cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus.net ADSL: Bad for Online Gaming

N/A

Plus.net ADSL: Bad for Online Gaming

HERE IS THE ONGOING TOPIC, NOW BUMPED UP TO THE TOP OF THE LIST.........PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST, NO THE OTHER. CHEERS.

Error 404:
(simeqn)

Plus.net ADSL: Bad for Online Gaming Post Reply
Although, the speed for online surfing has definitely been an improvement, the stability of the connectivity still has to be looked at.

The frequent interuptions of disconnection while playing online games, is something that cannot be ignored. Unlike surfing, a temporary disconnection is nothing to fret about, but a disconnection while playing an online game is a different matter altogether, not in the least its annoying especially to the enjoyment of that game.

Perhaps, Plus.net don't place any importance on online gaming, but I believe a majority of those that sign up for the ADSL service do so BECAUSE of the lower ping rates, which means better gameplay. The worst aspect of an unstable connectivity for gamers is sometimes losing their place on a server, or losing their score in a tournament game. For tournament games, I probably would not recommend Plus.net ADSL at the moment until they have a stable service.

I hope that Plus.net will look into this matter, and improve the service as they are always willing to do.

Date: 17/11/2002 13:53:14
Bannor
(neilclan)

RE: Plus.net ADSL: Bad for Online Gaming Post Reply
I to am getting the connection dropouts, losing routing for about 30-60 seconds at a time, making gaming impossible, on the phone to Plusnet right now.

Ali

Date: 17/11/2002 14:18:17
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

Exactly the same here! So glad to know i'm not the only one again. please let me know what thy say to you over the phone!

Date: 17/11/2002 14:32:39
Bannor
(neilclan)

> I to am getting the connection dropouts, losing routing for about 30-60 seconds at a time, making gaming impossible, on the phone to Plusnet right now.
>
>
> Ali

Just raised a ticket regarding the dropout problem.
Lets see what the answer to this one is, seems i am unable to ever get a weekends gaming in this year due to Plusnets abysmal network, its bye bye for me in April.

Ali

Date: 17/11/2002 14:34:35
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

I reaised a ticket about it yesterday morning, so you have a long wait

Date: 17/11/2002 14:35:47
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

* (still no reply from them yet)

Date: 17/11/2002 14:36:05
Bannor
(neilclan)

> * (still no reply from them yet)

Phone took to long so i hung up Chris, and used Contact instead.

But I did post a warning in ISPR forums to a guy asking if Plusnet were any good told him not to touch them with a 10ft barge pole.

I hope people pay attention and dont end up coming to Plusnet and end up with the ***** we have had to put up with and are still putting up with.

Ali

Date: 17/11/2002 14:46:24
Felter
(ferretone)

mines has been fine for playing games. I did get them when I first got ADSL but that was because my modem was setup wrong.

Date: 17/11/2002 16:27:59
SnowyC
(sternhouse)

The only thing WRONG with +NET is that they show how much care about gaming by having no game servers. Those F9 ones are out of date and not run by +net or something so don't even think about it.

Your next poll on the portal should be, what do use your connection most for:

1. Surfing
2. Uploading/Downloading
3. Online Gaming
4. Shoutcast Streaming
5. Video Streaming

In my case, it's ALL OF THE ABOVE obviously.

Date: 17/11/2002 16:44:05
Error 404:
(simeqn)

One of the main reasons that I joined Plus.net ADSL was to get better ping times. Actually, it wasn't too bad at first.. up until the recent upgrade, I'm just getting constant dropouts.

I think they should look at the problem soon, because I'm sure that the majority of subscribers here are also gamers.

We should keep this thread going by showing Plus.net that there actually is a gaming community on ADSL.

Date: 17/11/2002 17:28:33
Bannor
(neilclan)

> We should keep this thread going by showing Plus.net that there actually is a gaming community on ADSL.
>

I run a Dungeon Siege server or did until these dropouts and all the rest of the problems.
Plus i play UO, MOHAA online on a regular basis, havent been able to play much over the last few months which kind of defeats the whole point of me getting DSL.

Ali

T Minus 5 months until im bye bye.

Date: 17/11/2002 17:38:19
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

Just got a reply to my ticket.

Dear Customer,

I have checked your account and all seems ok. Have you tried switching off all your equipment and leaving it off for at least twenty minutes? This should clear your problem.

Regards,

Support

Grrrrrrr!

Date: 17/11/2002 18:24:15
Bannor
(neilclan)

> Just got a reply to my ticket.
>
> Dear Customer,
>
> I have checked your account and all seems ok. Have you tried switching off all your equipment and leaving it off for at least twenty minutes? This should clear your problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Support

What utter ***** Plusnet support are that they continue to spout this inane checksheet pap.

Date: 17/11/2002 18:33:04
Gwyn Miles
(gwynmiles)

> Although, the speed for online surfing has definitely been an improvement, the stability of the connectivity still has to be looked at.
>
> The frequent interuptions of disconnection while playing online games, is something that cannot be ignored. Unlike surfing, a temporary disconnection is nothing to fret about, but a disconnection while playing an online game is a different matter altogether, not in the least its annoying especially to the enjoyment of that game.
>
> Perhaps, Plus.net don't place any importance on online gaming, but I believe a majority of those that sign up for the ADSL service do so BECAUSE of the lower ping rates, which means better gameplay. The worst aspect of an unstable connectivity for gamers is sometimes losing their place on a server, or losing their score in a tournament game. For tournament games, I probably would not recommend Plus.net ADSL at the moment until they have a stable service.
>
> I hope that Plus.net will look into this matter, and improve the service as they are always willing to do.
>
>My connection on online games was rock solid up until this recent upgrade. Now it's a nightmare!!! Downgraded connection not Upgraded
This is pathetic service.

--

Date: 17/11/2002 19:32:26
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

> >My connection on online games was rock solid up until this recent upgrade. Now it's a nightmare!!! Downgraded connection not Upgraded
> This is pathetic service.

And what tops it is Plusnet not even acknowledging there is a problem, despite so many people all coming to the forums at once to complain about the same thing. It's obvious there's a problem, it just takes *ages* for them to realise it

Date: 17/11/2002 19:46:38
Jason Turner
(thunderbolt)

> Although, the speed for online surfing has definitely been an improvement, the stability of the connectivity still has to be looked at.
>
> The frequent interuptions of disconnection while playing online games, is something that cannot be ignored. Unlike surfing, a temporary disconnection is nothing to fret about, but a disconnection while playing an online game is a different matter altogether, not in the least its annoying especially to the enjoyment of that game.
>
> Perhaps, Plus.net don't place any importance on online gaming, but I believe a majority of those that sign up for the ADSL service do so BECAUSE of the lower ping rates, which means better gameplay. The worst aspect of an unstable connectivity for gamers is sometimes losing their place on a server, or losing their score in a tournament game. For tournament games, I probably would not recommend Plus.net ADSL at the moment until they have a stable service.
>
> I hope that Plus.net will look into this matter, and improve the service as they are always willing to do.
>
>

>>

Yup im getting drop outs too when im playing a game.

Date: 17/11/2002 19:48:18
Victoria Cleaton
(kiaora)

Me too! enough to kick me out of game but not off the server select screen, great when you are only tank in group eh?

annoyed paladin 8P

Date: 17/11/2002 20:17:42
Jennifer Harney
(thatplace)

I play an online game - Legend Of Mir - but due to the fact that the server i play on has been down for nearly 2 weeks i dont know if i am getting more lag or frequent lagouts. I have noticed that webpages are taking longer to load in and my download speed hasnt been very good tho.

Date: 17/11/2002 21:08:26
SnowyC
(sternhouse)

another random outtage lasting 60 seconds to report:

C:\>ping www.plus.net

Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.137:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>time
The current time is: 21:51:43.81

Whatever i'm downloading or playing has to be reset to get it working again...so thats the 5th time today i've had this...i wouldn't notice except that i've been at the computer all day working with du meter showing me in real-time when all bandwidth has been cut off.

Date: 17/11/2002 21:56:07
William Allan
(daveallanCool

Ive also been having these connection dropouts. I use my ADSL a lot for playing Counterstrike and drop outs ruin your game, score and your evening.

Come on Plusnet. There obviously is a problem. Get ot sorted.

Dave Allan

Date: 17/11/2002 22:50:51
Error 404:
(simeqn)

Last night, I got dropped from a CounterStrike server just when I was about to beat my highest score ratio, thats partly the reason why I started this complaint topic.

This afternoon, I worked really hard to get my team in Natural Selection to a good winning position, about to get victory, and yup, you guessed it, got dropped. It's really annoying, at least with dial-up I had a reliable connection.

These are just two recent cases, but I've noticed the dropouts to be more frequent since the so-called 'server upgrade'. As usual the drop outs last about 30 - 60 seconds, before I can 'retry' the server connection, and like someone said before, I can list my servers but I can't connect the server I was playing on.

The most annoying thing, is finding a good server, and then being dropped, retrying to log on again, and finding that its full. That really sucks.

I totally DON'T recommend Plus.net for online gaming, especially now, if they are not acknowledging that there is a problem.

I can tell by the number of posts that this is not a minor problem. At least somebody from Plus.net should TEST the connectivity, maybe they haven't thought of that yet?!

Keep the complaints coming!!

Date: 17/11/2002 23:54:30
Zerex
(vanuk)

I am on the same boat here, I play online games on the westwood server, (command and conqure) and get dropouts too.

So plusnet whats your solution this time? Do you guys ackonwledge there is a problem? Don't ask us to just reboot our equipments.... we haev done that and still getting disconnected.

--

Date: 17/11/2002 23:57:30
Eddie Wood
(eddiewood)

Yup me too, been getting serious problems playing several different RTCW servers, really ruins it.

Come on Plusnet please reply.

Ed.

Date: 18/11/2002 00:07:36
Error 404:
(simeqn)

The problem is definitely NOT client side. I hope they will do something quick.

BTW, if this thread is about to get buried, could someone COPY all the posts, and repost the topic to keep it alive?

If people want a good gaming ISP, they have to know that at the moment Plus.net ADSL sux.

> I am on the same boat here, I play online games on the westwood server, (command and conqure) and get dropouts too.
>
> So plusnet whats your solution this time? Do you guys ackonwledge there is a problem? Don't ask us to just reboot our equipments.... we haev done that and still getting disconnected.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>

Date: 18/11/2002 00:10:28
SnowyC
(sternhouse)

Another report:

C:\>ping www.plus.net

Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>time
The current time is: 0:13:48.29

Thats the 6th or 7th time. There's definitely something wrong but what (even if it only lasts for a few minutes at a time)?!

Date: 18/11/2002 00:17:51
Error 404:
(simeqn)

Snowy, did you post this to tech support?

> Another report:
>
> C:\>ping www.plus.net
>
> Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
>
> Ping statistics for 212.159.8.137:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
>
> C:\>time
> The current time is: 0:13:48.29
>
> Thats the 6th or 7th time. There's definitely something wrong but what (even if it only lasts for a few minutes at a time)?!

Date: 18/11/2002 00:37:54
Eddie Wood
(eddiewood)

I've had a reply...

Dear Customer,

Please see service status announcement here regarding packet size and speed issues: https://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2

If you want further assistance please provide upto date traceroutes to the particular sites you are having problems with.

Regards,
Support

Date: 18/11/2002 08:59:45
Bannor
(neilclan)

Well the reply to my contact was certainly less than overwhelming saying they were aware of the outage problem but were hoping that it had resolved itself, is that living in dream or what?

Ahh but my faith in them has not been shaken, they are "monitoring" the situation well that just makes me feel a whole lot better here Plusnet you take this £23.99 from me go on take it i insist your doing a wonderfull monitoring job.

Ali

Date: 18/11/2002 10:19:55
Chris Chappell
(chappell)

I would like to add my voice to the ever growing list of discontent on-line gamers.
I've had numerous drop-outs this weekend, yesterday being particularly bad.
I'm another one who will be switching service providers if this is not sorted out soon.
And it used to be so good, ie up to about 2 weeks ago.

Date: 18/11/2002 11:05:32
Penguin-ni
(penguinni)

Apart from the odd slow web page (especially this forum) my connection has been fine. BUT I also have experienced more line interuptions this weekend than ever before on RTCW servers - usually 7-8 minutes into a beat the clock game with about a minute to go!

Date: 18/11/2002 11:16:14
PlusNet Customer Support
(support)

Hi,

I have had a long look at the thread that has been generated here and I would like to allay any concerns that some customers may be experiencing with their ADSL connection and alleged implications that their issues are associated with our network.

I would like to point out that we have received scores if not hundreds of comments from customers who have provided us with positive feedback with regards to our recent network upgrades and maintenance.

The comments have been received from all mediums that we monitor such as adslguide.org.uk, ispreview.co.uk, our own web based forums and newsgroups and also USENET based newsgroups such as uk.telecom.broadband and alt.internet.providers.uk and our own Contact Us ticketing system.

We have also been monitoring our network extremely closely during the last few weeks and we have not had a service affecting ADSL connection issue since last week on the 13/11/02.

We are confident that all customers who are still experiencing connectivity problems should raise them to us either via the telephone or by our Contact Us system and we will look at them on a individual basis.

As we have announced last week there are ways to improve a ADSL connection and the statement that we made is still available at the following link under the title MTU repost:

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2

I have also posted here a link that corroborates our statement from a user on the ADSL Guide forum who has changed his systems MTU settings:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=490369&page=0&view=collapsed&...

We would also like to point out that we are still very proactive in trying to ensure that all customers have a sound and fully functional ADSL connection. There are important issues that need to be addressed before a connection can be said to work optimally:

1, Line and quality from exchange

2, MTU settings

3, Configuration

In respect to gamers and their ADSL connections not working as expected we would like to say that there have not been enough reports in the last week for this to be identified clearly as a generic problem.

If you are experiencing the symptoms highlighted in this thread and you have checked the three points noted above then there it is likely the issue is individual to your connection and should be raised as such.

Best Regards,

Dave.
--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

Date: 18/11/2002 11:33:18
Error 404:
(simeqn)

I'm going to change my MTU to 1458, as I've tried pinging the plus.net servers with MTU 1500 and getting 100% packet loss.

I think its most likely that the people who are having problems, are running Win XP pro version, which default MTU is best suited for LAN networks.

I'll change the MTU, and keep you informed of any improvements.

> Hi,
>
> I have had a long look at the thread that has been generated here and I would like to allay any concerns that some customers may be experiencing with their ADSL connection and alleged implications that their issues are associated with our network.
>
> I would like to point out that we have received scores if not hundreds of comments from customers who have provided us with positive feedback with regards to our recent network upgrades and maintenance.
>
> The comments have been received from all mediums that we monitor such as adslguide.org.uk, ispreview.co.uk, our own web based forums and newsgroups and also USENET based newsgroups such as uk.telecom.broadband and alt.internet.providers.uk and our own Contact Us ticketing system.
>
> We have also been monitoring our network extremely closely during the last few weeks and we have not had a service affecting ADSL connection issue since last week on the 13/11/02.
>
> We are confident that all customers who are still experiencing connectivity problems should raise them to us either via the telephone or by our Contact Us system and we will look at them on a individual basis.
>
> As we have announced last week there are ways to improve a ADSL connection and the statement that we made is still available at the following link under the title MTU repost:
>
> http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
>
>
> I have also posted here a link that corroborates our statement from a user on the ADSL Guide forum who has changed his systems MTU settings:
>
> http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=490369&page=0&view=collapsed&...
>
>
> We would also like to point out that we are still very proactive in trying to ensure that all customers have a sound and fully functional ADSL connection. There are important issues that need to be addressed before a connection can be said to work optimally:
>
> 1, Line and quality from exchange
>
> 2, MTU settings
>
> 3, Configuration
>
> In respect to gamers and their ADSL connections not working as expected we would like to say that there have not been enough reports in the last week for this to be identified clearly as a generic problem.
>
> If you are experiencing the symptoms highlighted in this thread and you have checked the three points noted above then there it is likely the issue is individual to your connection and should be raised as such.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Dave.
> --
> | David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

Date: 18/11/2002 12:15:00
Reset
(reset)

> Hi,
>
> I have had a long look at the thread that has been generated here and I would like to allay any concerns that some customers may be experiencing with their ADSL connection and alleged implications that their issues are associated with our network.
>
> I would like to point out that we have received scores if not hundreds of comments from customers who have provided us with positive feedback with regards to our recent network upgrades and maintenance.
>
> The comments have been received from all mediums that we monitor such as adslguide.org.uk, ispreview.co.uk, our own web based forums and newsgroups and also USENET based newsgroups such as uk.telecom.broadband and alt.internet.providers.uk and our own Contact Us ticketing system.
>
> We have also been monitoring our network extremely closely during the last few weeks and we have not had a service affecting ADSL connection issue since last week on the 13/11/02.
>
> We are confident that all customers who are still experiencing connectivity problems should raise them to us either via the telephone or by our Contact Us system and we will look at them on a individual basis.
>
> As we have announced last week there are ways to improve a ADSL connection and the statement that we made is still available at the following link under the title MTU repost:
>
> http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
>
>
> I have also posted here a link that corroborates our statement from a user on the ADSL Guide forum who has changed his systems MTU settings:
>
> http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=490369&page=0&view=collapsed&...
>
>
> We would also like to point out that we are still very proactive in trying to ensure that all customers have a sound and fully functional ADSL connection. There are important issues that need to be addressed before a connection can be said to work optimally:
>
> 1, Line and quality from exchange
>
> 2, MTU settings
>
> 3, Configuration
>
> In respect to gamers and their ADSL connections not working as expected we would like to say that there have not been enough reports in the last week for this to be identified clearly as a generic problem.
>
> If you are experiencing the symptoms highlighted in this thread and you have checked the three points noted above then there it is likely the issue is individual to your connection and should be raised as such.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Dave.
> --
> | David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

So there ain't nothing wrong it's all you lot out there with a good imagination, think positive peeps and all your troubles will go away.
No matter how much whinging and moaning is done your on your own cos plusnet say so.
The answer lies in your own feet, plusnet don't care how many leave cos there's always another mug round the corner. And what pi**es me off is that I was one of the mugs.

--
Reset

Date: 18/11/2002 12:17:03
Homerlovesbeer
(homerlovesbeer)

Error 404 My pings have been fantastic and I have had no dropouts during gaming until my problem last night. It sounds to me like my USB modem wasn't getting enough power through to it properly so kept loosing link status. After a reinstall it's been fine. I hope the 1458 MTU change helps ya. my connection is through XP and I'm gaming on my laptop using internet connection sharing and gaming on the XP machine similtaniously. No problems ever (apart from the initial MTU settings to get sharing to full speed) and great pings as low as 15 but average 20-40. Can't complain about that! I gamed last night for 3 hours straigt with no probs after the screwup

Cheers mate!
Homerlovesbeer

Date: 18/11/2002 13:39:53
PlusNet Customer Support
(support)

Hi There, We are happy to investigate any ADSL issue that come our way, we are also confident that ADSL connection problems can be resolved if we arrange on a customers behalf to have a BT engineer visit their premises, change MTU and also completely investigate the way that you have the cables and filters arranged inside your home/office.

We do indeed take connection problems seriously and we do wish to see them all resolved.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--

Date: 18/11/2002 13:57:20
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

Fobbing us off again. Just answer this one question: how come this problem only started one day after the upgrades? We were all fine up until then. Are we expected to believe all of our telephone lines deteriorated in quality at the same time or what?

Date: 18/11/2002 14:14:17
PlusNet Customer Support
(support)

> Fobbing us off again. Just answer this one question: how come this problem only started one day after the upgrades? We were all fine up until then. Are we expected to believe all of our telephone lines deteriorated in quality at the same time or what?

Christine,

I am honestly not fobbing you off. I would raise your issue as suggested with all the times of the connection failures, all the symptoms that occurred so it is domumented correctly and include all trace routes to game servers that you were using.

I assure you that your account will get the attention that it deserves.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--

Date: 18/11/2002 15:01:34
Eddie Wood
(eddiewood)

Same old automated reply. Check your equipment blah blah. Heard it so many times only for the problem to be at Plusnet.

My equipment and line is FINE, it was BEFORE the recent upgrade and is STILL fine now.

I didn't get online gaming issues, now I do. Pretty damned obvious that myself and others have got a problem that is just being ignored.

Tonight I am setting a "ping www.plus.net -t" to see if I get any loss. Suggest others do the same.

Ed.

Date: 18/11/2002 16:10:25
Victoria Cleaton
(kiaora)

I am having the same problem, different game from the sounds of it too (everquest). I happen tp play with another plusnet user(gavin parry) (in a different county!) and we go linkdead at EXACTLY the same time. Much to the excitement of the group thats just been left without a tank or enchanter - now I chose adsl because im an online gamer and for no other reason so this is a big issue.

Date: 18/11/2002 16:11:58
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

> Christine,
>
> I am honestly not fobbing you off.

I asked of you one thing, one question I asked you to answer in the post you replied to and you SKIMMED RIGHT OVER IT! If you weren't fobbing me off you would have answered that question.

Date: 18/11/2002 16:42:15
PlusNet Customer Support
(support)

Christine,

There were many problems after the upgrades had taken place which we acknowledged and posted to our announcement pages. The problems that you experienced after the upgrades had taken place were also evident to a large percentage of our DSL customers and we have never denied that.

We were very proactive in informing everyone who uses our ADSL services what the state of play was at all times.

We even posted when our ADSL engineer was stuck in traffic. I'm sure you'll agree that we also made our customers aware when we decided to roll back the services to their status prior to the upgrades.

Due to the number of reports we have received with regards to this issue I have escalated this to our networks department for investigation although due to the nature of the problem we have no definite timescale before an update will be available.

We will of course keep you updated accordingly.

Best Regards,

Dave.
--

Date: 18/11/2002 17:26:36
Christine Brooks
(pendulum)

Support,

Once again you have not actually answered the question put to you, however I note:

Due to the number of reports we have received with regards to this issue I have escalated this to our networks department for investigation

And I take that as a little bit of a U-turn from your original stance of "We are 110% sure nothing is wrong with our network."

Hopefully now that you accept that a network problem could be the cause considering how many complaints you have received, the problem will be fixed soon.

Date: 18/11/2002 17:44:51
Phil Fear
(fearless)

Adding some evidence of my own experiences, although slightly contrary to those already posted:

Joined in the week immediately preceding the upgrade. Connection speed to surfing & downloads exemplary, but all online gaming impossible, both before and after the upgarde.

Tried CS, DoD, Q3A, Jedi Knight II, UT 2k3 demo, Battlefields 1942 demo and Diablo II.

Running ME on Athlon 1.1Ghz, BT Voyager USB Modem.

Used same games (except for the two demos) and kit on BT Broadband a few months back with absolutley no hitches and superb ping for about 3 months.

Interestingly, Diablo II does work for a while and gets the 'connection interrupted' symptom you all refer to.

Also, tried Battlezone I & II this week, where players act as their own hosts, and both worked no problem at all.

Tried the MTU tweak suggested by many, and found absolutely no change to the situation.

I have a ticket that's been open for about two weeks and have most recently been asked to provide traceroutes, along with details of which servers I frequent, plus a suggestion to try F9's own servers.

Well, regardless of server (I tend to coast around using matchmaking software on public servers) I have seen no difference to the result. And that goes for F9's CS server as well.

I have not tested this exhaustively, as the manifestation of these issues on my machine usually results in a complete hang, with associated reboot necessary.

In CS, I can spectate quite happily, it seems, but I hang as soon as the round starts where I am to join in.

Before the upgrade, I did get some non-fatal errors, with parse_errors and 'invalid user' errors (specific to CS) appearing. I don't even seem to get these now.

I am still not sure, but there aseems to be a possibility of a config change needed at my end, but this is definitely linked to the manner in which Plusnet deliver their service. Remember that I used the same kit on BT BB with no issues whatsoever.

Date: 18/11/2002 18:50:36
Chris Matchett
(sealpup)

I have a ticket being ignored regarding this and seeing the same thing all over adslguide

Again problems started AFTER the 'upgrade'. Pings look good but game play freezes every few seconds with nasty lag spikes

Date: 18/11/2002 20:00:50
Eddie Wood
(eddiewood)

Not exactly exhaustive but here are my pings to their web server. Gaming has been pretty good for me today, no changes at my end, but it may be weekends that are the problem!

I should of course get NO PACKET LOSS AT ALL...

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 97, Lost = 3 (3% loss),
Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 201ms, Average = 29ms

Tracing route to portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms sms.core.telehouse.plus.net [212.159.1.106]
3 19 ms 21 ms 18 ms jalpiaza.core.telehouse.plus.net [212.159.1.242]

4 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms dolpiaza.core.telehouse.plus.net [212.159.1.82]

5 27 ms 27 ms 30 ms atm.core.plus.net [212.159.1.65]
6 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms rhogan1.core.quay.plus.net [212.159.15.250]
7 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms alteon1.core.quay.plus.net [212.159.15.230]
8 30 ms 27 ms 30 ms portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]

Trace complete.

Date: 18/11/2002 23:34:31
Darren Clarke
(darrenc)

Add me to the list of random disconnections and bad lagg while playing UT2003.

I've been posting my problems on ADSL Guide and i've not been getting far, i didn't realise there was this many people with the same problem.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=

Any news on what the problem is and when it might be fixed?
Are plusnet agreeing there's a problem?

Date: 18/11/2002 23:36:10
Darren Clarke
(darrenc)

why doesn't this thread get Bumped to the top??

Date: 19/11/2002 00:27:04

5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Plus.net ADSL: Bad for Online Gaming

Thanks for bumping this up, just wanted to add, that after the MTU value change in the registry, I still haven't witnessed much, if any, change.

Gaming, is still laggy at times! I haven't used that term 'lag' in ages, not since I had dial-up.

N/A

> Thanks for bumping this up, just wanted to add, that after the MTU value change in the registry, I still haven't witnessed much, if any, change.
>
> Gaming, is still laggy at times! I haven't used that term 'lag' in ages, not since I had dial-up.
>
>

In case u didn't know lag isn't always a connection problem but more often than not, a server issue. Are you connecting to servers in the UK or europe, or do u expect awesome gaming on US servers?

just wondering
Homerlovesbeer
N/A

Still getting freezes, last one 17:10

Update plusnet?
N/A

Just read the service status... you got there in the end Roll eyes
N/A

> Just read the service status... you got there in the end Roll eyes

What i still dont understand is why support constantly repeats the "our network is ok" line when everyone is telling them different, have they not learned from their last fiasco, all they need to say is "that they will look into the problem and will let you know if they find anything" what is so difficult about doing that?

I really believe that better support training needs to be addressed within Plusnet as the constant checksheet pap handed out just aggravates an already worsening situation, these people would not be hired within a large corporation certainly not any i have worked for, where the helpdesk personnel are extremely technical literate within the applications and networking field and yes they do follow checklists but once that route is exhausted their own experience comes into play at that point you really can appreciate their skills, mind you these people dont come cheap.

Plusnet is already very good at communicating now it just needs to communicate the right messages.

It wont really matter to me as im leaving at the end of my contract but i hope things will improve for others.

Hoping to get some gaming before I leave as soon as this new bug fix is put in Smiley

Ali