cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

N/A

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

I have just moved from dial-up to Broadband with Plusnet. Am having trouble sending e-mails with Netscape 7.2. Each time I try and send I get a pop-up window saying - " Mail Server Password Required", which I cannot clear. I have been told that this can be switched off somewhere in the Netscape setup. I have hunted high and low but cannot find where to do this !
Any ideas please ?
Many thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

Hi,

Unfortunatley, not being a Netscape user myself, I can't really offer anything specific - but have you looked at this page? I'm not sure if Netscape Communicator and Netscape are the same, but I doubt they would vary much in their setup.
N/A

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

Have seen the pages you refer to. They are similar to Netscape but neither seem to contain any reference to removing the Password requirement.
The problem does appear to be within Netscape as I have set up an account with Outlook Express and that is working fine: well - as fine as Outlook can !
Community Veteran

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

Sending emails does not require authentication, only receiving so if you have configured the SMTP server to authenticate disable it and try again.
N/A

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

Agree with (and tried previously) what you say - that is what is so strange. I can receive mail but not send it. The only reference to authentication in the set-up appears to be - "use secure authentication" under "Mail and Newsgroup Settings" and "Server Settings", and that is unchecked.
Community Veteran

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

Ok I think this explains your issue: Netscape User Feedback. Use relay1.plus.net instead of relay.plus.net as it looks like you have an old version of netscape which always tries to authenticate SMTP even though it is set not to.

If that is the solution I would suggest you look at upgrading your email client to one that is more recent like Mozilla, as your current client may have more problems in the future due to it's non-compliant RFC activities with SMTP authentication.
N/A

Plus Net/Netscape e-mail

VERY MANY THANKS - problem solved - Netscape up and running !

I can honestly say it would have taken me a long time to find that one on my own.
Agree with the gent in the previous thread, it does show "relay1" in the Netscape illustration, but the text just says "relay".