Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please recommend a DSL Router to me!

Stef
Grafter

Hi,

My home phone exchange has just been upgraded to ADSL so I think I will try and go for the £18.99 Plusnet option as I don't need Usenet binaries or peer-to-peer.

Initially I have got two/three home computers to connect which I plan to do with Cat5.

What 4Port/Router/DSLmodem/Firewall box would you recommend and who would you suggest I buy it from?

It would be good to have some feedback from somebody actually using the product.

Many thanks in advance,

Stefan Cheesy
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Netgear DG814 is pretty good, had one myself for over a year with no problems.

Has buit in standard NAT type firewall protection and a content filter. Also has a buit in 4 port switch (bit like a hub). No idea how much they cost now but they can be bought from many places such as Dabs - www.dabs.com , Ebuyer www.ebuyer.co.uk and Insight - www.insight.com/uk .

Chris
Community Veteran

I agree with the DG814 - incredibly simple to set up, and each revison of the bios seems to increase its functionality somewhat.

There have been bad noises made about the latest release, 4.8. I, however, have not had a problem with it, so YMMV.

Barry.
N/A

I just got an ASR 8400 from Ebuyer. Here's a post I put into "Hardware".

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9594&highlight=
Stef
Grafter

Thanks...

Hmmm DG814 vs ASR8400 :?

I wonder if its worth the extra £50 for the Netgear Firewall :shock:

Views would be much appreciated Cheesy

I am currently leaning toward the Netgear unless anybody can convince me that I don't need the Firewall :?

Cool (It's hot today!)

Regards, Stef
N/A

I am told that, for personal use, you can download a free firewall from Sygate (sp?). I'm in the process of checking this out.
N/A

N/A

I am using the DSL-504 (with BT Openworld, still waiting on migration Smiley ).

This has 4 Ethernet ports, and has the ADSL modem built into the router.

It took me five minutes to get going, and has been working with zero problems to date. It doesn't auto-configure like I've heard some routers can, so you have to tell it the ADSL line settings (which Plus.net provide).

The web interface is clean and easy to use. It also has a few neat features, like DNS caching and UPnP (so programs like Microsoft Messenger can still function 100% despite being NATted).
Stef
Grafter

Thanks for the sygate link

Thanks for the www.shopinternet.co.uk link too...

(Whilst I want the router for home use I have a mind to use a similar product in the office too once I have evaluated it *so* I am still leaning towards the Netgear...)

Cheers & thanks again, Stef

Cheesy
Community Veteran

To be honest, the 'firewall' included with the Netgear DG814 isn't really a firewall, but is an inherent security feature due to the fact that the netgear does NAT translation.

I'm assuming the other router is a NAT router, so will provide exactly the same level of protection.

The reason I recommend the Netgear is that it is built and maintained by a reputable comms company. The interface is extremely simple to use in general, and very simple to set up for PlusNET.

Barry
N/A

For info, the ASR8400 auto-configures. Put in the user prfoile PlusNet provide and your password and away it goes. It picked up my static IP and everything.

Oh, and yes, it is a NAT router.
Community Veteran

Yes I can agree that the Netgear 4 port router is fine I dont use it myself but have set a couple of them up for peaple and they are fairly easy and just work.
I am actually using the D-Link 504 which again was a doddle to set up and has given now problems.
However looking at the D-Link web site it no longer seems to show the 504 so it may be being replaced by something else.
If it is then you may well find some bargains with outlets selling off stock?
N/A

If You've already got the hub side of your network the SAR 110 is worth a look.

While I was waiting for mine to arrive I did a LOT of reading on security and I feel the SAR 110 offers some good features once you get it set up properly.

I especially liked the "Blacklist" feature which will stop most outside port scans in their tracks.

It's fairly easy to set up and does perhaps offer a lot for the future as one learns more.

I guess they all go up to 8Mb / Sec?
Stef
Grafter

Hmmmmm

So we now have the Netgear DG-814 vs the D-Link DSL-504 both for around £95.

The D-Link UPnP feature sounds nice but the Netgear 'content filter' feature sounds nice too.

Does Netgear do UPnP?

What does the Netgear 'content filter' do - is it useful?

I wonder - can either of these boxes be remotley manged from over the Net?

So which is it to be the DG-814 or DSL-504 :lol:
Stef
Grafter

or ASR8400 or SAR 110+4-PortSwitch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all this info, V. Useful