cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet ADSL Queries

N/A

PlusNet ADSL Queries

Hi,

After a three month campaign I've finally managed to persuade enough people to register for ADSL so that BT will upgrade the exchange here in Metheringham, they are expected to announce a date for service on Tuesday. Although a service date might well be 3 months away, I am looking around for ISPs and equipment already.

Questions,

Do PlusNet have any plans to introduce a monthly contract ADSL service where the activation fee is bundled into the cost? From conversations many people seem to have had bad dialup experiences and are very aware of the downfalls to a 12 month contract.

If a 12 month contract is taken, is it possible to upgrade and down grade to say the 1MB service?

Thanks for your help,

Stephen Creasey
7 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

PlusNet ADSL Queries

Hi Stephen,

We already offer an ADSL service where the activation fee is spread over the first year, that costs £27.38 for the first year, but then drops to to £21.99 after that time. Any ISP that is prepared to subsidise a £50 cost (Which has to be paid immediately to BT) and not enforce a one year contract, are making a slightly dodgy business case imho (or are not doing what they say at all - Maybe charging you £80 for a £30 modem or some such thing).

As an aside, there might be some potential for us to offer a product which has a fixed cost (ie doesn't drop after the first year), which would cost say £28 a month and would provide a USB modem and free activation, as well as spam and virus checking. This would then directly compare against the AOL, BT and Freeserve offerings. The problem with this approach is that you lose flexibility of products and would still have an annual contract... I would be interested in our customers comments about how popular such a package might be?

Regards,
N/A

PlusNet ADSL Queries

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I agree with what you are saying, its just a lot of people would perhaps choose ZEN offering free activation, monthly contract for 27ish I think. Not saying I would but have heard some people especially in my campaign area who would like to reduce the set up costs by as much as possible.

Personally when I move to ADSL I would like to stay with PlusNet, purely for the good reviews and good support because as you know many ISPs provide a much lower level of support and not when its always needed! My intention is to set up a wireless home network when ADSL is enabled here.

What about the upgrading? In a 12 month contract is it possible to change between ADSL packages?

Thanks again,

Stephen
Ianwild
Grafter

PlusNet ADSL Queries

Hi There,

WRT to Zen, their offer expires in 8 days as far as I know. There may be reasons for an ISP to do this, but obviously an ISP that does this is taking a huge risk in terms of liability. I don't want to go into the economics too much (Mainly because it can get very boring) but I have my suspcisions about why ISPs might want to do this and only time will tell whether this has been viable for Zen (And Virgin too I think).

I guess it actually doens't make too much sense to try to find an ISP now, if your exchange is still 3 or 4 months away from activation - I have no doubt that thiongs will be very different at that point...

Regards,
N/A

PlusNet ADSL Queries

As someone who's just got ADSL after a long campaign, i say choose Plus net no wires, and get an alcatel internal pci modem. It works brilliantly with xp, and i'm getting pings less than 20ms on www.jolt.co.uk

Thanks PlusNet!
N/A

PlusNet ADSL Queries

Hi Ian,

Do you care to enlighten us with your views on what is likely to change over the next few months.

I would be interested to hear an outlook.

Thanks,

Stephen
N/A

PlusNet ADSL Queries

What about the upgrading? In a 12 month contract is it possible to change between ADSL packages?

Watch out when upgrading. It appears that you will lose service for between 7 and 10 days according to PlusNet ... and there's no way to find out exactly how long or when it will happen. Good ol' BT, eh?

Dave
Ianwild
Grafter

PlusNet ADSL Queries

It depends on what products your upgrading from and to with regard to ADSL downtime. Any change between a 50:1 and a 20:1 product will need a Cease and reporvide and at least 7 days downtime. A change between ADSL Home Surf and ADSL Home can be completed in two or three minutes.

In terms of the market changes - If I could predict that far ahead I wouldn't be sititng here at half past ten on a friday night!

We are currently in what will probably be the most competitive phase of the broadband rollout, with ISPs looking to undercut each other in any way they can for the sake of market share. That is a bubble that will burst (Liek it did with unmetered), and the prices will stabilise at a reasonable level (ie about where we have our price points!). ISPs can't sustain subsidising people's connection fees in the long term without charging more at the start...

Ian