cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please tell me I've done the right thing.

N/A

Please tell me I've done the right thing.

Have just signed up to plusnet after searching the web for suppliers with good user feedback. However now I am a member I look in the forum and see nothing but users slagging the service. Are things that bad? Please say that I am not going to be underwhelmed when my broadband goes active in 7 days
10 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: Please tell me I've done the right thing.

The problem is that for about 90% of users there are no problems with DSL however with for the 10% of users they do have problems,

The people who have problems are usally the only people who post in here....

However you look at any ISP through ISPreview.co.uk (their forums) you will see that they all have problems!!

cUnDaLl

Ommin
Grafter

> The people who have problems are usally the only people who post in here....

>
> cUnDaLl
>

Except for yourself that is :-)

Hugh

N/A

> The problem is that for about 90% of users there are no problems with DSL however with for the 10% of users they do have problems,

Not true.

There have been DSL network problems over 6 months or so. Anything from high pings to serious packet loss. They "lost" a 155mbit pipe for example last week. They have had high pings since xmas up until very recently which they finally admitted to.

+net are like any ISP, they have problems. It is only when they fail to admit that there *is* a problem that I get annoyed.

+net are the best ISP I have been with, when they are good, they are VERY good.

Nildram is probably an ISP that was on your list, see the major problems that they are having recently, that's ISP's for you I'm afraid and the grass is always greener...

Ed.
N/A

Best ISP I've ever been with. I have mates on all manor of suppliers costing a lot more and subject to yearly contracts, and their service is no better than mine, and we get a lot more.

N/A

> Have just signed up to plusnet after searching the web for suppliers with good user feedback. However now I am a member I look in the forum and see nothing but users slagging the service.

There is no motivation to make posts saying I am happy with the service, so the only people who initiate posts are those with complaints. Any ISP will have customers who have reason to complain. Looking at forums for other ISPs reinforces my last statement.
Personally, I have been very happy with Plusnet. I prefer them to the other four ISPs I have used and ADSL was a delight from the moment that I had it.
N/A

Most people seem to have a bad start. Maybe the ISP's should post more info for users on setting up their systems in easy to read, simple step by step pictorial instructions. Once up and running most users are happy. Plusnet works fine, they've a good helpline and respond quickly to your calls. But.... they could save themselves a lot of wasted time and improve their own productivity if they just gave out an info.pdf to all newcomers. Or an online step by step guide. Yes you've done the right thing just hang on in there.
N/A

You have made a good decision. The features to price offered by plusnet are superb.

Plusnet have made a statement already on the current problem, which is really down to a delay in installing new equipment.

As the work is scheduled for Thursday so by the time your on line the system should be speeding along.
oliverb
Grafter

Bad news always travels fastest. Come to think of it if anyone tried to tell me ten years ago that we'd be able to get a continuous network link into our homes for an easily affordable price I'd have said it was crazy, I still vaguely remember 300baud modems.

I'm over the moon about ADSL right now since I got it working fully today. I've even been able to use our existing coax network to share the connection between every PC in the building.

Also ADSL users are notorious for demanding extreme performance, especially gamers. I'm not aiming to be a LPB, just want fast downloads, and an end to the battle for control of the "fax line" at work. Near instantaneous email is a bonus. I'm weighing up the pros and cons of running an email server vs shoving the problem off on plusnet by creating lots of mailboxes (another excellent feature).

> Have just signed up to plusnet after searching the web for suppliers with good user feedback. However now I am a member I look in the forum and see nothing but users slagging the service. Are things that bad? Please say that I am not going to be underwhelmed when my broadband goes active in 7 days

N/A

> I've even been able to use our existing coax network

Ahhh, thin ethernet and T pieces, those were the days....

Ed.

N/A

>I've had our 3Com 612 Router working for 3-4 weeks and all 5 (!) of our home computers successfully access the adsl line, even at the same time. Its an old thin ethernet (BNC) setup and it works fine through a (free) proxy server called AllegroSurf. The connection has dropped twice in that time and takes a bit of fiddling to start again (I have to modify internet settings in the 3com utility - a minor irritation which is mentioned elsewhere). I've had prompt and on the ball support from PlusNet over various small problems by raising tickets. It all seems fine to me.
> Bad news always travels fastest. Come to think of it if anyone tried to tell me ten years ago that we'd be able to get a continuous network link into our homes for an easily affordable price I'd have said it was crazy, I still vaguely remember 300baud modems.
>
> I'm over the moon about ADSL right now since I got it working fully today. I've even been able to use our existing coax network to share the connection between every PC in the building.
>
> Also ADSL users are notorious for demanding extreme performance, especially gamers. I'm not aiming to be a LPB, just want fast downloads, and an end to the battle for control of the "fax line" at work. Near instantaneous email is a bonus. I'm weighing up the pros and cons of running an email server vs shoving the problem off on plusnet by creating lots of mailboxes (another excellent feature).
>
> > Have just signed up to plusnet after searching the web for suppliers with good user feedback. However now I am a member I look in the forum and see nothing but users slagging the service. Are things that bad? Please say that I am not going to be underwhelmed when my broadband goes active in 7 days
>
>