound 622Mbs but this is only partly used. With these Larger ATM links you can get the full 622 installed but only use part of it Eg 100Mbs. These links can be brough on-line segement at a time. Saves money.

Phil
Dizzley
Grafter

Thanks Phil, that's an excellent start. As the author of that page says it's hard to come by that information. I love the last bit of the chain (...and the rest of the Internet).

/Pete